Hard Reset scheduling questions

Leep

@Damer @neilarey I have a few questions about working the two daily workouts into a nontraditional or erratic schedule. I asked similar questions before the hive moved and apologize if in I missed the response in the shuffle.

I usually work nights (10-12+ hours starting at 6pm) although when short staffed I am called to come in early. I did the hard reset programs when I had a lot of time off and was temporarily on day shift so I was able to do them as recommended and found them to be amazing! I would like to do them again, but want to get an idea of how to spread the two workouts to maximize results when I can't fit them in the "normal" way.

What is the minimum time I should put between the workouts? Does this change if you spend the time between workouts sleeping? Should the cardio program be the first one after my sleep cycle and the strength be the one before bed? If I miss a program one day, should I continue each where I am or should I attempt to line them back up? How would you recommend getting them lined back up?

Sorry for all the questions. I feel the odd hours I keep are already bad for my health and that I must be vigilant in trying to take care of my body. This website has been instrumental. Thanks for all you do.

Last edited:
Solution
@Leep I'm sorry I am only now getting to this and no need to apologize in the least. First, you're right. Odd hours and night shifts are a huge stressor so anything you do to mitigate the harm they do is a plus.

To more fully answer your question I need to explain a little behind the principle of hard reset. The latest research shows that the body has a finite amount of energy to devote to physical training, physical training adaptations and post-training recovery. If we were to do two different sets of workouts, let's say, a fast-moving aerobic workout and then a strength one, the body would change but its emphasis would be on the last workout it has experienced and the adaptations would reflect that. So a lot of the...

Damer

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Warrior Monk from Terra
Pronouns: He/Him
@Leep I'm sorry I am only now getting to this and no need to apologize in the least. First, you're right. Odd hours and night shifts are a huge stressor so anything you do to mitigate the harm they do is a plus.

To more fully answer your question I need to explain a little behind the principle of hard reset. The latest research shows that the body has a finite amount of energy to devote to physical training, physical training adaptations and post-training recovery. If we were to do two different sets of workouts, let's say, a fast-moving aerobic workout and then a strength one, the body would change but its emphasis would be on the last workout it has experienced and the adaptations would reflect that. So a lot of the cardio/aerobic component of the first workout would go to waste.

Hard Reset aims to provide the best of both worlds by spacing the workouts a few hours apart (ideally 10 - 12 hours) so the body can recover in-between.

So, now to your specific situation. If we are talking about minimum time between workouts I'd say about six to eight hours. But, if you sleep in between this changes everything. The majority of physical adaptations happen when we sleep so if you exercise, go to sleep and then wake up and exercise again you can get the maximum benefits of each workout with the minimum amount of in-between time.

Without knowing your full capabilities I would advise you to always listen to you. If you feel that this does not overload you to the point that you can't keep the program up then go for it. If you feel you need a little more time after you wake up before you attempt the next workout then, again it is fine.

Finally, if you do miss one workout I'd say scratch that day like it didn't happen, and go back the next day and do them both. This may make the program a little longer than intended but you will reap the full benefits that way. I hope this helps. Don't hesitate to tag me for any follow-up questions if any arise or as they arise.

Solution