A Monk’s Journey

torricus

Warrior Monk from Canada
Pronouns: She/Her
"Beginning again"
Inspired by my current D&D character (Whisper of the Fallen Suns, a Tabaxi Monk), I’m approaching my wellness journey with a fresh perspective, and looking forward to a stronger, healthier tomorrow.

The new forums are well timed for me, because I have fallen away from some of my good fitness and nutrition habits as of late, and today seems as good a time as any to recommit to them. Wish me luck willpower and stamina!

torricus

Warrior Monk from Canada
"Beginning again"
Nothing like popping in to say "I'm starting again!" and then not coming back until five months later eh? But I have been steadily sticking with working out, even if my diet has been iffy. I tried in October and November to switch away from tracking my food (I use Lose It!) and trying to eat more intuitively instead, and quite frankly it was a disaster. I was more stressed out, overeating, and generally unhappy with how I was feeling, so after expressing my unhappiness to my partner, he very wisely and gently suggested that if it helped, there's nothing wrong with tracking. Anyway, tracking again now, still happy with it, and feeling like I have things in a good place, so progress will eventually follow.

As for working out: I tried Darebee's Bootcamp, and I tried a 30 Days of Yoga program, and I have conceded (yet again) that I need variety and flexibility in order to stay motivated, otherwise I fall off the wagon hard, which is why the workout plans have always worked better for me (since I have the flexibility to increase or decrease the level of intensity of the workout I pick -- the biggest hurdle for me is if I don't feel up to the workout that day, I just won't do it, and that's worse than doing a lower intensity workout). So I've switched back to the good ol' Assassin workout plan, swapping in yoga for rest days, and doing Zumba on one of my cardio days:

Monday: Cardio/HIIT
Tuesday: Yoga/abs
Wednesday: Combat
Thursday: Cardio/HIIT
Friday: Yoga/abs
Saturday: Zumba/HIIT
Sunday: Yoga

torricus

Warrior Monk from Canada
"Beginning again"
It's amazing what a weekend of Getting Stuff Done can do for motivation. Like everyone (I assume!) I go through periods where I have no inclination to move, and it's a struggle to get myself doing the basic tasks that need to be done and things feel overwhelming. Other times, I just hit these streaks of productivity and go, and I lucked into one of those this weekend: dishes are cleared, laundry is done, groceries are in the house (and I'm actually using them to cook instead of ordering in and watching my spinach die), caught up on schoolwork. And it's all helped me feel like I can actually stay on top for a bit, which is nice.

My workout plan has changed up a bit -- here's the updated one, following the Amazon program (switched around so I've got a yoga day on the weekend, and Zumba fits on Saturdays):

Monday: Strength Workout
Tuesday: Yoga
Wednesday: Cardio or Combat Workout
Thursday: Strength Workout
Friday: Yoga
Saturday: Cardio Workout (Zumba or other)
Sunday: Yoga

Today was Day 1 (again, ha!) and it felt good to get back into my old routine: Warmup (Universal Warmup on Strength days, Two-Minute Warmup on Cardio days), Workout (today was Noob, which is how I felt actually dedicating time to non-walking exercise again), and Cooldown (Morning Stretch).

You ever hate how good you feel after a workout? Because it's like, ugh, that did feel amazing, now I'm going to HAVE to do it again!