Supplements?

Runamok

Amazon from Miami, FL
Pronouns: She, her
"Mantra: I am ready to make my dreams come true and create my happy place."
How do you feel about supplements or what works for you?

I know I feel more run down whenever I don’t take my multivitamins, and B vitamins consistently but I’m wondering if there’s something better. Do protein shakes make you feel more energetic? I tried Sea Moss capsules and they made me nauseous.

Anything with caffeine makes me shaky, I can have a 5-Hour Energy every once in a while and it works pretty well but it's not a good idea for every day. I also tried CBD gummies they were a dream come true for about a week then nothing, that was weird, I even tried again months later but never got the same results again.

Solution
There is an article from a blogger about supplements, here translated to English from google translate

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
"“Keep an eye on the staircases. They like to change.” Percy Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."
The problem with supplements is that you feel the real effect after months, so I generally don't go beyond a generic multivitamin when I feel the need, I find it a good compromise without having blood tests to tell you where you are really deficient.
Protein powder (whey) is useful in workouts, when the intensity rises they make the difference especially in recovery.
In my opinion, as in all things, you need to do some tests to see what really works and what doesn't and maybe even change it from time to time, otherwise the body gets used to it :)

Nihopaloa

Duelist from Germany
"Eyyyy"
I've been taking a multivitamin every day since I did a cut in 2020 and I always imagined it did me good. Stopped taking it a week ago because prices rose by 30 cent (I'm not stingy, just.... stubborn...) and now I feel off the whole time. Probably my imagination.
I sometimes supplement with magnesium when I notice that I have regular cramps in my legs or whatever. I stop taking them when the problems go away.
Depending on your diet and general constitution, as well as some other things, you could supplement with iron, because women often have a lack because of menstruating. Iron deficit can also cause low energy. Or you could eat liver regularly. Liver's the bomb when it comes to iron.
I took iodine for a long time with good results, but that's something you should research a bit before you decide on trying it out or not.
In general it depends on your own stance on how much you want to experiment with your body. I have no qualms doing that and sometimes ignore medical research in favour of... uh... curiosity, but that's not for every one. It can also be a bit risky. Never had any problems, but that's just me.

There is an article from a blogger about supplements, here translated to English from google translate

Solution

Rocinante

Scout from NJ USA
This is just my opinion so it's worth about as much as any other from a random person on the interwebs...

Anyway I personally don't think much of supplements beyond a general multi-vitamin. If you're lucky enough to be able to afford to eat well, then you should be able to address your body's needs with diet. It may take some trial and error, but I think trying different foods or eating habits is less risky than trying random supplements. Speaking from experience, that and exercise really can make a huge difference. Just general lifestyle changes for me were more effective and actually easier to maintain long-term. Plus you might find some healthy food that you love.

Obviously if you have a specific condition then supplements can help, but that should probably be done with the help of trained professionals. Your doctor and someone like a nutritionist are better able to help you identify what your body may be lacking, or if you have any medical issues requiring something more.

BTW I can't vouch for the source but the article linked to above by @avatar to me looks quite reasonable. I specifically like that they mention how things come and go which I think is very much worth considering when looking at supplements. How many people that you know or online "experts" whose blog you've read are still taking or promoting the same supplement(s) or superfoods that they were last year, or the year before ? Other than the general multi-vitamin and maybe some protein, nobody I know has stuck with anything longer than a few months. They just moved on to the next big thing because the previous one didn't really do anything for them.

Again just my personal opinion.

PetiteSheWolf

Alchemist from France
As a pharmacist, be careful with iode supplements family. They are either unabsorbed (means you excrete your money right out, to use a polite term), or may interfere with thyroid medications / thyroid activity measures and such. I really would not favor those.

Another note specifically for hypericum perforatum (millepertuis / St John's wort) : it is effective, definitly. BUT it also has a ginormous number of interctions with other drugs, including contraception (makes the pill less effective), so by pity, if you take it, mention it to your doctors and pharmacist

For the rest, your friendly neighborhood pharmacist of the lupine variety will remind you to mention them to your doctor and pharmacist, to double check for interactions, or because it anyhow gives them more information on your health. Don't worry, we won't judge, we just wanna work fully with you.

