lpf's honeycomb of experiments, challenges, programs and other things for science

lpf

Rogue Posts: 290
"“I am, and always will be, the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes, and the dreamer of improbable dreams.” (Eleventh Doctor)"
*blowing the dust away*

hello there....

I hope everyone is feeling alright... so... what did I want to say?
I didn't miss any workout, I mixed some things a bit up, did a full week of "I am wrath" with increasing the time, from 5 to 10 minutes...
I did a week with 3 times crossfit WOD Cindy... and some running
and then I am here again, Pull-Legs-Push... Pull was done yesterday, today is rest/abs, tomorrow will be legs...

I also started running again, but I am way slower than expected....
more or less because of running too long with a heartrate above zone 3 gives me bad headaches for some days...
so.... even though this is really hard for me, I just run in Zone 3, which is like 70-80% of the max heartrate....
means, I need like 44 to 45 minutes for 6.2k...
but hey, I started with 45 in the first run and I am now at 44 in the fourth run, so it is getting better....

so this made me think of something.... I want to run 5k next year....
in our little village we have something that is called "stadtlauf" (cityrun) and I want to do the 5k...
my goal is to do them in less than 25 minutes... one year to go to get the pace from 7:20min per km to under 5min per km....
should be doable I think

I also thought about something else... those AMA about combat moves made me wanna do more combat moves...
so I will redo the Boxer Prime Program but not now, I will start in September and I will mix the days a bit,
so that there will be a more or less
Pull-Legs-Push way to go through the program...
meaning, I do regular pull days on Mondays, to the Endurance days on Wednesdays (as these are about squatting a lot) and
the strength days on Fridays, as these contain a lot of push-ups
The rest will be mixed in between...

I hope this will work out like I think

so that's all so far...
oh well, not directly.... I have gotten stronger... 2.5kg more on the bent over rows.... ;)

so that's all for today

lpf

"“I am, and always will be, the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes, and the dreamer of improbable dreams.” (Eleventh Doctor)"
about yesterday....

some stretching, but beforehand I did the 2 move abs workout.... now this one is fun...
rolling and circling and spinning around....

after this, I did some coaching stuff.... with my older one... meaning, he worked out and I corrected the movements, if necessary....
and motivated him, you know, things coaches and dads do ;)
what I really like the most about this is.... he knows what to do and how, but still asks me to watch and help :ss:

lpf

Wednesday is Leg Day

I did the B workout from the push-pull-legs series, except for the last exercises, that had to be skipped due to scheduling problems
so... 4 exercieses, lunges step ups, side lungs, calf raises and deadlift...
the first 3 were done with weighted vest added to the weight I used... 20kg water-bag for the first 2, 2 24kg kettlebells for the calf raises...
and then the show began... throw away the vest, grab the barbell and add some weight....
90kg for the deadlifts... 8-8-7-7 reps... these are a bit more reps than last time, I think...
so, more weight for the first 3, more reps for the last.... this is cool....
and then? well, you know it's been a good leg day, when your legs start getting sore some time after the workout...
meaning, I felt every muscle, when I wanted to sit down or when I wanted to stand up...

so that's it
tonight will be some abs and core work again
have a great day you lovely people

lpf

Thursday

some abs work, nothing specific, more the things I wanted to do... like sit-ups and twists, alternating in a Tabata style
after this 2 yoga workouts, Gaia and Muscle Recovery and that's all for Thursday.

Today...
I was out for a run in the morning and,,, well, even though I had to go up a little hill this time, I hadn't been slower than in the last run
I even managed to keep my heartrate in the wanted zone, even though my watch and my hr-sensor weren't communicating perfect this time, as both batteries were low...

Tonight there will be some push work coming up...

lpf

Goals

before I will post anything about my workouts, I thought, I should let you take part in what is going on in my brain/mind
so, take a seat, grab some softdrinks and some popcorn and enjoy the ride.

