Practicing my Deep Squat

mossy

I'm new to the hive so hello everyone. I saw a video by a YouTube channel called Movement by David where he was talking about ways to stretch and one was doing a squat where your feet are flat on the ground. I usually squat with my heels upward. A couple days ago I practiced a deep squat by having my back against the wall for stability, and it felt rather comfortable to have flat feet during a squat! But man the day after doing that my shins hurt quite a bit, and today they're aching like crazy (but its nothing different than when I work out a muscle I haven't in a while, it's not an alarming pain). What muscle did I work out by doing this? What are the benefits of a deep squat?

Solution
@mossy a flat-footed squat, i.e. with your feet touching down on their entirety changes the range of motion of the knees, hips and pelvic area. This, in turn, changes the tension applied to muscles and tendons throughout these joints and regions and helps in flexibility and power. As you noticed afterwards there is pain and stiffness because stretching applies tension to the muscles much like weight training does. As we discussed in detail at our very recent AMA it de-strengthens them, triggers the adaptation response necessary for hypertrophy and stronger muscles and results, after recovery, in increased power and improved range of motion.

You may want to try our Top to Bottom stretching workout and our general...

guibo94

Gladiator from New Asgard
"Silent but deadly."
I'm new to the hive so hello everyone. I saw a video by a YouTube channel called Movement by David where he was talking about ways to stretch and one was doing a squat where your feet are flat on the ground. I usually squat with my heels upward. A couple days ago I practiced a deep squat by having my back against the wall for stability, and it felt rather comfortable to have flat feet during a squat! But man the day after doing that my shins hurt quite a bit, and today they're aching like crazy (but its nothing different than when I work out a muscle I haven't in a while, it's not an alarming pain). What muscle did I work out by doing this? What are the benefits of a deep squat?
I like deep squats too. My shins, calves and ankles are tight so I put a book or a thin board or a towel/blanket under my heels and that helps too. You can also point your toes out and widen your feet to help take some stress off your ankles and shins. I would recommend that try to keep you back as straight as possible so you don't add lower back pain to that list too.

Damer

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Warrior Monk from Terra
Pronouns: He/Him
@mossy a flat-footed squat, i.e. with your feet touching down on their entirety changes the range of motion of the knees, hips and pelvic area. This, in turn, changes the tension applied to muscles and tendons throughout these joints and regions and helps in flexibility and power. As you noticed afterwards there is pain and stiffness because stretching applies tension to the muscles much like weight training does. As we discussed in detail at our very recent AMA it de-strengthens them, triggers the adaptation response necessary for hypertrophy and stronger muscles and results, after recovery, in increased power and improved range of motion.

You may want to try our Top to Bottom stretching workout and our general stretching one they will help you improve significantly.

Solution

Damer

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Warrior Monk from Terra
Pronouns: He/Him
@H4WKWIND these deep squats you mention are bad for the knees and give no discernible fitness benefit. They unnaturally compress the cartilage, make it difficult for it to revert back to its original shape fast enough and can cause fluid to build up in the knee which increases swelling and decreases mobility. When we share advice here it is good to do so knowing the caveats so we do not propagate practices that do more harm than good. This is one of them.

mossy

You may want to try our Top to Bottom stretching workout and our general stretching one they will help you improve significantly.
This is really helpful! Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this! Have a good day, Damer!