4 Day Split Calisthenics Suggestions

JeffDouglas

Hero from Brooklyn
Hey Squad. I would like suggestions for a 4 day split using calisthenics. I'm 6 foot 4, 300 lbs, 55 years old, a widower, and my goals are to lose weight and gain muscle. I'm just starting back after a year layoff. I'm starting with the flat belly workout until I get a better workout. I've been lazy and felt defeated far too long. Exercise is helping me be who I was and I don't want to grow old and helpless. I just want to grow old gracefully and remain independent. Can't do any pull ups yet and I'm struggling with push ups with a grand total of 5. I'm open to any suggestions. I'm also looking to be a trainer and I figure that I have to walk the walk before I talk that talk!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210613-180716_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210613-180716_Google.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 4
Solution
Hi, @JeffDouglas and welcome to the Hive! :hi:
Being able to do 5 full push-ups is nothing to complain about!
I have a few questions that you might like to consider -
  • what exercise activities do you really enjoy?
  • what exercise activities do you really hate? (Working out the 'why' for both of these would also be good.)
  • losing weight and gaining muscle are great goals, but to achieve them, you're better off making them more specific - so how much weight, in how long a time? What muscle and for what purpose?
  • Do you do any cardio exercises - running, cycling, rowing, walking?
  • also, how much time do you have to exercise? Can you do it daily, or are you constrained to weekends - or anything in between?
  • how much...

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
"Motivation is temporary. Discipline is forever."
  • what exercise activities do you really hate? (Working out the 'why' for both of these would also be good.)
  • losing weight and gaining muscle are great goals, but to achieve them, you're better off making them more specific - so how much weight, in how long a time? What muscle and for what purpose?
  • also, how much time do you have to exercise? Can you do it daily, or are you constrained to weekends - or anything in between?
  • how much familiarity do you have with exercising, and do/can you perform some basic exercises (like squats and push-ups) with good form or is that something you need to work on?
  • do you do any stretching? Maintaining mobility as we age is important.
  • how is your balance?
Okay, perhaps "a few questions" was an understatement! When you've thought about these things, though, you might find it easier to select programmes, workouts and/or challenges that you can do. Always start a little below what you think you are capable of. It's far more heartening to go forward than backwards.
If you want to do pull-ups, there is a number of various challenges that progress you toward that goal, from the dead hang challenge, designed to improve grip strength, to negative pull-ups, all the way to full pull-ups.
To give yourself a benchmark, you might like to have a go at the fitness test. It's a handy device to see where you're at now and later, to gauge improvements.
I hope I've helped you a bit. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

Solution

JeffDouglas

Hero from Brooklyn
  • how much familiarity do you have with exercising, and do/can you perform some basic exercises (like squats and push-ups) with good form or is that something you need to work on?
  • how is your balance?
Okay, perhaps "a few questions" was an understatement! When you've thought about these things, though, you might find it easier to select programmes, workouts and/or challenges that you can do. Always start a little below what you think you are capable of. It's far more heartening to go forward than backwards.
If you want to do pull-ups, there is a number of various challenges that progress you toward that goal, from the dead hang challenge, designed to improve grip strength, to negative pull-ups, all the way to full pull-ups.
To give yourself a benchmark, you might like to have a go at the fitness test. It's a handy device to see where you're at now and later, to gauge improvements.
Hey TopNotch. You asked and answered a lot for me. I’ll start with the fitness test.

JeffDouglas

Hero from Brooklyn
  • how is your balance?
I’m at level 2. I’m sweating so I’m starting the day right.