Further up and further in!

brandonjohnson

Knight from Pensacola, FL
"Further up and further in!"
@TheLibrarian @mavie @Montserrat @BetaCorvi @Froud @Fremen thanks! My next step will be finishing off my Negative Pullups challenge, just a few days left on that one. Then, I'll keep working on my Hero's Journey program and get that badge too.

Still figuring out what will be best for the new year, I could start a DareBee or other program or just do DareBee WODs when I can. We'll see...

brandonjohnson

Also, I've continued to track my walks since September 2020 using a fun "Walk to Mordor" app that tracks your progress through The Lord of the Rings. This month, I contributed 38 miles to the journey.

That makes a total of 539 miles for 2022! Further up and further in as we make our way to the slopes of Mount Doom!

brandonjohnson

Today I'm putting the Hero's Journey on pause. I'm very out of shape and don't have consistency anymore, plus I can tell that I don't have all-around strength like I used to. Instead, I'm going to restart the Buff Dudes Bodyweight Plan and try to do more compound movements and hit all major muscle groups.

TODAY'S WORKOUT

Buff Dudes Bodyweight Plan Phase 1 Day 1

I could only get through 2 sets before I started feeling weak, then really had to pause for a few minutes and catch my breath. Maybe that was too much to bite off at once, but I'd still like to keep at it. Once I feel a bit stronger I'll hit the last days of Hero's Journey and earn that badge.

Further up and further in!

JohnStrong

Guardian from Alberta
"No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates"

brandonjohnson

Buff Dudes Bodyweight Plan Phase 3 Day 5

By the way, only walked 30.5 miles in February, for a total of 73.5 miles on the year. Lots of bad weather in the mornings, starting a new job with earlier meetings, and being sick for a bit kept me from keeping up a decent pace. That also kept me from my workout plan for quite a bit.

brandonjohnson

Buff Dudes Bodyweight Plan Phase 3 Day A

So it's been almost a month of not working out, it's either been sickness or extra work on my sister's house as she prepares to move in, plus just general exhaustion from my new job and side work that helps pay the bills. Just a lot dragging me down, but I feel like I'm getting my arms around everything a bit better now.

I'm saying it's "Day A" of the workout because I'm modifying the plan quite a bit. This current phase is meant to be a separate muscle group each day (legs, back, chest, shoulders, arms) but since I haven't worked out in so long I didn't want to strain any muscle too much. So I'm taking one or two exercises from each day and combining them into a single workout - I think this will be a more balanced approach that will also end up making each workout quicker. Almost all of the exercises get done, just in a different order.

brandonjohnson

Buff Dudes Bodyweight Plan Phase 4 Day 1

Did a couple of sets, I am ridiculously out of shape. Hoping to get through this final phase of the plan, then go back and finish Hero's Journey and earn that badge, then I need to get back to basics again. Still walking most mornings, but the busyness of life is really kicking my butt right now...

brandonjohnson

So change of plan. I'm going back to square one, literally. When I can barely get through a full set of exercises without feeling weak, I think it's time to get back to the fundamentals. And what better place to find the fundamentals than here with my fellow Bees?

To that end, I really am going to pick up the Square One program, alongside the Vitality program. I can still do plenty of hard work that requires physical strength, but I'd like to build up some basic functional strength with exercising and ease back into it all. I can tell that I'm missing a routine, and rather than picking up something that's way too difficult I'm going to take a step back and focus on simpler exercises that will hopefully serve me later on when I pick up the advanced stuff again. It's discouraging to be in this place again, but I do want to lose a little weight and tone up, and that's difficult when I'm tired all the time. Better to do something manageable for now and build up my strength for later on.

Tileenah

Warrior from France
:gogogo: working out while exhausted is so hard ! And I feel you on getting set backed to a lower level of fitness than you used to. It is frustrating and depressing, because achieving any kind of fitness is so much work and it goes away so much faster than it took time to build!
Your mindset in the right place, starting smaller with things that are easier and that you can complete and still manage your everyday life (which seems very full to me) is always a good idea.
You can do this ! :staystrong: