Fail Forward

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
"Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today"
@OJJJEM sounds very pleasant, disregarding your amazing presence for now, which sounds like an argument for North Carolina in itself already. I like people who keep to themselves but can be hospital if needed. Maybe, at one point, entering the USA from outside won't be such a PITA any more, then I would dare another trip. For now, I have no connections to the States any more, so no reasons to suffer the whole procedure. I had a green card once, thanks to my home country having almost no immigrants to the USA :LOL:

Dumbbell Full Body routine, the WotD (One Minute Plan, TWICE!) and a short run. That would be Day 6.

I'm currently reading the second book of the Selection, and I seriously start to wonder if maybe romance books aren't made for me, or this one is a special kind of stupid, or if young people romances just are like this. But I lost count how of how many times I wanted to grab the main character in the one hour I was reading, shake her, screaming "Why are you such an idiot! What's wrong with you? Why the hell do you always backpedal from your decisions and make it hard on everyone else?" I don't know, if it weren't for the underlying plot that's somewhat interesting I would have surrendered already. I'm not the target group, I get it, but either the character is a special kind of stupid, or that's just how romance novels work.

Good thing: I had one of those amazing lifting sessions today where I made progress on everything, the weights felt light and easy to lift, and it was just awesome. More of this, please.

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
@Sif_Shepard thanks! I liked the first book well enough, although the heroine was already behaving a bit irrationally and egoistically. But the second book cranks it up to mach 3 and I wonder why that is.
Any good recommendations for nice romance stories that are secondary to the main plot, to use your own words? I'm intrigued and curious.

Sif_Shepard

Fighter from the Normandy SR-2
Pronouns: she/her
"ad astra per aspera"
I don't read enough purely romance books to really comment on the first part, it could be a trope of the genre or just maybe poor character development in that specific book. As for nice romantic secondary stories, I actually find that to be pretty common in fantasy and urban fantasy in particular. They usually fall into the category of slow-burn romance, I think because they're secondary to the plot in nature so they need more time to build. I'm pretty sure most of the books I've recommended to you earlier have that element. I'll let you know if I think of any other good ones.

Calico

Witcher from France
Pronouns: It/She
"Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations"
@Sif_Shepard thanks! I liked the first book well enough, although the heroine was already behaving a bit irrationally and egoistically. But the second book cranks it up to mach 3 and I wonder why that is.
Any good recommendations for nice romance stories that are secondary to the main plot, to use your own words? I'm intrigued and curious.
I'm not sure if the romance will be present enough as I don't really read romance books, but In the Vanishers' Palace (by Aliette de Bodard) that I talked about some days ago (I think it was here) has that I think.

Also this : https://app.thestorygraph.com/books/5270f422-1005-486a-a598-190060639575 (again not sure if the romance is present enough but it's there throughout the book at least?) (Non-Player Character by Veo Corva)

And this: https://app.thestorygraph.com/books/97d777d8-a679-4bc3-977f-16b945d1960d (This is How You Lose The Time War, by Max Gladstone and Amah El-Motar). This one's listed as a romantic book, romance as a main genre, but it's a very weird one. I loved it, even if I didn't understand all of it. Others hated it. It's certainly peculiar.

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
@Sif_Shepard I still have all your past recommendations on my list and was looking through them today, after finishing the book yesterday. I'm having a bit of trouble choosing the next book, maybe I've read so much in the past days/weeks that I need a break, idk. But I'm always open for more, regardless.

@Calico yeah, I have the Vanishers' Palace still on my list. Non-Player Character sounds interesting, but to be honest, I have trouble understanding and getting behind the queer subjects and people referring to themselves in the third person plural. I've tried reading a book with that once, but I always stopped at "they" or "their" and needed a moment to figure out who that was. I guess I'm not ready for that, yet. This is How You Lose the Time War sounds weird from what I've read, but intriguing. I put it on the list. Maybe if I'll read it, I understand the other parts and we can fill the gaps or something. Thanks for the recommendations.

Not much workouts today. Only the WotD (Rule Breaker). Still, Day 7.

