Lat raises alternatives help

Silverrey

Paladin from Kansas City, KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His
"Knocking the rust off."
Wondering if anyone knows some exercises that work the same or similar muscles as lateral raises?

For some reason I have a major drop in strength with them to the point that even 3lb weights are almost to heavy for me to do more than a set or two with.

I haven't noticed this issue with any other shoulder exercises so I am hoping that working on the muscles from a different direction will help get them into the same range of the surrounding muscles. Any help is appreciated. Thank you all.

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
"Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today"
Not being able to use the same weights for lateral raises you use for other exercises, even shoulder or biceps exercises, is completely normal. If there's one lift you'll probably need to go down much, much lower it's lateral raises, to the point where it's entirely possible for someone who usually curls, say, 10 kg per arm is only able to use 2 kg per side for lateral raises. I'd even go so far to say that you should start with the lowest weight you have for that exercise and slowly work your way upwards. Take care that you'll use good form, never bringing up your arms higher than parallel to the floor, keeping in mind not to lift your hands higher than your elbows.

tl,dr: Your experienced major drop is completely normal and it will take time to close the gap to the weights you use for the surrounding muscles, if you'd ever get to the same range.

Shikari

Mystic from R'lyeh
"The wind breathes where it wills and you hear its sound, but you don’t know where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit"
Another thing that helps is to breathe in on the "upstroke". That helps physically, no matter what weight you lift, and psychologically because you can envision the weights rising as your lungs fill. You may find yourself being able to lift more this way -- but ALWAYS with good form!

Silverrey

"Knocking the rust off."
Thank you. I will admit some of it is just how weird it feels to be doing a workout like PPL with 10-15lb weights and going good then hit the lateral raises and struggle with 3lbs. I will keep at it and just plan on keeping two sets nearby by. :ss:

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Can you use more weight when you do raises with your arms in front of your body? If so, then there's the possibility that you're simply not as strong with lifting your arms to the side. If so, then as another poster said, patiently work your way up to 4 lbs., 5 lbs., etc... using progressive overload.

Do you feel any specific pain or soreness when you do lateral raises, or have you lifted more in the past, but then suffered a drop in strength? Then this is the domain of a physician/physiotherapist. It's beyond my pay grade to comment on injuries and how they affect your strength.

At the end of the day, I've always found the overhead shoulder press to be most efficient for shoulder size and strength, so if you can safely do that, incorporate it into your routine.

Hope this helps!

Silverrey

"Knocking the rust off."
Can you use more weight when you do raises with your arms in front of your body? If so, then there's the possibility that you're simply not as strong with lifting your arms to the side. If so, then as another poster said, patiently work your way up to 4 lbs., 5 lbs., etc... using progressive overload.

Do you feel any specific pain or soreness when you do lateral raises, or have you lifted more in the past, but then suffered a drop in strength? Then this is the domain of a physician/physiotherapist. It's beyond my pay grade to comment on injuries and how they affect your strength.

At the end of the day, I've always found the overhead shoulder press to be most efficient for shoulder size and strength, so if you can safely do that, incorporate it into your routine.

Hope this helps!
It's kind of like pushing against a wall. There's no pain to speak of, I just can't lift anything over about 5lbs to my side. I can do 3lbs but it takes effort.

Lifting in front of me or overhead is no issue. I can do both with normal weights and just have regular levels of strain.

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
"Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today"
It's kind of like pushing against a wall. There's no pain to speak of, I just can't lift anything over about 5lbs to my side. I can do 3lbs but it takes effort.

Lifting in front of me or overhead is no issue. I can do both with normal weights and just have regular levels of strain.
From own experience, that of many other lifters, and my partner who worked as a personal trainer for years, I still think it's perfectly normal. It's the kind of motion you very, very rarely do in your daily life, so it stands to reason that the strength for that isn't as developed as for lifting things in front of you, or over your head. I'd be patient, start with low weights, and steadily work your way up.