Do you grow your own food?

neilarey

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Shieldmaiden from Greece
"Trust The Awesomeness"
I always wanted to grow my own produce. Both my grandparents had land and they grew their own food - fruit, vegetables, flowers even. I still remember what a real cucumber from a greenhouse tastes like. It takes like power :fist: well, it used to taste fresh and sweet. I struggle to find cucumbers that taste like that here. Sigh.

Alas, I live in an apartment so I can't grow very much. I do have two trees that produce a small crop: a pomegranate tree and a lemon tree.

20220925_095219.jpg

I also have a herb garden and it's seriously out of control - I need to cut everything back and soon.

I grow basil, rosemary, thyme, oregano and mint!

20220925_095059.jpg

Anek

Sorceress from Bavaria, Germany
Pronouns: She/her
"If the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember Cedric Diggory."
Wow, your pomegranate tree looks really nice!
I have a vegetable garden and I try to grow most of my vegetables. I currently have a cherry, a peach, an apple, two pear, and a plum trees, and next year we're going to plant a lot more! The trees are mostly still small, only the cherry and the plum trees are producing a good harvest. The apple does well too but this year the apples are really small, less than fist size, I should have removed more earlier.

Mostly I grow summer vegetables, so tomatoes, zucchini, aubergines, bell peppers, some beans, plus various cabbages for autumn. I'm trying to work the garden on permaculture principles, and that's also how I'll do the rest of the garden next year. A lot to learn but I love spending time with my plants.

OJJJEM

Mother of Dragons Posts: 583
I get my eggs from my chickens, grapes from my vineyard, pecans and chestnuts from my orchard, as well as a few persimmons and pomegranates (LOVE ME SOME PINK POMS!) My herb garden yields peppermint, chamomile, and echinacea for teas, and basil, parsley, and oregano for seasonings. Redbuds and mimosas (flowering trees) are also used. In the spring thru fall, we've got all them "summer veggies", which we have dubbed "veggiefruits"... tomatoes, peppers, squashes, and gourds. I don't worry about root veggies or leafy greens here... Around here, there's always someone who owns a field... collards, turnips, sweet potatoes, corn, watermelon (also sold ridiculously cheap here due to how common it is)... not to mention cotton, which isn't edible, but still... a field... Got neighbors who grow blueberries, sell local honey, owns livestock... and chickens are more common than housepets. HAHAHA!

OJJJEM

Mother of Dragons Posts: 583
I’ve have the sad tendency to kill every plant I touch :( but I’m thinking of trying again sometime, because the catnip I’ve been growing for my cat has been thriving! I’ll probably start with an herb garden.
Mint and oregano grow really well with little effort, and tomatoes can grow in just about any sad soil condition and is one of the easiest to be able to tell what's wrong when it's unhappy.

Arwen

Guardian from South East of USA
"Feeling great!"
I love gardening! I've got a very small backyard, but I do have a raised bed garden 4 ft. x 8 ft. This past year I did a couple types of tomatoes, Japanese Eggplant, some hot peppers, oregano, and a few types of basil. Then some random herbs in garden pots -- sage, bee-balm and chive. So, mostly herbs. The Eggplant I did on a whim to see how it would do here, and it did really well this year. I'm figuring out how I can add in more vegetables next year...

Polkadotsandsuperglue

We have an apple and an Asian pear tree and several blueberry bushes. Summer vegetables are tomatoes and zucchini. In pots I have mint, Chinese garlic chives and green onion. Recently I learned with a green onion, you can cut off the white end leaving the roots and stick them direct in dirt or water to grow. I want to try to grow ginger indoors.
5F5596B5-6C99-4EC2-980B-D1C62C2C961C.jpeg

Jaga

"I don’t have a soul. I am a soul. I have a body."
I do! My granny did, my parents do as well. Not everything, but something. That brings joy and it tastes so much better. I have apple trees, currants, rhubarb, herbs and tomatoes. Last year we went for potatoes and beans as well, since I've got a place to grow them. Blueberries are everywhere in the forest and it's free to pick em up.

Jaga

"I don’t have a soul. I am a soul. I have a body."
I’ve have the sad tendency to kill every plant I touch :( but I’m thinking of trying again sometime, because the catnip I’ve been growing for my cat has been thriving! I’ll probably start with an herb garden.
That's the one of the reasons , why I don't have home plants:facepalm:.

Sólveig

Pirate from Cabudare - Venezuela
Pronouns: She/Her
"Ars longa, vita brevis"
I did, but right now I don't have bigger pots for the things that I want. I used to have quite a lot of garlic chives, but due to the weather last year they sadly died out. Green onions are something that I always end up regrowing, and growing garlic was also a cool experiment. My mom right now is experimenting with watermelons and I believe cucumber, and I'm interested to see if I can grow mandarins this year, mostly as an experiment. We currently have a green onion that is blooming, so we're hyped about the seeds!

Deadoks

Viking from Belgium
"Berserker"
I have a big garden with flowers, trees...
I have a green garden for the basic veggies like lettuce, onions, radish, brocoli, carrots, tomatoes... It's far from what we need for the family (2 adults 2 young kids) but enough to enjoy some wonderful veggies.
And I have 2 chicken that give 2 eggs per day (but not in winter).

legolo

Mercenary from Germany
Pronouns: He
"I am the one thing in life I can control"
My parents (mostly my dad because he doesn´t know what hobbies are) grow a lot of produce. We have a big apple and a slightly smaller pear tree, used to have a cherry tree (losing that one really hurts cause I love cherries, even though the birds always ate them all), an avocado tree (that´ll take a few more years before it´ll grow fruits), we used to have a citrus tree too, but I don´t know what happened to it. We have strawberries and raspberries too. My dad always grew around three dozens of different kinds of tomatos, literal tons of zuccini and three different kinds of salad, but recently he acquired a small plot of land from our neighbor so he has expanded. Potatoes, cucumbers, hot peppers, regular peppers, beans, peas, brussels sprouts, pumpkins, cauliflower and probably a lot more stuff I can´t remember. I used to get care packages of greens, but since it´s winter, there´s not really a lot going in the garden.