I've been awake since 4 o'clock in the morning because work and since returning, I'm kind of in a funk without really being tired. I've tried playing Sims 4, for whatever reason, but didn't understand what was going on. One of the most causal casual games and I feel overwhelmed. Maybe too much content with all the DLCs. Or not my kind of game. No idea.

Good thing: Found out that cooking soup noodles in left over pumpkin curry tastes surprisingly good.

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
Today was very pleasant outside, with temperatures in the middle twenties and a good amount of sunshine. As soon as I could, I went outside and spent the rest of the daylight hours there. Which basically boils down my workout to running and one of the last swims of the year. I still count it as Day 8.

Good thing: Will have a late night walk with my other half in a bit. It's still relatively warm and pleasant.

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
After yesterday was warm and pleasant, today was less warm and rainy. Inside day, it was. Well, not exactly inside, we were in the city for some much needed store runs. Were back home late, so just the WotD (Standing Mobility). Day 9.

I'm reading a stupid romance novel now dealing with a Texas sheriff and a lawyer, two adversaries, but now he must help her because of reasons, I guess. Why am I reading this? I have no idea. Sometimes, I just browse for books, stumble upon something and I think "Eh, not in a thousand years" and for some reason next I think "I'm going to read this front to back, even if it hurts, because it will hurt. A lot". And here I am.

Good thing: I got a job offer that might be less sucky than the current job I have taken on. No idea if I'll take it, though, but it's something.

Sif_Shepard

"ad astra per aspera"
I'm reading a stupid romance novel now dealing with a Texas sheriff and a lawyer, two adversaries, but now he must help her because of reasons, I guess. Why am I reading this? I have no idea. Sometimes, I just browse for books, stumble upon something and I think "Eh, not in a thousand years" and for some reason next I think "I'm going to read this front to back, even if it hurts, because it will hurt. A lot". And here I am.

:D

Good luck with the job offer and deciding what's best for you!

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
"Motivation is temporary. Discipline is forever."
One year, I decided to read through the library. Quite enjoyed Ben Aaronovitch but when I had to read something about a hedgehog (The Elegance of the Hedgehog, if I remember aright) - actually, I don't think a hedgehog actually made an appearance, or perhaps I just didn't make it that far. Very much not my cup of tea, but at least I gave it a go. But people kept borrowing books and returning them when I'd already passed that shelf so I didn't keep it up. I quite recommend Aaronovitch, though.

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
@Sif_Shepard thanks. It's mostly the decision between getting up on Sundays at 4 o'clock and doing something boring and unfun, or having more relaxed work times on the weekend in the company of someone insufferable but doing something potentially remotely fun. Not an easy one :LOL:

@TopNotch I looked up the Hedgehog book "In an elegant hôtel particulier in Paris, Renée,..." and already lost interest. Doesn't sound like my cup of tea, too, and not so ridiculous that I would read it anyway. I've put the Rivers of London on my to-read-pile, though. Book number 112... and here I am, reading stupid romance novels that don't even interest me.

@Froud thanks. It's not a matter of going to an interview, it's just a matter of giving a call and saying "yep, I'm there next Saturday". It's nothing formal or big, just a small side gig for the season. I would do last year's job again, where I had a work pony, but I don't have the time for that one this year. Sadly.

My dumbbell fullbody routine was up today. Made some progress, disliked Squats, liked the Bench Press, hated my weak triceps, pretty much the usual. Also, the WotD (Wildfire). Day 10

Good thing: All around, it was a fantastic day

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
@Froud it's not so bad, I still visit my equine work buddy every few weeks for a short ride :LOL:

@Sif_Shepard ah, another night owl, I see. I had to shift my bedtime to 2 o'clock since I got an apprentice and can't open whenever I feel like any more. But, yep, 4 o'clock had been mine for a long time, too. And I've chosen the new job offer. Maybe the person that asked me isn't as insufferable as he was years ago any more. One can still hope :please: If all else fails, I don't have to do it for long.