I've read through what @Damer said in the AMA about his training regime and workouts and his approach....
And that made my think about my training regime... It was a bit easier, when I had my regular obstacle races and stuff,
so I had something to train for
The fact I started taking part in obstacle races was, that I wanted to get fit/fitter again, so that I will be able to play and
run along with my sons for as long as possible.
Did this idea change in any way? well, yes and no.
I still want to be fit/fitter and healthy but I adjusted my goals over the years I am working out on a regular basis.
I mean, as my sons got older and started doing sports on their own (both play Handball)
at least the older one is getting better and fitter in some parts of physical fitness,
(especially running at the moment, but that's okay, and I help him getting better and fitter for his sports and
as he his doing sports as a main class (in Germany we call it Leistungskurs) in school,
also helping him to get better in his overall fitness to achieve better grades for this also)... okay, I got lost...
so, yes, the goals have changed in some parts... I still want to be fit and healthy or fitter and healthier,
but what exactly are my goals, without having something particular to train for?

so... my main goal is and will be, being able to move my body in every possible direction, meaning, being able to do push-ups,
handstand push-ups, dips, pull-ups, squats,
(bench press a car)
but also being able to move at least my weight in a deadlift (or even more, as I am already able to move my weight).
(bench press a car)
but moving around is not only something that is strength related, it also means, that I need to have the mobility and
flexibility to move around, so I also need to work on this,
(and on bench pressing a car)
maybe even more thant on the strength part... so touching my toes, doing a split, things like that come to my mind,
but also doing a perfect kettlebell windmill,
as this is mobility, flexibility and strength combined...
and also endurance is something I have to keep working on...
(and bench pressinf a car!!)

yeah, that all sounds pretty cool, but how does this effect my kind of training?
not really, as I think, I am doing already pretty good, and I also don't want to change too much, as I really enjoy what I do,
I really, really like it and have fun.
And when I think I need to change something, or work omn something in particular, then I will do it,
like my plan doing Boxer Prime again for example.

so this was a really long text just to tell you, that I won't change anything :muahaha:
I hope you enjoyed it anyway.

have a nice day my friends and enjoy your workouts!

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
"Motivation is temporary. Discipline is forever."
Film Car GIF

Good to have a goal!

lpf

Goals 2

okay, just a little addition, before we continue with the daily stuff....
there might be something that could need a little adjustment... not a real change, as I already seem to make some things right
(at least my doctor tells me so, as my blood tests are always good)
my nutrition.... I mean, due to the fact, that I am allergic to diary, I have to look an take care of what I eat, so this might help a lot...
but I also think, that there's also room for improvement.

just as an addition for the long text yesterday.
now on with the daily business

lpf

Friday - Push Day

I've done the Epic Chest workout and I was quite impressed, that I could go for 47 reps of push-ups to failure, even though I haven't done this for months...
(yeah, sure, I had days, I reached 60, but I think 47 is still quite good for not specifically training push-ups to failure)
oh by the way, I did 4 instead of 3 sets for every exercise.

Saturday - abs and yoga
pretty much, what the title says... but it was epic, as I did Epic Abs workout ;)
After this Everyday Yoga and Yoga for Runners

Sunday - cycling

I got up pretty early, to go for a tour by bike, to not have to ride when it's getting too hot
I ended up with 76km by bike and an average speed of 21km/h.
In the evening, I did some yoga again, with my older one (the younger one was not motivated)
we did some special moves for handball players (well, "special" as these are regular Yoga moves, but helpful for Handball players)

lpf

Monday - Bench Press a Car (or some parts of a car)

Push Day.... Push B Workout
I added some weight to the bench press an I am now at 55kg for 9-8-8-6 reps
The overhead press was a bit too easy, so I might add some weight next time also.
The rest was good, what I enjoyed, are the pullovers, done with my water bag... so you have to balance all the time, which engages some more muscles ;)

Today - Running

In the morging, I was out for a run, with my son... oh and I improved my pace quite a bit,
but this might have been due to already running more and due to not running alone
I think running with someone else, relaxes somehow, at least me...

lpf

just a little hello from my side, I am on vacation right now, so no updates until I am back... ;)

lpf

oh and to not leave you alone here in this little thread without anything to read....
here is a little overview of my running so far...
1689861236903.png
more details to come

lpf

earworm incoming....

And it's been awhile
Since I could pull myself up high
And it's been awhile
Since I bent over raised though
And it's been awhile
Since I could kneel on my bench and row
And it's been awhile
Since I could shrug also...

so that's what I did today.... a day to late, as Monday is my pull day, but I had some scheduling problems...

also some stuff for the abs, but I don't know how to put this in a song.... so, just doing some abwork while sining along some rock music (put in your favourite rock song here)

lpf

note to myself and to everybody who is interested....

if you are short in time, but your plan says do THIS workout, it is not a good idea to change the regime to EMOM,
meaning do each exercise with the given reps every minute on a minute without a break 20 minutes straight.

if you ever want to feel your legs wooble during the workout and afterwards climbing up the stairs and the following day,
when you want to sit down, feel free to do it like that.
everyone else: don't do it!

that's it for yesterday...

(on the other hand, it only took twenty minutes to make my legs give up, leave my body and walk.... crawl away...)

lpf

after one day of funny walking, stitting down and standing up, it was time for push-day
this time no EMOM, just the way it has to be done, with 2 minutes of rest between the sets....
still not bench pressing a car.... but I am on my way... ;)

have a nice evening, day, weekend my bees

lpf

Happy new year everybody, wherever you are.

Today it's the 2nd of January in 2024. As usual, everybody is having some new years resolutions and things like that.
If I would say, what I have been thinking about for this year, it would sound like one, but I have already thought about this stuff last year...
so...
I thought about being able to do some things fitness related on my birthday this year, as this birthday is the 1/3 of my lifespan birthday
(yeah, I want to get pretty old!)
so 50 push-ups would be cool, but that should be the easiest part...
(I am not so far away from 50 and I have done them pretty often, but an achievable goal motivates...
if it turns out, that I can do more on that day, that's fine ;))
I would also like to run 5k in under 25 minutes this year, (not exactly or not only on my birthday, but a few weeks later in a race)
which will be the harder part, as I haven't run for a long time on a regular basis, so I need to do a lot about this.
I also would like to see my abs again this year (and this is the hardest part, I think...)

so what else?
may be I manage it to write a bit more here in this thread.... and may be, I can make the posts a bit more entertaining...

what else can I say?
I measured myself, just for fun and personal reasons... there hasn't changed anything height and weight wise, so this is fine ;)

well, have a nice day.... more to come soon

lpf

so today is Wednesday and there is leg day and kicks on the menu... which is not like this on every Wednesday, just every other week...
as I switch workouts and days every other week, just to keep me comfortably confused....
you know, the confusion you need to know, that everything is alright...
this kind of confusion... so if I will ever say, that I am confused, don't think about it, this is what I have to be...

okay, long story short, today legs and kicks... I will tell you about how good I am at kicking dwarfes, when I have done the workouts...

but to keep you a bit updated, on Monday I did the PT Pyramid and well, I have done it far better back in the days....
so yeah, just going 5 steps up and then decided, that I am afraid of heights, so it would be better to go down again
(this totally makes no sense at all)
after this, I did some mobility and strechting and called it a day.

Yesterday, some running.... due to the weather just on my treadmill.... for like 10 minutes... I really need to get back to this...
I felt like sh....I need to do a lot more of this
after this, abs... abs is fun, abs is good, abs works every time... feels at least like my abs want to achieve the goal I thought about....

okay, tonight legs and kicks,,,, I will keep you updated

lpf

legs and kicks...

so, as I do kicking practice workouts, the strength training for legs is short quick and fun (like in lpf is having fun)
this means for yesterday evening: leg day express with a 20kg waterbag holding it in front of me,
like in a mixture of zercher and front squat after this turning kicks workout, followed by 6 minutes of jump rope stuff....
the turning kicks were fun... the dwarves are now more like tall dwarves, meaning,
I can kick more or less to chest height without losing balance or looking too stupid (well, at least I hope I look cool doing it :LOL:)
and after this the superhero stretching workout.

that's the leg day...
the next one will be a full strength leg day... perhaps I should tell you, how my plans look like in every week? well... not today ;)

Edit: Tonight abs for me and Handball Training for the older ones....

Last edited:

lpf

ah, it's time to do abs, you know what that means,
a bottle of water, your favorite workout clothes
and of course your playlist playing on your home stereo
so go on, indulge your abs
that's right, get into plank,
then turn around,
lift your legs up and enjoy the workout
after all, abs supreme soothes even the savage beast

(copied, pasted and rearranged from The Offspring - Time To Relax)

lpf

okay, so what is missing?

