Risk of overtraining?

Sleepyy

I'm new to Darebee and I was wondering if I should keep doing my bodyweight routine (composed by foundational strength such push ups, dips, rows, pull ups, squats, lunges) while I'm doing the Hero's Journey program, so I want to know if I should do both of them or just finish my current one and then pick up this program, since I'm not very pro efficient in push ups and lunges and I don't want to end up overtraining.
And I also thought about using the program as a endurance training right after the strength one, just doing easier variations of each exercise, but I want to know what are your thoughts guys.

Thanks for your answers!

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
"Motivation is temporary. Discipline is forever."
You won't overtrain. Don't worry about that.You'd have to be an elite athlete doing way more than you are right now for that to happen.
Hero's Journey is a great programme. You don't need to do anything more but there is nothing against doing more if you want. If you're not good at push-ups, for example, you might want to do some additional push-ups, just to improve. You might also like to consider doing one of the push-up challenges.
I'm not sure what you mean by using the programme as endurance training after strength training. If you want to do easier variations, I suggest you do a level 2 programme, perhaps Zero Hero.

Damer

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Warrior Monk from Terra
Pronouns: He/Him
@Sleepyy each program we design, test and release takes into account a variety of factors including ability, intensity and the need for recovery time. Doing two at the same time (or doing one but adding extra workouts) is certainly possible but for most programs, mostly inadvisable. They each have their own rhythm and unless it is specifically stated that you can use them in addition to another program you are running the risk of subverting the built-in recovery time you have, getting more fatigued than you should and also see diminishing returns as your body won't get sufficient time to adjust.

Strength and endurance are two different aims. The latest research we have from neurophysiology shows that if you're training for two goals like this, back-to-back you are likely to achieve none. The way the body allocates resources depends on the signals it receives that trigger its adaptation response. The adaptation response is what activates the neurophysiological changes which, at a cellular level, lead to outcomes such as increased strength or increased endurance.

So, I would say focus on a specific goal, first. See which workout(s) and which program can best help you achieve it and focus on that primarily until you begin to see the improvement you expect. Then you can broaden your scope a little.

I hope this helps.

Sleepyy

@Sleepyy each program we design, test and release takes into account a variety of factors including ability, intensity and the need for recovery time. Doing two at the same time (or doing one but adding extra workouts) is certainly possible but for most programs, mostly inadvisable. They each have their own rhythm and unless it is specifically stated that you can use them in addition to another program you are running the risk of subverting the built-in recovery time you have, getting more fatigued than you should and also see diminishing returns as your body won't get sufficient time to adjust.

Strength and endurance are two different aims. The latest research we have from neurophysiology shows that if you're training for two goals like this, back-to-back you are likely to achieve none. The way the body allocates resources depends on the signals it receives that trigger its adaptation response. The adaptation response is what activates the neurophysiological changes which, at a cellular level, lead to outcomes such as increased strength or increased endurance.

So, I would say focus on a specific goal, first. See which workout(s) and which program can best help you achieve it and focus on that primarily until you begin to see the improvement you expect. Then you can broaden your scope a little.

I hope this helps.
That makes sense, thanks for your advise.
I'll primary focus my training in just one goal at the time :D

Sleepyy

You won't overtrain. Don't worry about that.You'd have to be an elite athlete doing way more than you are right now for that to happen.
Hero's Journey is a great programme. You don't need to do anything more but there is nothing against doing more if you want. If you're not good at push-ups, for example, you might want to do some additional push-ups, just to improve. You might also like to consider doing one of the push-up challenges.
I'm not sure what you mean by using the programme as endurance training after strength training. If you want to do easier variations, I suggest you do a level 2 programme, perhaps Zero Hero.
I give it a check and yes seems pretty difficult to end up overtraining but I'll focus my training just in one goal for now thanks for the advice anyways

Last edited: