The Shining Kingdom

Wiaaam

Barbarian from The Netherlands
Hi everyone!

I had an account on the old Hive website (but I was inactive for a long time to be honest...) and I am starting again a thread here :)
I didn't know how to name the thread, so I decided to name it with the title of my favourite song from the band Samael :)

Since I posted for the last time, a lot of things happened: I moved country, got a new job... all of this is still quite new, and it's a lot of happiness which comes with a ton of problems and a lot of stress.

A big change is that I have to commute a lot for my new work (3 hours per day), so making time for myself has been a real challenge. I really like my job but after two weeks, I almost quit: I was too tired... :giveup: Since a bit more than a week now, I can work during my commute and it helps so much to make time for myself again :ss: It still not the best, but it's an improvement!

Since I am not a zombie anymore, I have started the Iron Born program: today will be day 3 :) My goal is to finish the program and this way go back to a fitness routine. I have already done this program once and I loved it! :ss:

(edit on 09/06 to add the link to the song :happy: )

Last edited:

Wiaaam

@Anek :hellothere:

Iron Born: day 5 - Today's exercises were much easier than yesterday ^^
Touch your toes challenge: day 1

I originally planned to work out in the evening, after work, but tomorrow it's the weekend and I am afraid I won't do it... I think it would be best to adapt and work out when I wake up instead. Let's see how it goes! :ss:

Wiaaam

@Nihopaloa Thanks ^^ Against all odds, this avatar is actually a good representation of me: today when I discovered that it was leg day, I made the exact same face as this cat :LOL:

Iron Born: day 7 - Yesterday we took some friends on a big tour of the town and ended up walking all day. My legs are still sore from all the walking, so the workout was no the best :/
And I did workout yesterday morning :bigyes: Today I worked out later in the afternoon and my motivation was about to leave me, so I think that I will stick with working out in the evening on work days, and working out in the morning on the weekends.
Touch your toes challenge: day 3 (already reaching a bit lower than my knee!)

Wiaaam

Iron Born: day 10

Touch you toes challenge: day 6

From June onward I will be allowed to do some home office :celebrate: It is a lot of time gained that I was losing in the commute, I am so happy :ss:

Today I took some time to ask myself what will be my focus in June.
Following the Healthy Eating Tips page, I will start to drink my tea without honey :cry:. I stopped drinking coffee two months ago :sadness: because my body was really not reacting well to it, but I replaced it with tea + honey. In every cup! And I drink a lot of tea!!!

These past days weeks months, I was also really bad at meal prepping and eating healthy, especially in the morning (buying food on the go, not caring a lot about what I was eating as long as it was convenient) and in the evening (a lot of fried food and alcohol). Noon was okay if I lie to myself: I mostly prepared my meals and when I forgot, there was always the salad bar but I am not sure that the amount of pasta and cheese that I put in my salads make them still qualify as "salads".
I know that I have put on weight (I don't weight myself but I can feel it in my clothes), so I think it will be good to do something about it. Maybe I should weight myself, I don't know.

So in June my focus will be on:
  • eating breakfast at home (oatmeal + milk substitute + honey + peanut butter)
  • packing some nuts to eat on the go
  • not have cheese/pasta as my main meal at noon
  • not eat anything fried in the evening and not drink alcohol
  • drink my tea without honey
Maybe it is too much at once, I don't know, I will see :)

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
"Motivation is temporary. Discipline is forever."
I drink a lot of tea. If you don't like tea without a touch of sweetener, don't change that. Life is to be enjoyed. Change other things that you don't need, but keep those that bring real pleasure. I dropped sugar and started using stevia instead, but at the moment I'm visiting my mum and she sometimes forgets to put in the stevia. :p Nope, I definitely want my touch of sweet!
And I think you're right - that may be too much. In my experience, it's been better to focus at one change at a time, or else I'll forget some of them and then get cross with myself.

