New Name Suggestions

jasontodd427

None Posts: 24
Hey all,

Just curious if you all have any suggestions for a new name/identity for myself. I chose Jason Todd because I always used to be compared to him all the time and the number comes from the issue in which he died. The more I think about this name though the more I begin to hate it because while the character is cool and all I think it paints me as a broken person, which I won't lie, I probably am, it's not what I want to be known for. I want to move past my pain and start as someone new but I don't know where to begin, but I think this may be a start for me since it would get me to stop associating.

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
"“Keep an eye on the staircases. They like to change.” Percy Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."
I really like to give meaning to a symbol and use it to remind me of something.
My nickname Fremen comes both from the Dune novel series but also from the first Darebee workout that I did consistently until I fully mastered it.
Keep in mind that your nickname you can always change it one day, as you can change the class, the avatar, so don't worry it's a definitive choice, see it as a work in progress that you can always optimize :)

jasontodd427

My nickname Fremen comes both from the Dune novel series but also from the first Darebee workout that I did consistently until I fully mastered it.
Keep in mind that your nickname you can always change it one day, as you can change the class, the avatar, so don't worry it's a definitive choice, see it as a work in progress that you can always optimize :)
I like the point you brought up and Dune is pretty cool

Sólveig

Pirate from Cabudare - Venezuela
Pronouns: She/Her
"Ars longa, vita brevis"
I think naming, in general, is an art form on its own, so I can understand how it's a struggle to choose a nickname. Of course, I can be biased about this. This is something that I could put upon the Bardic Circle thread, but I like this discussion.

Personally, I am a sucker for meaningful names, especially when they have many layers upon layers from which you can deconstruct a person, or a character. Now, Sólveig was not my first choice when I joined Darebee, but I later got it changed before we switched to the new Hive. Sólveig is of old Norse origin, at it has... a bit of a complicated etymology, but one of its meanings could be "strength of the sun." The reason I chose that given name as a nickname is because through the Goddess Sunna/Sól is how I found my way into paganism a few years back, and I like the name so much that one of my D&D folk heroes in my campaign has that name. She's a vampire hunter of the early days of that universe, and her story became lost to the ages, until her descendants rediscovered it.

My real name has nothing to do with my religion, though, but I was pretty fortunate in being in a position to choose it rather than have it chosen for me. It took me quite a while, though. I won't disclose it, though, but I chose it mainly because of its meaning, and I wanted to achieve the goal of being worthy of that name. Believe it or not, fitness did help me to get closer and closer to that goal.

I hope this helps a little. Take it easy, and like it was said, it isn't a definitve decision. You can always change it to something else later on.

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
"Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today"
Tbh, I mostly choose usernames by the sound of it. Or by a theme. Some time ago I kind of narrowed it down to "velcro" because who doesn't like velcro and I like the sound of the word, in combination with parts of music genres. So, on Darebee, it's lofivelcro. There's no meaning behind it. I think if you feel like it, just go with the flow, a name doesn't necessarily have to describe you as a person, or have to be spiritual or meaningful. Nice if it isn't, no problemo if it's not.

Maladignia

Fae Posts: 8
Right! That was the workout of the day some days ago and I had to think of you(r username). Reading the description below the workout hinted at it being something from a book/game/series/movie. Now I got the full answer. 🙃

My nickname was invented by a friend with whom I did an online roleplay chat thing. It was actually the name of my black cat shapeshifter with aqua blue eyes. (yes, I was a teenager back then :happy: ) The name stuck and ended up on my no-longer-existing weblog and as a username on other platforms where I do not need my real name to be known.

@jasontodd427 I applaud you for the realisation and feeling you want to change your username, not sure if I can be of much help though.
For my hardware/software I use names connected to the weather, sometimes in a translation. My computer is named Cloud (last one was named Rain). My partner uses names from old children's TV series for his hardware. Our printer is a combination: named after a My Little Pony called Rainbowdash. :p
If you have a theme for naming certain things, this is relatively 'easy' because there's lists of almost anything on the internet nowadays. However if you are looking for a specific thing to represent you, that might be harder. I googled your current name and wikipedia writes this:
The character was resurrected in 2005's "Under the Hood" story arc, which saw him becoming a murderous antihero known as the Red Hood. Subsequent stories have shown Todd's on-and-off attempts to redeem himself and rebuild his relationship with Batman, with Red Hood eventually being accepted as a full member of the Batman family.
Perhaps that could be an inspiration? And I then mean the last line, of course. The redeem/rebuild part.

Good luck with the choice, but like others said: it's not definitive and it does not have to have meaning. :)

jasontodd427

Right! That was the workout of the day some days ago and I had to think of you(r username). Reading the description below the workout hinted at it being something from a book/game/series/movie. Now I got the full answer. 🙃

My nickname was invented by a friend with whom I did an online roleplay chat thing. It was actually the name of my black cat shapeshifter with aqua blue eyes. (yes, I was a teenager back then :happy: ) The name stuck and ended up on my no-longer-existing weblog and as a username on other platforms where I do not need my real name to be known.

@jasontodd427 I applaud you for the realisation and feeling you want to change your username, not sure if I can be of much help though.
For my hardware/software I use names connected to the weather, sometimes in a translation. My computer is named Cloud (last one was named Rain). My partner uses names from old children's TV series for his hardware. Our printer is a combination: named after a My Little Pony called Rainbowdash. :p
If you have a theme for naming certain things, this is relatively 'easy' because there's lists of almost anything on the internet nowadays. However if you are looking for a specific thing to represent you, that might be harder. I googled your current name and wikipedia writes this:

Perhaps that could be an inspiration? And I then mean the last line, of course. The redeem/rebuild part.

Good luck with the choice, but like others said: it's not definitive and it does not have to have meaning. :)
I like the things you pointed out here, he has certainly tried to redeem/rebuild himself much like I’m trying to do now, so in that sense I am very much like him along with the aspect of him struggling to do so. I think the thing that comes to bother me with it is that people compared me to him based on attitude which isn’t necessarily the best thing which is why despite it not necessarily having to have meaning it kind of does because while he does good that’s not who I want to be known as, although I suppose it could be far worse. Maybe I’ll stick with it for now but we’ll see when the time comes

Ratio Tile

Jedi from Poland
I used to have this approach, that my public username should be somehow relevant. In the past this led me even to postpone creating an account on some sites because I couldn't come up with a meaningful name :LOL:

But that was long ago, and I noticed since then that no one really cares about my or their name online. So I also started not to dwell on it too much. People may call themselves Cheddar_Cheese or HamSandwich666 (just examples, no offense if anyone here uses such names :LOL:) and that's totally fine.

But if you want to treat your online persona as your avatar in a virtual world, you may e.g. look for the traits you value, or your goals and aspirations, then find a character from classic or popular culture who exemplifies these traits and take their name. You may also modify it, mix and match, incorporate into your real name etc. If you want extra personalisation, you may rearrange letters of your real name and maybe come up with something original that will be 100% you.

But as others said, don't take it too seriously, as you can change it later to really reflect your journey.