Shaking off the Dust

Sir Cheese

Knight from Netherlands
Hey hello,
I am quite new to Darebee and decided I'll try and join in on the accountabillity logs and start a journey of my own :), mostly to hold myself accountable but also to have a place to track progress and join in on challenges and the like.

For those wondering 'who is this mustasched piece of cheese and why is he posting here?' well let me clarify;

I am in my twenties and have had a severe addiction to alcohol that I've finally seemed to beat (11 months and counting). Since then I've been trying to tackle parts of my life that caused me to drink in order to keep myself from falling off the wagon. These parts include things such as healthier eating, avoiding big stress factors and generally trying to not feel bad about myself. Regular exersize is the next part I wish to shape up as I live quite a sedentary life and just sitting for a day without moving much makes me feel like shit.
Enough about the negative parts though, I am also doing this because I enjoy swordfighting and wish to get myself in shape to participate in a group, and I simply just wanna shake off the dust after a day of reading through dusty old tomes. :)

My goal for now is simple, I am currently doing the IRONBORN program and the month of may lower abs challenge and wish to see them both through to the end and hopefully create the start of a habit.

Today I've finished:
Day 16 of IRONBORN :v:
Day 3 of Lower Abs May :v:

I'll be Accentuating my log with history facts,
#1 The church has taken insects to court, for example when locusts were causing a plague, and excommunicated them or sentenced them to death.

Sir Cheese

Knight from Netherlands
Let's go new day, :dance:

Today I've finished;
Day 17 of IRONBORN :v:
Day 4 of Lower Abs May :v:

I am planning to take a 2 hour hike in the evening after I am done with the day because a lot of sitting ahead.

History Fact #2, Did you know that the aristocratic Athenians slathered themselves in olive oil when they went to exercise at the Gymnasium?

Sir Cheese

Knight from Netherlands
Oil and sand if I remember correctly, no ?
I wouldn't know for sure, might depend on century and source. In Aeschines I (4th century B.C.E.), there is only the mention of olive oil and not sand in relation to the gymnasium.

Edit; Apparently according to Pausanias it was olive oil or sand in the 8th century B.C.E., I gotta look up his work if I wanna be certain though, thanks :)

Sir Cheese

Knight from Netherlands
May 7th,
Incredibly busy day visiting family, against all natural instincts I set my alarmclock half an hour earlier so that I could still have half an hour of exercise before I had to leave. Planning to walk for a bit before going to bed.

Today I've Finished
Day 18 of IRONBORN :v:
Day 5 of Lower Abs May :v:

I've decided to stay within the ancient Greece theme for the remainder of the IRONBORN challenge as assigning era's to the exercise seems to trigger the happy neurons, so here we go

History Fact #3, Did you know that in fourth century B.C.E. Athens, you could apply for money to go to the theaters and festivals. There was an institution called the Theoriká and it payed out small sums of about 2 or 3 Obols, mostly to the poorer citizens although everyone could apply, so that they could attend the theater and enjoy the activities of the many festivals Athens hosted every year.

I wish current goverments would pay me to sit in theaters :/

Zenchan

Warrior Monk Posts: 64
"...probably in a forest..."
Welcome! I am very happy to see you here, getting sober is extremely difficult, you have my greatest respect! :hi:

I would advise against doing the history facts. If you run out of them, you might feel like not posting, but of course it is up to you.

#3 I have been told that libraries were for free in ancient Athens. Awesome people.

Sir Cheese

Knight from Netherlands
Welcome! I am very happy to see you here, getting sober is extremely difficult, you have my greatest respect! :hi:

I would advise against doing the history facts. If you run out of them, you might feel like not posting, but of course it is up to you.

#3 I have been told that libraries were for free in ancient Athens. Awesome people.
Thanks :), really glad I found this site/community, the facts currently help my motivation to post but I'll keep your advice in mind thanks!
Awesome people indeed!

Sir Cheese

Knight from Netherlands
May 8th,
Another day I guess.
Deadlines suck and I've been busy and tired which makes it difficult to start my day. It took me an hour to get out of bed and finally start my day with the regular exercises :/, did finish them though which is something. Planning to walk an hour or so during my break.

Today I've Finished;
Day 18 of IRONBORN :v:
Day 6 of Lower Abs May :v:

Deadlines suck but luckily the distant past doesn't :ragdoll:
History Fact #4, The Sacred Band of Thebes was a group of 300 elite figthers exisiting out of 150 couples of male lovers. The Sacred Band of Thebes was vital in defeating Sparta at the battle of leuctra which led to the humiliation and destruction of Sparta's might by Thebe.

Sir Cheese

Knight from Netherlands
Hmh yeah, I let it all slip under stress with deadlines a week or two ago but hey, c'est la vie. It often takes a few attempts before something sticks so I've started attempting it again. I am looking at maybe trying the Olympian although I think 30 days might be to long of a commitment to start with immediately. I atleast decided that walking for an hour or two will also count towards my goal to have some form of exersice every day.

Today I've finished;
Overpowered Workout with 6kg Dumbells :v:

History Fact #5, I realised that most history facts are in fact quite boring so I'll forgo posting them for now :)

Sir Cheese

Knight from Netherlands
Day 2 already,
Yesterday evening I had decided to go swim laps in the local pool for an hour and a half, it was fun exersice!
Today I've continued with the Olympain exersice program and I am going to walk for an hour when I take my break later this afternoon!

Today I've Finished:
The Olympain, Day 3 :v:

Today I will finish:
1-hour walk
An Abs related exersice, tbd

At the moment I feel motivated as I just restarted my attempt at creating this habit but we'll see how I fare as time goes on :)