Only Homemade 2023

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
"Striving to be the change."
Three years ago I stumbled upon the Cook 90 Challenge and decided to give it a go. I'm an excellent cook, and a significant part of my job is feeding my father, who is physically disabled. I enjoy cooking. But it's time-consuming, and time is not always a commodity I have in spades. Consequently I had fallen into some less-than-healthful habits w.r.t. eating frozen store-bought pizzas and even worse. So I committed to eating only homemade food, not only for the month of January, but for a whole year (plus a couple of weeks, since I started on January 1, but I typically run my personal challenges from birthday to birthday, which for me is January 13). My challenge went great, and I continued eating only homemade food for 2.5 years. Then I had gum surgery this summer, and my diet fell off the rails. I was so frustrated by the limitations in my post-surgery diet (which were both significantly more restrictive and stretched on for many weeks longer than what the surgeon had informed me pre-surgery to expect) that I gave up my only-homemade commitment. As a result, my diet quickly deteriorated to a place I really don't want it to be. So I'm re-committing to eating only homemade food, and I'm not waiting for my birthday to start. I'm starting tomorrow (January 1, 2023).

For any who want to join me, DAREBEE has a 30-day Challenge that fits the bill:

and also a shorter 15-day challenge for anyone not ready to commit for a full month:

(I'll be challenging myself to continue at least until my birthday on January 13, 2024, with the hope of continuing long-term.)

I do allow myself a few "cheats", primarily in the form of hot sauces and curry paste (which are time-consuming to create from scratch, which I often cannot get the raw ingredients for where I live, and which comprise only a tiny percentage of the total food that I ingest). Other things I get ready made are:
  • whole wheat tortillas (I will make my own baguettes, pancakes, pizza dough, muffins, and generally all other baked goods, including some flatbreads, but when I make a wrap I need it to hold together, and the store-bought tortillas are better for that than what I can make myself)
  • no-fat, unsweetened, plain, Greek-style yogourt (this is readily available where I live and doesn't contain any additives which would make it less-healthy than homemade yogourt, so why not?)
  • unsweetened vanilla almond & cashew nut milk fortified with vitamins, minerals, and pea protein (a staple of my baking, not something I can readily make myself, and the ingredients list is pretty great)
  • canned coconut milk (I often can and sometimes do make my own, but canned coconut milk saves a lot of time and isn't significantly different nutritionally)
  • commercially prepared oils (olive, coconut, etc.--it's not remotely realistic for me to press my own!)
  • commercially prepared nut butters (similar to the coconut milk: I could make my own, but the commercially-prepared product saves a lot of time, is likely actually less-expensive in most cases, and is nutritionally equivalent to homemade anyhow)
  • a select few commercially-prepared sauces and dressings (I make these myself as often as possible--especially salad dressings--but it's not realistic for me to try to go wholly homemade in this department)
  • cheese (a staple of my diet! I am trying to eat less cheese, but unless a zombie-apocalypse or similar disaster renders it impossible for me to get my hands on this delectable treat, I am never going to give up eating cheese entirely)
  • pre-cooked chicken (it's expensive, and yes, seasoned with salt, but it's not bad and I do need the time-saver at times)
  • nacho chips (other store-bought chips and similar snacks are off the table, but nacho chips, which I use primarily as a base for homemade food I will still allow myself--provided that I'm only using them as a base for said homemade food and not snacking on them plain or only with store-bought salsa)
  • speaking of salsa: Neal Brothers Hot-Hot-Habanero Salsa (it's expensive, and I could make my own--although I often cannot get my hands on fresh habanero peppers, which is a problem for a spice-lover like me--but the Neal Brothers product has a good health profile and it's just too good to give up)
  • dark chocolate (primarily for my own baking, although I will allow myself one square per week as a treat
There will be a few other occasional and limited breaches, but for the most part I will try to limit commercially-prepared things to what I've listed above.

Some recipe resources I'll be using:

The Polyphagous Dragon (my old recipe blog)
Rainbow's Recipes (my recipes in the Old Hive--I still need to move these over to the New Hive!)
The Cook 90 2020 Mealplan (I drastically reduced the amount of salt called for in many of these recipes, as I recall, but I got some good ideas here)
The old DAREBEE Recipes (still available thanks to the Wayback Machine)

I shall post my progress day-to-day in this thread. Other Bees are welcome to join!

Last edited:

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
January 1, 2023:

Breakfast:
2 slices whole wheat pizza w. tomato sauce, spinach, 4-year old cheddar, mozzarella, habanero jack, chicken breast, anchovies, fresh pineapple, sun-dried tomatoes, pickled hot banana peppers, shiitake mushrooms, onion, and feta
2 black bean brownies with cashew nut butter
1 slice aged Gouda

Lunch:
2 chicken quesadillas (whole wheat tortillas, olive oil, chicken, salsa, onion, sweet corn, zucchini, cheddar) with salsa & sour cream

Dinner:
kale and sweet potato with tomato, onion, gnocchi*, crushed chilis, and Italian herbs
no-fat Greek yogourt with raspberries, almonds, and cacao nibs

*bit of a cheat since I did not make the gnocchi, but I had already made this stew with it last month, and I'm not going to waste the leftovers

Last edited:

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
January 2, 2023:

Breakfast:
1 slice aged Gouda

Lunch:
banana split (banana, no-fat Greek yogourt, raspberries, blueberries, almonds, cacao nibs, coconut, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds)

Dinner:
chicken fajitas (whole wheat tortillas, olive oil, onion, red pepper, chicken, avocado, feta, Stargazer hot sauce)
baked apple with cashews, cranberries, coconut, chocolate chips, and cheddar

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
January 3, 2023:

Breakfast:
1 slice aged Gouda

Lunch:
whole wheat tortilla wrap with egg salad (hard-boiled egg, onion, Stargazer, mayo), nutritional yeast, and spinach

Dinner:
kale pasta casserole (basically a lasagna, but made with penne instead of lasagna noodles, plus this one included spinach since one of my bags of kale had gone off :(: onions, garlic, tomatoes, crushed chilis, Italian herbs, kale, spinach, cooked chicken breast, whole wheat penne, chevre, 4-year-old cheddar, habanero jack)

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
January 4, 2023:

Breakfast:
1 slice aged Gouda

Lunch:
whole wheat tortilla wrap with egg salad (hard-boiled egg, onion, Stargazer, mayo), nutritional yeast, and spinach
baked apple with cranberries, cashews, chocolate chips, coconut, and cheddar

Dinner:
veggie stew (tomato, onion, zucchini, sweet corn, herbs & spices) with parmesan
no-fat Greek yogourt with raspberries, almonds, and cacao nibs

Last edited:

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
January 5, 2023:

Breakfast:
1 slice aged Gouda

Lunch:
kale pasta casserole
banana with peanut butter

Dinner:
shrimp curry (like this except I used baby bok choy instead of snow peas) with roast potatoes and coconut-lime-cilantro rice
whole wheat shortbread with mint chocolate chips

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
January 6, 2023:

Breakfast:
quinoa with raspberries, blueberries, almonds, Silk, no-fat Greek yogourt, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and cacao nibs
1 slice aged Gouda

Lunch:
whole wheat tortilla wrap with tuna salad (tuna, onion, apple, mayo), spinach, and tomato

Dinner:
kale and sweet potato with tomato, onion, gnocchi*, crushed chilis, and Italian herbs
apple & orange egg custard tart (minus the added sugar)

* gnocchi not homemade

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
January 7, 2023:

Breakfast:
1 slice aged Gouda
whole wheat tortilla wrap with egg salad, nutritional yeast, and spinach

Lunch:
kale pasta casserole

Dinner:
quinoa with raspberries, blueberries, almonds, Silk, no-fat Greek yogourt, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and cacao nibs
avocado
Wensleydale cheese
sardines with hot peppers

Last edited:

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
January 8, 2023:

Breakfast:

Lunch:
kale pasta casserole
1 slice aged Gouda

Dinner:
nachos (whole grain tortilla chips, onions, chicken, pickled hot peppers, salsa, 4-year-old cheddar)

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
January 9, 2023:

Breakfast:
kale pasta casserole
1 slice aged Gouda

Lunch:

Dinner:
chicken fajitas
Wookey Hole cave aged cheddar

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
January 10, 2023:

Breakfast:
1 black bean brownie with cashew nut butter
Wookey Hole

Lunch:

Dinner:
turkey and mushroom egg foo young (not as good as with shrimp, but the turkey needed using up)
roots, shoots, and leaves (a stir fry of ginger, garlic, onion, carrots, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, bok choy, mung bean sprouts, crushed chilis, sesame seeds, olive oil, lower sodium soy sauce, and nuoc cham)
banana with peanut butter and chocolate chips
Wookey Hole

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
January 11, 2023:

Breakfast:

Lunch:
baked apple with cranberries, cashews, chocolate chips, coconut, and cheddar

Dinner:
chicken quesadillas (whole wheat tortillas, olive oil, chicken, salsa, onion, sweet corn, zucchini, cheddar) with salsa & sour cream
5 spice rice pudding (whole grain basmati, Silk, Chinese Five Spice) with raisins and almonds

* gnocchi not homemade

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
January 12, 2023:

Breakfast:
whole wheat tortilla wrap with tuna salad (tuna, onion, apple, mayo), tomato, and spinach
Wookey Hole

Lunch:
roots, shoots, and leaves
avocado
Wensleydale cheese

Dinner:
biryani (onion, garlic, ginger, eggplant, parsnips, red bell pepper, cashews, raisins, whole grain basmati, no-fat Greek yogourt, cumin, coriander, cayenne, olive oil, cilantro, hard-boiled egg)
baked apple with cranberries, cashews, chocolate chips, desiccated coconut, and cheddar

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
January 13, 2023:

Breakfast:
1 slice aged Gouda

Lunch:
kale pasta casserole

Snack:
Wookey Hole

Dinner:
pizza! (whole wheat crust, tomato sauce, crushed chilis, spinach, mozzarella, 3-year-old cheddar, habanero jack, oven-roasted chicken breast, shiitake mushrooms, anchovies, sun-dried tomatoes, pickled hot banana peppers, fresh pineapple, feta)

pizza1-800.jpgpizza2.jpg

chocolate raspberry cheesecake (minus the cup of sugar)

