Something new. Zen Fighter's path.

ZenFighter

Mage from Poland
Hi!
I'm Ania and it is nice to meet you all!

My story: For many years I used to struggle with depression episodes and eating disorders, however I used to manage quite well. I was never training a lot, but I used to be moderately active (occasional running, biking, climbing, horse riding, hiking and trekking, hula-hooping, sometimes dancing or aerial hoop). 2 years ago I had a big crisis due to some event in in my life, which made my depression and eating disorders symptoms escalate out of control. I was working from home, eating mostly ordered food and not moving at all (there were long days when I didn't even put a step out of my home). You can imagine how bad it was for my body. I get psychiatric/psychological help and now I'm finally mentally better and happier, however.... I've ended up with extra 30 kg to carry, pains in my back, knees and feet, body stiffness (my mobility was never great but know I cant event straight my arms behind my back) and general poor health. When lately I was trying to get back in shape (stuff that I thought would be easy even in my poor condition) I've faced so much resistance and discomfort in my body that I've never experienced before. I felt so discouraged and sad and struggling so much, that I didn't stick to activity. It was easier to let it go than to face the reality. And I felt ashamed of myself. I think I was to ambitious as I was not actually emotionally ready realize how much my body changed and I was excepting to much from myself at this point. But I don't want to do this anymore.

Something new: Now I want to try again and take it really, really slowly. I don't want to be fixed on high expectations of my body's performance, but just give it a lot of love, care. and respect to its current limitations. Even if I'm mentally better now, for a long time I used to be in a very dark place and I just feel like I'm learning from the start how to keep and follow even the simplest daily routines (eating regularly or washing the dishes). I want to be patient with myself and forgiving for my failures. Putting pressure on myself never got me really far. I am ready to share not only my fitness progress, but all my struggles, even with the simplest programs. I used to be ashamed of struggling with "easy" stuff. Not anymore. I don't want to try to prove to myself anything, as I used to. I am ready to accept myself as I am and heal. And that is something new.

It wasn't easy to share and be so honest, but it's a big step for me. I looked through some of your stories and it is very inspiring and touching to see how much support there is in this community.

I don't really now where to really start yet, I'm still doing my research on this page and I wan't to do something very, very simple, just to learn to follow any routine and be able to do it even when I feel very low. I was thinking of Vitality program. The simplest one, recovery one... and I'm still afraid of failure (old habits).. But it's okay. Let it be.

Struggling with your mental health is not indicative weakness. Some of the strongest people are the ones silently winning battles each and every day.

Last edited:

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Hello! Welcome to the Hive.

Going to the gym, and exercising in general have been crucial for me. I can safely say that working out has been one of the best ways for me to cope with my depression and addiction problems.

I hope that your starting your fitness journey does the same for you. Good luck :ragdoll:

Sage

Pronouns: They/She
Welcome.

I've had similar experiences as you, I've struggled with my mental health for years and gained a lot of weight due to being stationary at home relying on takeaways. I only started using Darebee 6 days ago :welcome:.

I am also starting easy, using Foundation Light program. There were so many programs so when I found one that seemed suitable I didn't search anymore. Vitality certainly seem to be an excellent choice so may add that to my workout routine!

Good luck and you can do it! :vibes:

Last edited:

ZenFighter

Mage from Poland
Thank you for all the welcoming words from you! :)

I did my first 3 days of Vitality and Foundation Light, and also went swimming yesterday. I did one one program in the morning and another later in the day. It's light enough to not feel discouraged and to keep going!

29/04 Saturday
:v:
Vitality 1
:v:  Foundation Light 1
30/04 Sunday
:v:
Vitality 2
:v:Foundation Light 2
:v:Swimming

ZenFighter

Mage from Poland
Hello! Welcome to the Hive.

Going to the gym, and exercising in general have been crucial for me. I can safely say that working out has been one of the best ways for me to cope with my depression and addiction problems.

I hope that your starting your fitness journey does the same for you. Good luck :ragdoll:
Thank you for saying that and sharing. I hope it will work the same way for me too :)

ZenFighter

Mage from Poland
Welcome.

I've had similar experiences as you, I've struggled with my mental health for years and gained a lot of weight due to being stationary at home relying on takeaways. I only started using Darebee 6 days ago :welcome:.

I am also starting easy, using Foundation Light program. There were so many programs so when I found one that seemed suitable I didn't search anymore. Vitality certainly seem to be an excellent choice so may add that to my workout routine!

Good luck and you can do it! :vibes:
Hii!
Congrats on starting ! I wish you all the best on your journey. It's really comforting knowing somebody on the similar path and place in their life. I hope I can support you while you progress!

Last edited:

Sage

Pronouns: They/She
Wow! What an awesome start!

I have been waking up not wanting to bother but made myself do it as I know it is simple enough and won't take me long. I am always happy when I did it.

I am even enjoying the swimming after years of not bothering. I hadn't realised how much I missed it.

Keep it up! :pose:

ZenFighter

Mage from Poland
Wow! What an awesome start!

I have been waking up not wanting to bother but made myself do it as I know it is simple enough and won't take me long. I am always happy when I did it.

I am even enjoying the swimming after years of not bothering. I hadn't realised how much I missed it.

Keep it up! :pose:
I'm happy for you and proud :) It's great that you rediscovered swimming again :) I've also started swimming again and I love the feeling :)

ZenFighter

Mage from Poland
Starting my day with
:v: Vitality 4

I'm trying to pay more attention to how I feel. When I woke up I couldn't focus on anything, I felt tired and a little bit anxious. I just couldn't get my willpower to start anything: getting ready for work, taking a morning shower, preparing breakfast. In days like this it usually takes me sooo much time to do all this simple morning steps. But, surprisingly, I found out that starting the workout was the only thing that wasn't intimidating. My theory is that the workout doesn't require me to make any decisions, I didn't actually need to think about what I need to do next. Only following the instructions and setting timer for the rest time... simple enough. Thanks to it I actually saved some time in the morning today, because when I've finished my workout I felt energized,and ready to face the day right away, focused and without this fog in my brain. If I didn't dedicate those 20 minutes for morning activity i would probably just waste it due to low energy level.
This is a great discovery for me. I feel good.

Foundation d4 still awaits me later today and I... kind of... can't wait for it? Never happened before! :D

Update:
I did it :) :v: Foundation Light 4

Last edited:

ZenFighter

Mage from Poland
I didn't post, but Thursday and Friday I had a little busy days, but I managed to do:
Thursday: :v:Vitality day 6
Friday: :v: Vitality day 7
Weekend and Monday I was travelling and couldn't get my head around the exercises but now I'm back home and I'm planning on continuing my journey :)

ZenFighter

Mage from Poland
Today I came home very late and was doing my workout being quite sleepy. To save time I've decided to do both workouts simultaneously. Instead of taking 2min breaks between the sets I was doing sets from other program. It wasn't really difficult but at least I got a little bit of sweat and feel okay.
:v:Vitality day 10
:v: Foundation Light day 7

ZenFighter

Mage from Poland
:v:Vitality day 11
:v:Foundation Light day 8

I found these leg raises quite challenging, I guess I've used muscles I don't use much every day.
What is more, I've felt how stiff my back is. I miss the times when I had more flexibility in my back. But I believe I'm gonna get there again one day.
1683880573211.png