I personally take evening primrose (mixed with borage sometimes) to avoid hormonal mood swings (every other day), L-glutamines and probiotics for my IBS (still checking what rythm will play out best). Plus a few weeks of royal jelly at the beginning of winter and mid-winter to boost energy and immunity.

Nihopaloa

Duelist from Germany
"Eyyyy"
As a pharmacist, be careful with iode supplements family. They are either unabsorbed (means you excrete your money right out, to use a polite term), or may interfere with thyroid medications / thyroid activity measures and such. I really would not favor those.
That's what I meant with doing some research beforehand. Thank you for specifying a bit more. I thought about the thyroid issue, but thinking and writing are two different things, apparently.

Runamok

Amazon from Miami, FL
Pronouns: She, her
"Mantra: I am ready to make my dreams come true and create my happy place."
I was recently diagnosed with diabetes, I am lactose intolerant and have a gluten sensitivity. I’m trying to lose another 90 lbs but have been on a plateau for awhile and since starting insulin I’ve been gaining weight. So I’m just looking for an edge here.

I’ve increased my fiber intake, I’m exercising, I’ve cut soda, juice and sweets. I’m making more home cooked meals: mainly lean meat & veggie’s. I snack on fruit, nuts, and lightly salted & lightly buttered popcorn. I’ve increased my water intake, I take a multivitamin, and a couple different B vitamins. I have my off days but I’m pretty sure I’m at 80/20 with the good choices. And it’s not easy with being tired and sore all the time.

I’m going to start researching whey protein(I have no idea if I’m even having the proper amount of protein), iron supplements(not eating liver 🤢), D vitamins, probiotics, Lglutamines, prebiotics, creatinine, omega 3(I can do sardines), and primrose w/borage.

Thank you all for the advice, I’ll let you know what happens.

Last edited:

Nihopaloa

Duelist from Germany
"Eyyyy"
@Runamok if you're unsure if you consume enough protein, try logging everything you eat for a week or so. There are websites and apps with databases behind it, and they usually give you the amount of protein you've eaten. The caveat is that you have to weigh everything for that.
Now I'm going to toss a bit of broscience out there, regarding diabetes and weight loss: If you cook with seed oils, you could try replacing those with olive oil, butter, lard, coconut oil (and I think a few others). Seed oils are oils made from rapeseed, sunflowers, etc. There's no risk doing so for some time, but I still advise doing your own research if you're interested. Since we cut out seed oils completely, not only lost my husband some weight, but we also feel much better. It was one of the bigger changes I made regarding nutrition, and I don't want to go back. There's fringe research regarding their effects on diabetes and weight, too, but it's... complicated.
Like I said, I label it as broscience, because research is a bit on the fence about this, but I don't see the harm in trying it out.

I wish you all the best with your diabetes and weight loss. You have my respect for making all those changes to get healthier. I hope you'll reach your goal.

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
It's been awhile since this thread was started, but as someone who indeed takes supplements, I thought I'd offer my two cents.

If you use them (most popularly eg whey protein, multivitamins, creatine, and caffeine), they should be exactly that: supplements to your diet. They should not stand in stead of what you regularly eat or drink. Try to have a fulfilling diet chock-full of nutrients and vitamins and then purchase something if you're not getting enough.

Do take into account what your goals are and how supplements will help.

As a powerlifter, I do take supplements regularly. I take two scoops of whey protein every time I workout, and a scoop of preworkout powder on days where I'm trying to set a PR. I also used to take creatine, which was surprisingly helpful.

I used to rely on these supplements *a lot* more, but I cut out the five scoops of protein powder a day, and two scoops of preworkout every workout. I find that I feel a lot better when my usage is judicious.

PaulStephenson

Taking multivitamins and B vitamins consistently is a good start, but you're right. There might be something better suited for you. As for protein shakes, they can give you an energy boost, especially after a workout. But watch out for those with caffeine if it makes you shaky. Have you tried powdered coconut milk? This has revolutionized everything for me! It's not only tasty but also packed with nutrients. CBD gummies can be hit or miss for some, but don't worry. There are plenty of options out there. Just make sure to focus on supplements that your body really needs, not just what's trendy.

Last edited: