TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
"Motivation is temporary. Discipline is forever."

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
Thanks, @Lady Celerity @NancyTree @lpf

Programmes:
:v: 60 Days of Walking Day 14 - okay, so I 'cheated; and jumped straight to Friday. That's because I could strong-arm my eldest into coming with me today and I wanted to try a new route and I had to stop occasionally for her and so it took longer than otherwise (but not very much), hence I decided to make today my 90-minute walk day. I told my girl that it wouldn't be a really hard hike, but sometimes the path went through what she called the "veggie patch":
20230411_231032.jpg

and sometimes it disappeared completely:
20230411_232315.jpg
which set me a bit of a challenge but I always managed to rediscover it. Some of that was because of vegetal growth, some because of the usual:
20230411_232456.jpg

Overall, though, quite nice:
20230411_230840.jpg

:v: Code of Abs Day 2

Challenges:
:v: Leg Day Everyday Day 11
:v: Knee Push-ups Day 29
:v: Tricep Dips Day 12
:v: Upperbody Day 12

:v: Writing
:v: Reading

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
Programmes:
:v: 60 Days of Walking Day 11 - this was supposed to be day 12, but it was a wet grey day and I followed some narrow tracks I'd not taken before and was having so much fun, I decided to go for 60 minutes. It rained a little towards the end but I was on the way home so it didn't matter. I've decided I will move the week's walks around to suit what I've got on.
:v: Code of Abs Day 3

Challenges:
:v: Leg Day Everyday Day 12
:v: Knee Push-ups Day 30
:v: Tricep Dips Day 13
:v: Upperbody Day 13

daejamurrachan

Druid from Colorado
"Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together. Marilyn Monroe"
Happy Birthday Oops GIF by Hallmark Gold Crown

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
Thanks, @Matan
@daejamurrachan You do realise that I'm the one who has to work off those calories, right?

Programmes:
:v: 60 Days of Walking Day 13 - Six of my last nine walk have been around the Hill, so it's time to move on before I get bored. And I'm not a quarter through this programme yet (tomorrow is day 15 because I did day 14 on day 11 and...). It's a little harder with this being school holidays because I can't really spend the day (or much of it) away somewhere just having fun.
:v: Code of Abs Day 5

Challenges:
:v: Leg Day Everyday Day 14
:v: Tricep Dips Day 15
:v: Upperbody Day 15

The Lad has spots. I'm thinking chicken pox. There's not so many and they aren't really bothering him, so that's all good. But I told him I'm not taking him out for a bit. He decided to help me with my new jigsaw of which I'd completed about half, so we spent a little more than an hour finishing it. Oh, he's one of those people who take a piece and then try it in every possible spot, looking for where it might go! Argh, that sort of thing drives me crazy!! I just look at the puzzle, look at the pieces, then finally extract a piece and slot it right in, no fuss, no bother. Anyway, this was a picture with fish and coral, bright and busy - quite a departure from my usual, and it was fun to do it with him. Just once... :)

I realise that I have to squeeze some running in somewhere. It's been over two weeks since I've done any and I don't want to get out of the habit that I haven't really go into yet :LOL: but it's a bit of a challenge with all this walking. Don't get me wrong - love going for hikes, but doing it every day is taking some time as it's not something that can be squeezed in when I've got a few minutes, like push-ups or something. Have to run though...

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
Programmes:
:v: 60 Days of Walking Day 15 - went up another mountain today, but too many people on the path. Not that I like walking a paved route anyway, so I headed out off the path and got beautifully lost among the scrub and trees and had to pause a bit and work out my route when I came across a relatively deep gully. Fun, and because I pointed my nose in the right direction (and I always follow my nose!) I got back to the paved path for a bit until I could peel off and follow another track. Ditto on the way back down.
:v: Code of Abs Day 6

Challenges:
:v: Leg Day Everyday Day 15
:v: Tricep Dips Day 16
:v: Upperbody Day 16

Found out later this afternoon that it's Saturday. What happened to Friday? I was so convinced that today was Friday. I was baffled as to why there was so much traffic, why the carpark at my former place of employment (which I passed on the way to today's hiking location) was empty, why there were so many people up the mountain. Now I know. And actually, if I had realised it was Saturday, I would never have gone on that walk because it was too busy, and you know me and people...