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
"“Keep an eye on the staircases. They like to change.” Percy Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."
I drank tea with sugar and lemon, then slowly I decreased the amount of sugar and eliminated the lemon. Now I drink unsweetened tea, except iced tea which I like a little sweeter :)
As @TopNotch said, if you like some honey put it in, maybe a little less ;)

Anek

Sorceress from Bavaria, Germany
Pronouns: She/her
"If the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember Cedric Diggory."
I slowly removed the honey from my tea, but the lemon will stay forever... Take it slow, a little bit less at the time and you'll be fine. And a bit of sweetness is good for us too :happy:

Wiaaam

Iron Born: day 12
Touch you toes challenge: day 8
Not buying snack on the go: :v:

@TopNotch @Fremen & @Anek Thank you so much for your feedbacks :) I think that you are right. Life is meant to be enjoyable, and if I try to do too much at once, I am more likely to fail in what I want to achieve. So I keep the honey in my tea :D

I will then mostly focus on not buying snacks on the go: that means preparing my breakfast and also packing a portion of nuts as a snack for the afternoon. I think that this change will already be a great improvement in terms of sugar consumption and food quality :)

Wiaaam

Iron Born: day 17
Touch your toes challenge: day 13 (I can now reach almost the middle of my leg ^^)

@Tileenah yes, I am so happy! :welcome:

It's not all consecutive days of exercising, because there were two days where I couldn't work out, but since I had time the next days, I managed to do two days at once :ss:

Wiaaam

Iron Born: day 21
Touch your toes challenge: day 17

:toohot: it was so hot in my apartment today! I did my workout slowly and I stayed hydrated. I am a migraine sufferer and I used to not workout at all when it was too hot because it would give me migraine, but I am starting to get used to it.

Wiaaam

Iron Born: day 23
Touch your toes challenge: day 19
Not buying snack on the go: failed:chocolate:

I just managed to do a week without buying snacks :mad: I am a bit angry at myself, but that's okay, I will continue and do better ^^
This morning I just couldn't eat because of the heat (I felt a bit sick) and then when I arrived at the train station, I must have felt better because I bought a chocolate bar + an orange juice "for later" (it was more for "right now" :sus:).

I think that tomorrow I will start to prepare myself a savoury breakfast for a change, it should help to be less hungry :)

Wiaaam

Iron Born: day 26
Touch your toes challenge: day 22
Not buying snack on the go: failed :chocolate:

I decided to start measuring my progress by using a scale (I would have preferred to take a picture, but I don't have a full-length mirror). From the information which were already set up in the scale, I have not used it for 6 years. It explains a lot :LOL:
After some updates, here are my stats: Weight: 63.9kg | F 30.3 | H 51.7 | M 34.9
I don't know what would be an attainable goal. I used to weight 57kg, that could be a goal to reach and I guess it would be nice to see the fat go down because I read the healthy limit is 31 :oops:
I hope that it will motivate me to keep at it with my choices and make me accountable :D

Wiaaam

Thank you @Mamatigerj :thanks:

Iron Heart : Day 3
Touch your toes challenge : Day 28
Posture Challenge : Day 3
Here are my stats today: Weight: 62.7kg | F 31.4 | H 50.9 | M 31.5

Day 3 of Iron Heart "Tendon Stretch" was no joke, I would not have thought Ôo I guess it is a good thing that I do it then ^^'''

Regarding the posture challenge, I would have a question: am I understanding correctly that that I need to do (for instance on day one) 2 x 10 side bends in the morning and 2 x 10 side bends in the evening? (so 40 side bends total). And not just 10 in the morning and 10 in the evening. (I guess there is nothing wrong in doing more anyway :D)

Wiaaam

@TopNotch Thank you very much for the explanation, I was a bit confused but it makes sense :)

I have not worked out since Friday because of the high temperatures in my apartment :( I was sick and dizzy the whole weekend. Yesterday I felt better with the temperature starting to be lower, so I rested. Today I thought I would feel better, but I am traveling abroad and I am very tired because I slept less than 4 hours:crawl:
I think that I will take tomorrow as a rest day (unless I feel super motivated and energized), and I will resume working out on Thursday, re-starting Iron Heart and the Posture Challenge from zero (I completely forgot about this new challenge!), and continuing with the Touch your toes challenge.

Wiaaam

Iron Heart : Day 1
+ Exercise of the day (30 Seconds Calf Raises)

I took a longer break than expected, it was much needed! :D I thought that I would start to work out again end of last week, but I got a migraine, and then some friends came over during the weekend to visit and we played Arkham Horror until late in the night...and then I played again yesterday :ss:. This game takes so long that we don't play it very often, but it's really my favorite board game so I really enjoyed my time!

I feel that I have more energy than last week, it feels really good :move:

... and I just realised that I forgot to do the Posture challenge this morning:facepalm: I will print it and place it in my bathroom so that I see it when I wake up.