Carrying some boxes felt very hard

CursedChico

Fighter from turkey
"Go vegan save lives"
Hello. I have been training at home maybe for almost 3-4 years. Mostly workouts/programs from darbee. Without equipments usually.

Yesterday i carried a box to the garbage. Maybe around 15-20 kg's. I carried almost 1 minute at least. But in the end, my arms were burning. So, that made me think i was fully wron all time

Because i want to be able to do that. Be able to carry such a box for long time or even, run long time with it.
What do you suggest for me? I am really disappointed

Ratio Tile

Jedi from Poland
Work on your endurance. Focus on exercises that make you hold your position for long periods of time, e.g. planks, squat holds (leg endurance is also important), if you have a pull up bar - hang on your arms as long as you can. If you have barbells, hold them as long as you can (e.g. with extended arms). See how long can you manage. Then the next day, hold 5 sec longer. Or 10 sec longer. Teach your muscles to hold the load.

Tldr => planks :LOL:

CursedChico

Fighter from turkey
"Go vegan save lives"
Work on your endurance. Focus on exercises that make you hold your position for long periods of time, e.g. planks, squat holds (leg endurance is also important), if you have a pull up bar - hang on your arms as long as you can. If you have barbells, hold them as long as you can (e.g. with extended arms). See how long can you manage. Then the next day, hold 5 sec longer. Or 10 sec longer. Teach your muscles to hold the load.

Tldr => planks :LOL:
My routine workouts + some endurence challenges, maybe plank challenge? FOr example i do now strength protocfol program and 50 brpess challenge. Yes, this increased my stamina i think. i can do burpees now but i could not hold the box for 1 minute :D

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
"“Keep an eye on the staircases. They like to change.” Percy Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."
Because i want to be able to do that. Be able to carry such a box for long time or even, run long time with it.
What do you suggest for me? I am really disappointed
Grab a kettlebell of the weight you're interested in and do the things you said you'd want to do, maybe start with a lighter weight.
You improve and become good at doing what you repeatedly do, particularly if you train predominantly bodyweight you will struggle to handle weights because you are not used to it.
It's just my point of view :)

Damer

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Warrior Monk from Terra
Pronouns: He/Him
@CursedChico the amount of weight you can carry in a fixed muscle position, overt time is not just a product of strength. It has quite a few other factors affecting it:

• Your own weight.
  • Your height.
  • The position of your arms when carrying the box.
The heavier you are in relation to the weight you are carrying the easier it will be to carry it. A box like that, 15-20kg requires good core strength (to help keep your body upright and your elbows in the right position), a good cardiovascular system (to help overcome the metabolic load of carrying it). Strong joints and tendons (as they take most of the load in this exercise) and, obviously, strong muscles.

Even then, if you want to run with a weight like this or even just walk but for some time, you will need to train specifically for it. That way you get adaptations that are movement-specific (which is why athletes who are good in one sport are not so good in another despite being fast, physically fit and overall strong).

The questions you need to ask yourself here are:

• Did you succeed in getting the box to where you needed to? - If yes, great!
  • Did you feel capable and in control despite the effort? - This is what we train for.
I hope this helps add some perspective.

CursedChico

Fighter from turkey
"Go vegan save lives"
@CursedChico the amount of weight you can carry in a fixed muscle position, overt time is not just a product of strength. It has quite a few other factors affecting it:

• Your own weight.
  • Your height.
  • The position of your arms when carrying the box.
The heavier you are in relation to the weight you are carrying the easier it will be to carry it. A box like that, 15-20kg requires good core strength (to help keep your body upright and your elbows in the right position), a good cardiovascular system (to help overcome the metabolic load of carrying it). Strong joints and tendons (as they take most of the load in this exercise) and, obviously, strong muscles.

Even then, if you want to run with a weight like this or even just walk but for some time, you will need to train specifically for it. That way you get adaptations that are movement-specific (which is why athletes who are good in one sport are not so good in another despite being fast, physically fit and overall strong).

The questions you need to ask yourself here are:

• Did you succeed in getting the box to where you needed to? - If yes, great!
  • Did you feel capable and in control despite the effort? - This is what we train for.
I hope this helps add some perspective.
Yes i was able to deliver box to garbage but my arms were burning. Not other parts or breath. MAybe it is as you said, because of my core and arm strength.

I want to train for especially for that. For example today i went to a football match to play and i ran really much without being tired. It is easy without weight.

But with darebee programs/challenges, i think it is hard to do it, special parts?

Damer

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Warrior Monk from Terra
@thinman while I appreciate you are using your own experience here this is inaccurate information. There are vegan bodybuilders as well as vegan MMA fighters so a vegan diet has nothing to do with lacking in strength and we have scientific data to actually prove that. In addition there are credible, longitudinal studies that show that a vegan diet helps reduce the natural inflammation in the body caused by consuming animal products as well as adverse environmental factors and this aids in both muscle recovery and general tissue recovery after every kind of exertion. There are many factors associated with diet and strength in general. I have not deleted your response because, like I said, it reflects your own experience but I have downgraded it to reflect its inaccurate content.

Damer

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Warrior Monk from Terra
@thinman thank you for responding to this. The problem with using your experience to make a value judgement, which you did in your comment, is that it the chances of it not applying in this case are high. I understand that you personally tried being vegan and it didn't work out for you. Again, there are many factors involved which range from genetic makeup to lifestyle. Just like a vegan diet may not be for everyone a non-vegan diet is also not the immediate solution your comment suggests it is. In The Hive we all have a responsibility to carefully weigh what we say because people come to us seeking advice. In that respect we use the knowledge base we have access to, here, the highly scientific Darebee articles that are in our database and, when needed, a member of the Darebee team who has access to in-house expertise and further scientific research to provide the best answer we possibly can.

If we use our own experience as the sole guide we then become just another judgemental, bro-culture driven forum full of absolute, polarising opinions and the toxicity implied in that approach. The Hive is most definitely not like that. In your response to me, just now, you show that you are aware of the complexities involved in providing dietary advice and I know, from past exchanges, that you have had a rich, varied personal journey in fitness. Yet, your comment reflects none of that. Again, I understand you wanted to share how it was for you and it is a sort of throwaway remark you put out there, but because comments here have such importance for new people coming to The Hive and because we have succeeded in attaining a standard of conduct that is rare if not unique on the internet, in this case it fell short.

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
"Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today"
I might have a very weird thought but... if you want to train for carrying heavy boxes and carrying them for extended periods of time...
Why not exactly do that? Carrying boxes? Every day? For as long as you can? Rest and repeat? Kind of like when you want to get better at pull-ups, you do pull-ups. When you want to get better at push-ups, do push-ups. So, when you want to get better at carrying boxes, carry boxes. :gotq:
Taking into account that you also train your core and how to carry the right way, of course.

CursedChico

Fighter from turkey
"Go vegan save lives"
I might have a very weird thought but... if you want to train for carrying heavy boxes and carrying them for extended periods of time...
Why not exactly do that? Carrying boxes? Every day? For as long as you can? Rest and repeat? Kind of like when you want to get better at pull-ups, you do pull-ups. When you want to get better at push-ups, do push-ups. So, when you want to get better at carrying boxes, carry boxes. :gotq:
Taking into account that you also train your core and how to carry the right way, of course.
but i dont want to also be someone who can be able to carry boxes :) want to be able to run, jump , etc for a long time

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
Pronouns: She/her
Thus.
Taking into account that you also train your core and how to carry the right way, of course
This.

And it's the reason why I nag my husband to let me carry the groceries. Because I need to be able to carry all seven or something bags to the house in one go. 🤣