Friday.... Friday was upper body day. What did I do? You don't know?
Me neither, I think, my memories left after the workout.... it was something special, something with forces...
it had pull-ups and push-ups and abs in it.... and after 3 sets, meaning level 1 I wanted to stop, because I felt like that's enough.
but where's the fun, if you stop, when your body< tells you to stop?
So I did 2 more sets and ended up on level 2, which was by far enough... I mostly stopped, because the 10 close grip push-ups were 4, 2, 4
(with small breaks between the cluster sets to rearrange the hands and so breath but all while holding the position)

special forces done, but I am definitly not ready to join them ;)

Saturday - Fighting Fit - a lot of fun with my punching bag! Nothing more, nothing less

and yesterday? - after I had spent the whole day watching my younger one play on a handball tournament, I just did some yoga... well, 2 yoga workouts to be more precise
rewild and muse....
that's all

next up... tonight Pull day and an explanation on how my weeeks look like.... but first I need a whiteboard and some markers and things....

lpf

IMG_20240108_123452_1.jpg

okay, so here we go, as you can see on the screen, there are many different colours....
so for what are the different colours? first for my personal fun and second for me to see, what is going to be done that day.
yellow is legs,
light blue is abs and running
darker blue is upper body
green is pull
orange/red is for push
grey is for combat workouts
the rest is stretching, mobility and cycling

so what I do is:
pull-abs+running-push-abs+running-legs-combat-cycling
upper-abs+running-legs+kicks-abs+running-upper-combat-cycling

I switch every other week the order of pull and push workouts. so that I start with push in the week instead of pull. That's it.
I do it this way, as it gives me a lot of fun... (don't ask me how my brain works and this is fun for me!)

lpf

Monday is Pull-day

I did the Pull A workout, but due to being short in time, mainly because I had to start working out pretty late, I changed it a bit...
the first two exercises: bicep curls and bent over rows were done as in the description (except the reps were a bit higher, I think I can go up with the weight)
the last three were done EMOM style.... meaning 3 exercises each with 4 sets in 12 minutes....
that was all for yesterday
tonight abs and a little extra

lpf

alright, here we go...

Tuesday was abs day (like it will be today). This means, take a workout dedicated to abs and do it.
This is exactly what I did...
mmh? oh... ooohhhh. you wanna know what I did... okay.... let me see... how can I tell you...
the next workout is a workout that has a lot of letters in the title and it starts with an H....
there's a lot of holding and some moving and again some holding and some moving exercises in it...
still no clue? alright.... It was Hollow Hold what I did
and after this, I did the Combat Light workout, followed by Fighter's Stretching and that's all for Tuesday...

Wednesday is coming up next...

lpf

Wednesday
The Definition of Fun...
Yesterday was Push Day and the Push B workout was on my plan, I did it exactly like it is given and described.
So where is the fun you might ask?
Well... if you do the workout, every exercise with the same weight and you choose a weight, that you can bench/chest press 10 times..
there is the fun.
I mean, I decided to go with my Kettlebells, the 24kg....
that also means, that some of the exercises couldn't be done in full ROM, but for testing how far you can go and
where the weak points are/start, it was pretty nice

but I wouldn't advise doing it!

Last edited:

lpf

about yesterday....

so close contact express and super abs were on the list.
while I was doing the close contact express, my older son decided to use the rowing machine and rowed for like 15 minutes.
after this he joined me doing the super abs workout. when we finished this, we decided it was time for some yoga.
to shorten it: we tried to look smooth doing yoga, which didn't work out. this is, what describes it the best.
but we had fun and he will join me more often

lpf

okay, so I thought about starting a new thread calling it 30 seconds to... and I wanted to end this one and introduce the new one with a 30 seconds to mars song,
just for the rhyme and the fun... but it would be so exaggerated and pathetic, that I skipped this idea... but then it came back again and I thought it would also be some kind of funny... but then I had a little accident with my bike and now I have to take a little break... so I might or might not start a new thread or continue this one starting with some music...

so for the accident with my bike it was some kind of dumb and funny and I had a lot of luck. I was stopped by a pole, this kind of barrier things on cycle paths to stop cars from driving there... and went over my steering wheel and landed on my right knee, right hand/wrist and my head.... lucky me, I was driving really slow, like 10km/h, as I had to go over a bridge... so helmet has a dint, my head is okay, my neck is sore and my wrist is bruised... that's all...
but the doc said, I have to take a break from doing sports for a few days...

that's all for now...