Advice for returning to fitness

Hi there,

I used to be very active before but ever since COVID started, and my workload had increased, my activity has declined dramatically. Now I finally have more time on my hands and I don't spend as much time in front of the computer screen, but I am finding it so difficult to become as active as I was. I also have gone up from about 75kg to 97 or 98kg in the last two years so that has put more pressure on my joints and muscles. I want to get back to where I was and better.

I've looked thoroughly at Darebee's training programs and I think I might start off with the Reboot program, with Back and Core and also Core Strength as add-on programs. Do you think that is a good starting point? Maybe Classic Warmup before and Everyday Stretching after?

Then after the first month, maybe I should increase the Level in Reboot, or move on to something like 60 Days of Cardio or 30 Days of Cardio Blast?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Edit: Sorry I forgot to mention that my height is 1.76m.

Last edited:

mavie

from germany
Pronouns: she/her
Sounds good to me. On my journey walking a lot was key. I started with short distances and increased those rather quickly. It's easy to do and it makes the body comfortable with moving again, especially when overweight. First focus should be consistency, in my opinion. Do as little as to make it possible to do it on a regular basis. Good luck and welcome to the Hive.
:hi:

Sounds good to me. On my journey walking a lot was key. I started with short distances and increased those rather quickly. It's easy to do and it makes the body comfortable with moving again, especially when overweight. First focus should be consistency, in my opinion. Do as little as to make it possible to do it on a regular basis. Good luck and welcome to the Hive.
:hi:
Thanks a lot Mavie. I appreciate you making it seem easier and for your motivation. :)

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
"Motivation is temporary. Discipline is forever."
I wouldn't recommend doing both Add-Ons at the same time. Bear in mind also that Reboot is also quite ab-y. Is Reboot a good starting point? Well, that all depends on what it is you want to achieve. If you've got problems with joints, you might consider a programme that has a greater variety of exercises so that you're not constantly using those that might be hurting, as Reboot only has two exercises. Don't try to be too over-optimistic. Take things easy to start with. It's always nicer to be able to increase things than find you have to decrease things.

I wouldn't recommend doing both Add-Ons at the same time. Bear in mind also that Reboot is also quite ab-y. Is Reboot a good starting point? Well, that all depends on what it is you want to achieve. If you've got problems with joints, you might consider a programme that has a greater variety of exercises so that you're not constantly using those that might be hurting, as Reboot only has two exercises. Don't try to be too over-optimistic. Take things easy to start with. It's always nicer to be able to increase things than find you have to decrease things.
Hi TopNotch,
I appreciate your reality check. I guess I quickly want to get back into fitness as I used to very active before and even played basketball nearly every day.
I forgot to mention that I have been trying to walk briskly for about half an hour each day, which doesn't seem difficult as I regularly used to do it a few years ago.
Do you then have a recommendation for someone who is ambitious but also doesn't want to get injured too quickly getting back on track? Thanks for pointing out that Reboot only has two exercises.
I've been trying to narrow down programs over and over again, but I don't want to start all the way down at Foundation or Foundation Light. I would like something that works out my entire body but includes burning/streamlining and also a useful add-on that works on the core and back (that's why I selected those 2 add-ons).
Thanks again.

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
"“Keep an eye on the staircases. They like to change.” Percy Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."
Darebee offers a lot of interesting resources and we tend to overdo it a bit at the beginning due to excess of zeal :LOL:
I would limit myself to doing one program at a time without other programs even if addon and if it becomes too easy just increase the sets or decrease the rest time to immediately raise the level of difficulty.
If you really want to add something maybe it is better to take a look at the challenges that are more manageable in terms of time and effort than a real program.
This is just my opinion in the end only you know what is really good for you ;) and welcome :worried:

Darebee offers a lot of interesting resources and we tend to overdo it a bit at the beginning due to excess of zeal :LOL:
I would limit myself to doing one program at a time without other programs even if addon and if it becomes too easy just increase the sets or decrease the rest time to immediately raise the level of difficulty.
If you really want to add something maybe it is better to take a look at the challenges that are more manageable in terms of time and effort than a real program.
This is just my opinion in the end only you know what is really good for you ;) and welcome :worried:
Hi Fremen,
Thanks for widening the horizons and I appreciate your welcome and motivation.:ss:

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
"Motivation is temporary. Discipline is forever."
Nothng wrong with Foundation, but perhaps you might like to try Ten. I know it can be frustrating if you're used to being able to do something and now can't so you're in a hurry to get back to that place. Going too fast, however, as you know, will just lead to injury. Walking is great exercise. Once it becomes quite easy for you, as you used to play basketball, perhaps you'd like to start adding running to your programme, if your joints are okay with that. There are some good challenges for that, including FromWalking to Running which is excellent for those just starting out (again).

