30-day add-on program in a weekly routine and cardio before/after workout

OldAt30

Hi everyone, I’m new here!

I searched a lot through the old threads, but I couldn’t find something suitable for me. Anyway, sorry if I’m asking something you already answered.

It could be a silly question, but I’m wondering if a 30-day add-on program is meant to be done in actual 30 consecutive days, or just in your workout days (let’s say, three times a week, so you start the next week at your 4th day). If it’s the first case, then is it ok to do add-on exercises on (not-anymore) rest days?
I picked Hardback Workout and Core Strength as add-on program. That is because Hardback Workout is already similar to a postural training I’ve done in the last year, recovering from a cervical problem. Since I’m pretty much ok now, but I’d like to move on and maintain the benefits of the old routine at the same time, I thought it’d be the best option before starting something new.
I also used to do 20 min light cardio (bike) before postural training - both to warmup a bit and to strengthen quadriceps (as suggested by my physiotherapist, since I’m still recovering from an old knee injury and can’t go running) - but now I’d warmup with the Universal Warmup. However, I’d like to do cardio as well, and I don’t know if it’s better doing it before or after a workout, or on rest days (then what about add-on exercises? Before or after them?).

Thanks a lot!

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
"“Keep an eye on the staircases. They like to change.” Percy Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."
It could be a silly question, but I’m wondering if a 30-day add-on program is meant to be done in actual 30 consecutive days
The 30 day programs, even the addons, have been studied and structured to be done in 30 consecutive days to obtain the maximum effect but many, for reasons of time, convenience or otherwise, simply make them on days when they train without problems.
However, I’d like to do cardio as well, and I don’t know if it’s better doing it before or after a workout, or on rest days (then what about add-on exercises? Before or after them?).
Typically cardio is done, if on the same day, after strength exercises because those require all available energy to be maximized.
Basically, you can do whatever works for you, experimenting a bit with what works :)
Keep in mind what your main workout is and you can add or remove everything else depending on the time, energy and desire you have.

OldAt30

The 30 day programs, even the addons, have been studied and structured to be done in 30 consecutive days to obtain the maximum effect but many, for reasons of time, convenience or otherwise, simply make them on days when they train without problems.

Typically cardio is done, if on the same day, after strength exercises because those require all available energy to be maximized.
Basically, you can do whatever works for you, experimenting a bit with what works :)
Keep in mind what your main workout is and you can add or remove everything else depending on the time, energy and desire you have.
Thank you Fremen :)
We're always overwhelmed by this program, that exercise, etc. But we often forget about listening to our body and how it responds to different workouts.

Redline

DAREBEE Team
DAREBEE Team
Ninja from Marseille, France
Welcome, @OldAt30 !
There's also what we wish we could ideally do... and what we're actually able to fit in a single day.;)
I agree with what @Fremen wrote, with a few extra remarks:
- it's perfectly fine to have a cardio-based workout in the morning and a strength-based workout later in the evening
- add-on programs usually follow a 4-day pattern that matches most strength programs. Some days are supposed to be light, and that's fine. Your body will get stronger if you push it on a regular basis, as long as you give it time to recover between your harder sessions.

I hope this helps!

OldAt30

Welcome, @OldAt30 !
There's also what we wish we could ideally do... and what we're actually able to fit in a single day.;)
I agree with what @Fremen wrote, with a few extra remarks:
- it's perfectly fine to have a cardio-based workout in the morning and a strength-based workout later in the evening
- add-on programs usually follow a 4-day pattern that matches most strength programs. Some days are supposed to be light, and that's fine. Your body will get stronger if you push it on a regular basis, as long as you give it time to recover between your harder sessions.

I hope this helps!
Yeah, it is very helpful!
I'll try to follow the 30-day program as is, alternating main workout and cardio, keeping everything at Level I. So that I can better aim to a solid base routine, than to a hard workout. Then I can step up whenever I'm ready