New Place, New Stuff

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
"Striving to be the change."
I would love to have more of the old profile fields back: bio, current & past pursuits, challenges & themed weeks completed, etc. The link to one's check-in thread is super useful too!

Is the limit on post length hard? I tried to set up my check-in thread tonight, but the new forum is rejecting my post on account of its length.

Further to @Andi64 's question above, this editor is allowing me to select text, but the highlight colour is barely any different from the regular background colour. Is is possible to have greater contrast there?

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
"Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today"
I liked the quote or whatever it was called you could put into your profile a lot. The one that appeared in italics on the right side of your profile picture. Having that one back would make me happy.
Or maybe it's already there and I missed it. I have a hard time finding things here, tbh. But I'll manage.

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
Today I am missing alerts which I knew were there yesterday but which I have not yet checked. Is the site auto-removing alerts once we get to a certain limit? If yes, can it be reset to only remove alerts we've checked? I know a bunch of threads I follow have been updated since I last checked them, but I now have no manageable way of finding them.

JohnStrong

Guardian from Alberta
"No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates"
Today I am missing alerts which I knew were there yesterday but which I have not yet checked. Is the site auto-removing alerts once we get to a certain limit? If yes, can it be reset to only remove alerts we've checked? I know a bunch of threads I follow have been updated since I last checked them, but I now have no manageable way of finding them.
I've been noticing this phenomena lately too.

neilarey

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Shieldmaiden from Greece
"Trust The Awesomeness"
@Laura Rainbow Dragon @JohnStrong
We can tweak the settings. I am going to list current settings and if you let me know what you want them set to, we'll change them!

Days to retain viewed alerts: 4 days
Alerts per-page: 30
Days to retain viewed alerts in popup: 7 days
The alert popup will show all unviewed alerts, plus any viewed alerts that were viewed within the time frame (in days) before now. Note that the total amount shown in this popup is limited to no more than 25

And since we are on the subject:
Hours to retain read conversations in popup: 72 hours

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
Hmm... I think the problem is with how the site is interpreting "viewed alerts".

I try to check into the Hive every day. But I don't have time to read everyone's threads every day. So I check my alerts page. I see the alerts listed on the page. If any are replies to questions I've asked, posts I've started, or new News items, I check them right away. Meanwhile, there are a whole bunch of additional alerts for threads I follow but did not initiate. These I don't have time to view until the weekend. So what I'm finding is this:

1. a bunch of people updated their check-in threads on Monday
  2. I visited the site on Monday, viewed my alerts page, viewed the threads listed there I check daily, but left the weekend-only threads to visit today
  3. a bunch more posts were made during the course of the week to the threads I only check on weekends
  4. today I viewed my alerts page with the plan to visit all of the threads listed there. but alerts for any threads that were updated prior to Wednesday have now been wiped from my list. even if the thread was updated again on Wednesday or later, I still don't have an alert for it.
My preference is for the alerts to expire after I've clicked on them and viewed the thread they refer to. It would be fine (in fact preferable) for them to expire immediately after I've done this.
I don't want my alerts to ever disappear just because I've seen the alert in my alerts feed (but not actually checked the thread it refers to).

Is this possible?

Last edited:

mavie

from germany
Pronouns: she/her
I gave up working with the alerts early on because I did not get how they work.

I'm back on track since I discovered the filter option under new posts. One can set the default option to new and watched and when I'm done with those I change the default back to new only.

Main setback here is that one cannot use the back button like in the old hive but has to tap/click through the menu and scroll again.
Alerts I only scan for likes and if there are any, use as a quick way to my log.

If there are better ways to handle I'm keen to know.