Looks like the golden October is nearing its end, next week should see some colder temperatures. So, another day spent outside, with running and another swim. And the WotD (Andromeda), although I don't like this one. Day 11.

I should finally get off my butt and look for a dog. It would make next season much easier.

Good thing: Some days, you just do the usual things you more or less do every day and suddenly you realise how precious or enjoyable they are. Today was one of those.

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
@Sif_Shepard thanks, I will see tomorrow :LOL:

@Anek yep, I have a Dachshund and a Husky, but I'm still lookign for a second hunting dog that's larger than Fitz, who's woefully unsuited for everything bigger than badgers and foxes, even though he has quite the temper and would probably take on a mammoth if they were still a thing. And Hime... she's even more unsuited. I was at a breeder this year, actually, for another dog and really fell in love with the little girl, but I would have needed to take two and I can't take in another one, so I'm still on the lookout. I was a bit slow and lazy, to be honest.
@OJJJEM exactly :LOL:

Another day of the dumbbell fullbody routine. Stalling at the hammer curls, but so far, it has gone quite well. If it's the same next week, I have to go down with the weight on that one. Also, the WotD (Armour Abs) and a run. Still warm here. Day 12.

Good thing: And because it's still warm outside, we had a round of bunny watching today. They're still on good terms with each other, so I'm suppose we're good on that front.

Have a nice weekend, everyone.

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
Not much done today, only the WotD (Back on Track). Day 13

I walked a lot today, though, and carried stuff around for a good chunk of the time. That must count for something, too. Interestingly, despite my initial misgivings, the job wasn't so bad. The guy had been a PITA when I got my licence under him, but years later he at least acknowledged my experience, which was nice, I guess. Could have been worse.

Good thing: And I could sleep until 9 today and will do so tomorrow. Best part of the job.

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
How do you start a post after some time of abscence when reading all your nice posts without feeling weird? Idk, but I spent the last twenty minutes thinking about that. Didn't come up with a clever way, aside from "I'm back".

So, I'm back. I would say a month wasn't all that long, but it still felt a bit like an eternity. On my second day at the job I took on I had an accident involving a car and a ladder. The result was a short stay at a hospital with a concussion, a broken nose and a couple of cuts and bruises. I'm mostly okay now, physically at least, and already got the clearing to get back into action two weeks ago. Careful action, at least. Took me a bit longer, though, because I got hit hard by a depression that left me inactive for most of the time. I was told that was normal and would pass after a few days, but that was a lie. Last week someone flipped a switch and I went full Duracell bunny mode without warning, and I thought I was finally okay again, but on Sunday the switch was flipped again and back to depression it was. Next flip was Tuesday, and since then I'm back in bunny mode without a hint of depression, so maybe it's passed now and will taper down to my normal mode.

I actually wanted to post yesterday, because I figured 1st December and the December program would be a good moment, but I forgot my password and couldn't find it on short notice. But I have it now, so all's well. I completed the first two days of Fit December reasonably okay, although the squats and push-ups today were right exhausting. But I don't care. The plan for now is following the program and taking it slow.

There's actually very good news that came with the accident, too. Maybe some of you remember that I had sometimes remarked my insanely slow speech, a result from having a hard time at focusing on speaking itself. For some reason, that vastly improved and I almost speak as fast as normal slow speakers. The theory is that I was forced to speak fast when I made an emergency call and that somehow got stuck as something life-saving or whatever, but the doctor doesn't really know himself. I'm happy and talking all the time now when in bunny mode, so, yes, I don't care about the reasons. This is new, this is cool, I hope it doesn't go away.
I also have a new dog now. It's the dog of the person I worked with, who can't take care of him any more because he didn't survive the accident, so I got him. It's a bit exhausting, because of my other two dogs, but it kept me from going into total vegetable state when I was non-wrestling with my depression. I don't know yet if it'll work out, we'll have to see.

Long story short, I feel confident returning, and I hope I can make it a regular habit again. As long as the switch won't be flipped any more, I'm probably good to go.