The Lad wanted to play darts with me. Not my preferred pub game - I was more the pool shark. :LOL: Anyway, we played Around the World, where you have to get a dart in the one zone and then two, etc. He was quite happily ahead and then I started getting unlucky - I caught up with him and passed him. He said that if you got a bull's-eye, that was the same as getting whatever number you were supposed to get. So I tossed carelessly - and got a bull's-eye. Then I flicked the darts negligently, and ended up getting to 20 when he was only on 14. I wasn't trying to make it look as though I wasn't trying to win, but I kind of wasn't, you know. After all, he's only 8. Then after dinner, he challenged me to a game of backgammon. Been ages since I'd played and I couldn't remember the rules, so I had to trust him (and he cheats!). And darn it all if I didn't win again. Some days, things just don't work out the way you want them to. I try to keep the games close, to encourage him to work hard to win, because it's disheartening if someone totally trashes you, but it's also disheartening if you know the other person (aka, your parent or older sibling) isn't trying to win. No challenge then. Sometimes, though, it's really hard to lose!

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
Programmes:
:v: 60 Days of Walking Day 16
:v: Code of Abs Day 7

Challenges:
:v: From Walking to Running Day 1 - I want to do a bit of running but it's best for me if I follow some sort of programme but I don't have enough time to do ZR right now, so this one will be fine.
:v: Leg Day Everyday Day 16
:v: Tricep Dips Day 17
:v: Upperbody Day 17

:v: FitOn Yoga programme. 33 minutes. Didn't really like this one - too much "follow your intuition" and suchlike.

It was drizzling this morning when I went out. Did the running bit first, then my 45 minutes of walking. It was lovely out. There was nobody around and the rain was only a bit so I got damp, not drenched. I enjoyed it.

Last edited:

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
Programmes:
:v: 60 Days of Walking Day 17
:v: Code of Abs Day 8

Challenges:
:v: From Walking to Running Day 2 - Once again, did this outside prior to the walking. Went around the base of a mountain so not too much incline, and fortunately most of it occurred when I had to be walking anyway.
20230417_220742.jpg

20230417_220719.jpg

20230417_220821.jpg
Quite different weather from yesterday, but it's starting (of course) to get cooler now. Still okay in a t-shirt but not for much longer. When I was out, the 'feel' temp was 11 - 14°C.

:v: Leg Day Everyday Day 17
:v: Tricep Dips Day 18
:v: Upperbody Day 17

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
Programmes:
:v: 60 Days of Walking Day 18 - Went somewhere new again today. Not very exciting, but interesting. I started off just following the fire trail because I couldn't find the trail head (!) but after about 1km, I got bored of that. I couldn't find any tracks up the hill so I made my own - pure bush-bashing, and sometimes I had to backtrack a little because I couldn't get through the way I had been going. Finally, near the ridge, I found a track, which was Good News because I was not looking forward to going back down the way I had come up! Nice views, but the track itself... well, it was okay.
20230418_215536.jpg
You can see where I left the fire trail - and why I didn't want to have to go back that way!

20230418_213839.jpg
Bush-bashing

20230418_214030.jpg
A path (up on the ridge line)! Which had to have another end somewhere, right?

20230418_213954.jpg
Nice views. I love the blue of an autumnal sky.

:v: Code of Abs Day 9

Challenges:
:x: From Walking to Running Day 3
:v: Leg Day Everyday Day 18
:v: Tricep Dips Day 19
:v: Upperbody Day 19

My second-born begged for a sleep-over tonight, and I said she had to make sure the mother understood about the Lad's spots. The mother herself appeared not much later on my doorstep, and after a little while, I invited her in. She stayed for about 4 hours! I'd forgotten to do my running first this morning and after tackling that track, didn't feel up to doing it afterwards, so decided I'd save it for later in the day. But "later in the day" was occupied, so I didn't get to do it at all. Tomorrow.