216lbs 5' 7" and you was 165lbs. so that's about a 50lb gain. What's your diet like ?
Hi Heniek,
Actually, 176cm = 5.77ft = between 5ft9in and 5ft10in. Maybe there is a bit more fried food in my diet but I always avoid french fries. I try to eat healthier food but I guess it's the amount I eat. Also, less exercise compounds the situation. I am trying to reverse this now by walking more and reducing my caloric intake.

Nothng wrong with Foundation, but perhaps you might like to try Ten. I know it can be frustrating if you're used to being able to do something and now can't so you're in a hurry to get back to that place. Going too fast, however, as you know, will just lead to injury. Walking is great exercise. Once it becomes quite easy for you, as you used to play basketball, perhaps you'd like to start adding running to your programme, if your joints are okay with that. There are some good challenges for that, including FromWalking to Running which is excellent for those just starting out (again).
You're right TopNotch. It is that frustration and maybe not wanting to accept that I have to work my way back up again gradually. As you pointed out, it probably will lead to injury. I'm making brisk walking at least 30 minutes a daily routine as much as I can. I will probably start off with Foundation or Ten, with an add-on of Back and Core possibly to aid in recovery and pain relief. I am also going occasionally to the physiotherapist for my back and knees. Hopefully with the training, this can be minimised.
Thanks so much for your help and contribution to my journey back to fitness. :ss:

What about sugar ? I know some who loose a lot from IF and keto. Eat a big salad before meals helps with overeating. Walk 2 hours everyday which can be split into 4 X 30mins.
Thanks for the further advice Heniek. I appreciate it.
I will try to walk more... going 4 times a day is not practical for me, so I'll just extend my walking time if possible. And yes having a salad before the meal is a good idea.. I tend to have it with or after the meal

My foreman did really really well with IF and ketone diet also my son follows this . . .

Hi Heniek,
Yes I am very interested in Dr. Berg's videos too, but I guess I should put more theory into action. Once you mentioned intermittent fasting and keto, I thought of him straight away. :ss:

I appreciate your support once again.

@ReturntoFitness
I worked as a general labourer/foreman's assistant my last 13 years before retiring 5 year ago, it involved a lot of variety on large detached condo sites, a lot of manual work all day, imagine getting paid to workout eh! Well I always prep my food for the day and it was a lot but all good. I ate in the trailer with my foreman who was getting reall fat, his t-shirt would ride up his belly when he sat down. After I left he got inspired by me and started eating clean and going to the gym, I visited the company office a couple of years later and heard Jason was on his way there, Tracy told me he'd lost a lot of weight. He arrive and it was amazing the change.

Even though my job was like working out I also had a home gym and went to a Yoga studio regularly, lifted on me days off. When I hear people say they walk 30 mins a day and I would sometimes push a wheelbarrow full of stone on uneven grade all day, 30 mins is nothing. But I always get the "well it's better than nothing". I did a Cross-Fit Bootcamp 3 days a week for a month at 6am before work.

Let's ROCK!
I'm very glad to hear that you were able to inspire your foreman to follow a healthier lifestyle.
Thanks for putting into perspective for me what a real workout is! :LOL:
I really appreciate your motivation for me and I hope to get back on track very soon.
Take care!

d1_trackstar

Jedi from Omaha, NE
"Faster, Faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
Hi there,

I used to be very active before but ever since COVID started, and my workload had increased, my activity has declined dramatically. Now I finally have more time on my hands and I don't spend as much time in front of the computer screen, but I am finding it so difficult to become as active as I was. I also have gone up from about 75kg to 97 or 98kg in the last two years so that has put more pressure on my joints and muscles. I want to get back to where I was and better.

I've looked thoroughly at Darebee's training programs and I think I might start off with the Reboot program, with Back and Core and also Core Strength as add-on programs. Do you think that is a good starting point? Maybe Classic Warmup before and Everyday Stretching after?

Then after the first month, maybe I should increase the Level in Reboot, or move on to something like 60 Days of Cardio or 30 Days of Cardio Blast?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Edit: Sorry I forgot to mention that my height is 1.76m.
No matter what you do, don't jump into a workout that that's too challenging thinking it is going to get you to the same level as someone else. That will end up only injuring you and possibly even killing you. But yes definitely increase the intensity over time because your body won't improve if there's no longer a challenge.