@f1shtacular, @huma, @Lady Celerity, @Calico, @scramJam and @Anek thank you for checking in and caring. It suprised me a bit, but means a lot to me.
@PhoenixRise thank you, too, and I'm glad to see that you're back again.

I'll try to catch up with you all, but it might take a day or two.

Lady Celerity

from The Woods. NorCal
"..one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on.."
Wow you've been through a lot. I'm so glad you are on the mend. Give yourself time and grace. I'm sorry for the loss of your coworker, that's hard and it was thoughtful of you to care for his dog. We've missed you on the Hive!:love:

Gandhalfit

Druid from TLV
Pronouns: You there
"Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being... it is up to all of us to become his moral superior. Vetinari/Pratchett"
I was not expecting something like this. Of course feeling low happens after something like this but are getting better and will continue to do so.
Thank you for taking care of your colleague's dog. What happened is absolutely awful.
Keep doing good things.

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
@HellYeah, @Whirly, @Lady Celerity, @f1shtacular, @NancyTree, @Gandhalfit, @BetaCorvi, @Fremen, @JohnStrong, @Anek, @mavie, @huma and @Nanna Io thank you all for the kind words, the warm welcome back and for being the great people you all are. It makes the Hive a special place to return to.

I just want to say, it's not been that hard a month to worry a lot. As far as I've been told, the depression was mostly a result of the concussion and just something I have to sit out. It's been a bit longer than is usual, but I don't worry too much about it. It's mostly exhausting when it happens, seeing that I don't want to do anything at all. I spent those days watching the turtles swimming around and being forced to play Scrabble a lot, because it's the only board game we have. I built a standing desk for my PC during my first Duracell bunny episode, it's pretty cool, because I hate sitting even more now than before and standing in front of the PC makes it much easier to move while doing work on it. I still have to go through the possessions of my dead colleague, more my boss for two days and former instructor, because he has no close family and a distant cousin doesn't want to deal with all of this. I'm probably the only one sticking around who is at least interested somewhat. He wasn't the most liked person around, although many attended the funeral. People sometimes don't make much sense.

I still try to make the thing with all the dogs work. The dog I got is an Akita, fully trained for the hunt, but complete with all the Akita traits. It would be awesome if I could make it work, but I'm still not sure how it will in the long run. Hime's mostly outside, but very curious and hopefully not jealous, and Fitz mostly sticks to himself but barks a lot. The Akita currently stays in our bedroom with us during the night. Works pretty well. His name is Aki. Not very creative, but that's what you get when you see dogs mostly as work equipment.

I did the floor pass for Fit December today, Jumping Jacks were more up my speed than floor exercises.

I'm still catching up with all of you, but I'll do my best to get more active again. Glad to be back :)

Calico

Witcher from France
Pronouns: It/She
"Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations"
I'm glad you're back. I don't post often in others' threads, but I read a lot of it, and you post in my thread, so of course I wondered where you were and if you were okay :)

Sif_Shepard

"ad astra per aspera"
Oh wow, I'm so glad you're back and doing well! The worrying part of me thought it might be something like that and I'm sad to hear about your accident but I'm so happy you're okay! Hope everything continues to be well with you and you get to keep the speech improvement you talked about.

:hug:

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
@TopNotch that's fine, I'm bad with that stuff, too. I've missed you guys, too, @Calico, @Mianevem and @Sif_Shepard, thank you all for being there :)

Still going strong, Fit December Day 4 was done today, already thinking about picking up the weights again.

Finally felt steady enough with my hands today to hold a sharp blade close to my face, so shaved myself without making a bloody mess. Now with it being December I can't put it on this Movember thingy any more. Feels pretty good.

It's still a bit awkward posting again, but I'll get there, no worries.

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
Day 5 of Fit December, and a bit of stretching done today. Still taking it slowly.

Aside from that, life's been good to me lately. It's been a week without swinging back into the depression side of things, so that's a big plus and hopefully it's over now. Still feeling hyper and energetic, but enjoying it. We went outside today to plant new trees. A day well spent.