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia

Attachments

• 20230419_195240.jpg
    20230419_195240.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 0

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
Programmes:
:v: 60 Days of Walking Day 21 - 7.3km. Did it again. Decided to take a slightly different route up the Hill. Lovely cloudy day but my arms got a little chilly. Long sleeves when there is no sun now, I guess. I took it a little easier today so didn't get particularly hot and sweaty. Anyway, the route was pleasant and I've generally done parts of this coming from the other direction so that made it a little different. At about the half-way point, I decided to turn right rather than go straight ahead, which added time and so I let it become tomorrow's 90-min walk and I'll do today's 60-min walk tomorrow instead. :)

20230420_201609.jpg

20230420_201637.jpg

:v: Code of Abs Day 11

Challenges:
:v: From Walking to Running Day 4
:v: Leg Day Everyday Day 20
:v: Tricep Dips Day 21
:v: Upperbody Day 21

I've got a new partner in a partner quest on Duolingo and I feel so disloyal! After doing so many quests together, now I just turn to someone else. ;)

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
Programmes:
:v: 60 Days of Walking Day 22 - As I had to go to the Library for a write-In but later than usual (2pm), I decided to do my walk first. Around the Central Basin again, including the entirety of the titchy little Queen Elizabeth II island with the carillon on it. All up, 6.17km in an hour, and I wasn't too sweaty or anything (which I hadn't considered!) when I got to the cafe. Only E was there, T having called off. After an hour, E left, so I finished up and went too, a little sooner than I otherwise would, but sitting by myself (which is fine) in a noisy and overpriced cafe (which is not) did not appeal to me.
:v: Code of Abs Day 13

Challenges:
:v: From Walking to Running Day 6 - Did this on the treadmill this morning because I wouldn't be able to do it right before the walk today as I have been doing.
:v: Leg Day Everyday Day 22
:v: Tricep Dips Day 23
:v: Upperbody Day 23

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
20230425_152839.jpg
ANZAC Day.

Programmes:
:v: 60 Days of Walking Day 25 - As it's a public holiday today, there were more people on my (am I too possessive?) Hill, and everyone nods or says hello so I have to smile and nod and pretend to a degree of civilisation. Many of the little trails I follow are very narrow, barely the width of a foot, and the weeds and grasses are almost to my shoulders. I shouldn't wonder if some of them started as animal tracks that eventually people also started following. Not all of them, though - some go under the wire fences! Rabbits, I'd say.:)
:v: Code of Abs Day 16

Challenges:
:v: From Walking to Running Day 9
:v: Leg Day Everyday Day 25
:v: Tricep Dips Day 26
:v: Upperbody Day 26

School holidays are over. The older two go back to school tomorrow but I'll keep the Lad off until next week - he's still got some spots.

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
Programmes:
:v: 60 Days of Walking Day 26
:v: Code of Abs Day 17

Challenges:
:v: From Walking to Running Day 10
:v: Leg Day Everyday Day 26
:v: Tricep Dips Day 27
:v: Upperbody Day 27

:v: Writing - achieved my CampNaNo goal today. As I'm doing the second draft, I couldn't put a word goal (sometimes I delete 100 words and write 101 words and my stats record that as just one word, and if it's the other way around, it's -1, so a word goal for re-drafts really aren't possible) and it was recommended that if you put a time goal, you calculate it as one "word" per minute. So I put down 30 hours - or 1800 "words" for this month, and I got there today. Writing and researching. Pleased with that. Added about 18 000 words so I'm almost at the number I'd like to be at. Haven't finished the second draft yet, though.

It's nice to be appreciated, even for little things:
20230426_194555.jpg

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
Programmes:
:v: 60 Days of Walking Day 27
:v: Code of Abs Day 18

Challenges:
:v: From Walking to Running Day 11
:v: Leg Day Everyday Day 27
:v: Tricep Dips Day 28
:v: Upperbody Day 28

:v: Taekwondo. First lesson back after the break. Why do coaches always say, "It's the first lesson after the break so we'll take it easy" and then not do that? I guess it just seems as though they don't. I'm such a slacker. :LOL: We started warmups with shoulder touching, where you stand foot against foot to your opponent and then, with your inside hand, try to touch their shoulder while not allowing them to touch yours. The adults are always in one line, facing the children, and one line moves up one after each round, so the adults all get to go against children. Some of which are absolutely tiny, and even on my knees I was towering (so it seemed to me) over my opponent! Of course, I also had the greater reach. But they are nippy! A bit of fun. The kick du jour (hm, what's kick in French? Coup? Should I say, the coup du jour?) was jumping front kick. I like that we work on only one kick each lesson, often breaking it down, so even I have half a chance of getting it almost right. ;)