Favourite dishes?

koriandr

Heroine from Europe
Pronouns: she/her
"Headbanging to classical music"
Oh I can sit here all day writting what I love....so I'll just make it simple for me and for the reader lol. (I've not tried every single food in the world and most of which I haven't tried from the main source, so I may miss out on some foood)

So it goes like this:
> Asian (I've tried a lot of chinese, japanese, korean, thai, arabic, turkish and indian dishes, and spicy food being my most favourite, it's just obvious why I chose this as my most favourite lol)

> Italian (I've grown up on italian foods mainly, so it's hard not to love them)

> Mexican (it just holds a special place in my heart)

> American (Cmon, who doesn't love burgers!?)

>Balkan food in general (Greek, Serbian and Bulgarian dishes are just out of this world)

>Belgian (waffles and chocolate, every woman's best friends)

>English (Fish and chips is definitely a must once a month)

>French (baguette.)

Sif_Shepard

Fighter from the Normandy SR-2
"ad astra per aspera"
Oh fun, I love this thread already. I love international cuisine (and spicy food too, the hotter the better!). Mexican and Italian are lifelong favorites of mine, as a vegan I can't get enough Indian food as it's so easy for us and so delicious, Asian food- Korean vegan meals are some of my all time favorites, and for the past year I've been getting into Slavic cooking. My favorites so far are Chebureki, Borscht, and piroshki. I feel like a perk of living in the u.s. is that there is authentic international cuisine just everywhere so it's easy to find new stuff to try (a little harder as a vegan but it's gotten a lot better in the past few years!).

Oven's preheated so it's time to make enfrijoladas! :D

OJJJEM

Mother of Dragons Posts: 583
I will have to return to this thread many many times. :ss:

This weekend, I am preparing my favorite chili (which I've shared a million times already, but what's one more, right?)

It'll be a part of a chili cook-off. I'm thinking about using this recipe for a non-vegan chili, too... just to show off how versatile it is. :happy:

Strangely, I love bland foods most of all... hahaha!

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
"Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today"
I grew up with my father cooking Russian dishes, so they'll always be my favourites. Especially pierogi made by the hundreds and typical stews like borschtsch and schtschi.
I also like Käsknöpfle with onions and apple sauce, because my grandmother always made those when we were visiting. Knöpfle are some kind of pasta, made with cheese (käs) obviously. 1A comfort food and one day, I'll finally bring up the courage to make them myself. I miss them.

Kanary

Amazon Pronouns: she/her
"For the Light! For Victory! For Cake!"
I may just love food. I love Thai and Mexican, I love both American-Chinese and more traditional Chinese. I love Japanese food and Indian and I love a good hamburger or gyro. I have a friend with whom I go borscht sampling (the Russian community center has the best borscht in Seattle IMO but if you have a contender, I promise to give it a fair try because I have no association with the Russian community center beyond going to their borscht sales).

This week's batch cooking was an Italian-inspired eggplant casserole.

If you judge just by my grocery shopping and eating habits, my favorite food might be yogurt since I seem to buy it every time I'm at the store and eat it in some form almost every day. But that's more because yogurt is a good base for so many things: Add fruit and it's breakfast or dessert. Add salsa and it's a savory dip. Add a little to that soup that's missing something and now it's delicious.

koriandr

Heroine from Europe
I grew up with my father cooking Russian dishes, so they'll always be my favourites. Especially pierogi made by the hundreds and typical stews like borschtsch and schtschi.
I also like Käsknöpfle with onions and apple sauce, because my grandmother always made those when we were visiting. Knöpfle are some kind of pasta, made with cheese (käs) obviously. 1A comfort food and one day, I'll finally bring up the courage to make them myself. I miss them.
Oh I love pierogi and chebureki!

koriandr

Heroine from Europe
Pizza is one fave, all kinds and often order the Canadian which has pepperoni, bacon and mushrooms.

Pâté bought pork and duck liver/fat onion and garlic, on white french bread.

Chicken wings just plain crispy wings with none of that sauce.

Fries and gravy or curry. and always like a good Burger. Also with fries - Halibut in batter.

Potato pancakes.
Ooh I always have paté laying around for those days when I don't feel like cooking!

koriandr

Heroine from Europe

This weekend, I am preparing my favorite chili (which I've shared a million times already, but what's one more, right?)

It'll be a part of a chili cook-off. I'm thinking about using this recipe for a non-vegan chili, too... just to show off how versatile it is. :happy:

My partner is the same lol. She loves bland foods for some reason, hence why I can't make her eat half of the food I make, because I like it spicy....veryy spicyyy

koriandr

Heroine from Europe
Oh fun, I love this thread already. I love international cuisine (and spicy food too, the hotter the better!). Mexican and Italian are lifelong favorites of mine, as a vegan I can't get enough Indian food as it's so easy for us and so delicious, Asian food- Korean vegan meals are some of my all time favorites, and for the past year I've been getting into Slavic cooking. My favorites so far are Chebureki, Borscht, and piroshki. I feel like a perk of living in the u.s. is that there is authentic international cuisine just everywhere so it's easy to find new stuff to try (a little harder as a vegan but it's gotten a lot better in the past few years!).

Oven's preheated so it's time to make enfrijoladas! :D
Chebureki are a godsend! :heart:

koriandr

Heroine from Europe
I may just love food. I love Thai and Mexican, I love both American-Chinese and more traditional Chinese. I love Japanese food and Indian and I love a good hamburger or gyro. I have a friend with whom I go borscht sampling (the Russian community center has the best borscht in Seattle IMO but if you have a contender, I promise to give it a fair try because I have no association with the Russian community center beyond going to their borscht sales).

If you judge just by my grocery shopping and eating habits, my favorite food might be yogurt since I seem to buy it every time I'm at the store and eat it in some form almost every day. But that's more because yogurt is a good base for so many things: Add fruit and it's breakfast or dessert. Add salsa and it's a savory dip. Add a little to that soup that's missing something and now it's delicious.
Yeah I had a period when I ate only cottage cheese....every.single.day. :D

koriandr

Heroine from Europe
@koriandr banitsa reminds me of burek, at the downtown market there's a stand you can watch them make it, we usually get the spinach and cheese with sour cream on the side.

Yeah they are very similar! (And those with the spinach sound so good, I love spinach :D)

Polkadotsandsuperglue

That is a great recipe and I have found many yummy go to recipes on Detoxinista. Plus I have all her cookbooks.

Polkadotsandsuperglue

Like Ellenos yogurt? 😋

Polkadotsandsuperglue

@koriandr thank you for sharing and raising the question. I am having fun and learning a lot, looking up the different foods mentioned. Where I live, there are many different cultures. This has given me the boldness to walk into a local Balkan or Turkish deli and try a dish. I am food adventurous, just never know what to order.
Definitely piroshky, banitsa and burek are on the list to try.