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
January 14, 2023:

Breakfast:
1 slice aged Gouda

Lunch:
five spice rice pudding with chocolate chips, almonds, and apple sauce (apples, Chinese 5 spice)

Dinner:
Wookey Hole
pizza

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
January 15, 2023:

Breakfast:
1 slice aged Gouda
2 slices pizza

Lunch:
baked apple with cranberries, almonds, chocolate chips, desiccated coconut, and cheddar

Dinner:
nachos (whole grain nacho chips, tomato, onion, chicken, pickled hot peppers, salsa, cheddar

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
January 16, 2023:

Breakfast:
five spice rice pudding with raisins, almonds, and apple sauce

Lunch:
whole wheat tortilla wrap with tuna salad, tomato, and spinach
1 slice aged Gouda

Dinner:
turkey egg foo young
baked apple with cranberries, cashews, chocolate chips, desiccated coconut, and cheddar

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
January 17, 2023:

Breakfast:
2 slices of birthday pizza

Lunch:
whole wheat tortilla wrap with tuna salad, spinach, and tomato
Wensleydale cheese
avocado

Snack:
five spice rice pudding with blueberries and almonds

Dinner:
biryani

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
January 18, 2023:

Breakfast:
black bean brownies with cashew nut butter
aged Gouda

Lunch:
whole wheat tortilla wrap with tuna salad, spinach, and tomato

Dinner:
Wensleydale cheese
avocado
maple pepper smoked salmon
spinach and apple salad with walnuts, smoked salmon, aged cheddar, and maple balsamic vinaigrette
birthday pizza

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
January 19, 2023:

Breakfast:
five spice rice pudding with blueberries, peach pulp, and almonds
aged Gouda

Lunch:
Wookey Hole

Dinner:
banana split (banana, raspberries, blueberries, almonds, no-fat Greek yogourt, cacao nibs, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds)
aged Gouda

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
January 20, 2023:

Breakfast:
Wookey Hole

Lunch:

Dinner:
turkey and mushroom egg foo young
birthday pizza

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
January 21, 2023:

Breakfast:
Wookey Hole

Lunch:
kale pasta casserole

Dinner:

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
January 22, 2023:

Breakfast:
Wookey Hole

Lunch:
avocado
pizza

Dinner:
kale pasta casserole
salad of: spinach, blueberries, feta, mushrooms, smoked salmon, and maple balsamic vinaigrette
black bean brownie with cashew nut butter
Wookey Hole

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
January 23, 2023:

Breakfast:

Lunch:
kale pasta casserole

Dinner:
biryani
Wookey Hole

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
January 24, 2023:

Breakfast:
Wookey Hole
no-fat Greek yogourt with almonds, blueberries, cacao nibs, and desiccated coconut

Lunch:
baked apple with cashews, cranberries, chocolate chips, desiccated coconut, and cheddar

Dinner:
Stilton, apple, and parsnip soup
guacamole and nacho chips
nachos with chicken, tomato, onion, pickled hot peppers, salsa, and cheddar

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
Ooph! Last night's nachos were not a good idea. I knew they were not a good idea when I was making them. And I made them anyway. And I was right: they were not a good idea. I need to stop making this dish.

Also: I'm going to start trying for at least one meal per day in which I don't eat cheese. Baby steps!

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
January 25, 2023:

Breakfast:
Wookey Hole

Lunch:

Dinner:
kale pasta casserole

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
January 26, 2023:

Breakfast:
Wookey Hole

Lunch:

Dinner:
curry (garlic, onion, ginger, Madras curry paste, carrots, bok choy, chick peas, coconut milk, mango, lime) with quinoa

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
January 29, 2023:

Breakfast:
---

Lunch:
banana cacao nib whole wheat pancakes with no-fat Greek yogourt, raspberries, blueberries, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and desiccated coconut

Dinner:
spinach and apple salad with walnuts, maple pepper smoked salmon, cheddar, and maple balsamic vinaigrette

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
January 31, 2023:

Breakfast:
---

Lunch:
whole wheat tortilla wraps with egg salad (hard-boiled eggs, onion, mayo, Stargazer hot sauce), nutritional yeast, and spinach

Dinner:
curry (garlic, onion, ginger, Madras curry paste, carrots, bok choy, chick peas, coconut milk, mango, lime) with roasted potatoes

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
February 1, 2023:

Breakfast:
---

Lunch:
banana cacao nib whole wheat pancakes with no-fat Greek yogourt, raspberries, blueberries, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and desiccated coconut

Dinner:
whole wheat tortilla wraps with egg salad (hard-boiled eggs, onion, mayo, Stargazer hot sauce), nutritional yeast, and spinach
salad of tomato, avocado, cucumber, mushroom, and hemp hearts with balsamic vinaigrette

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
February 2, 2023:

11AM:

7PM:
lemon pepper sole (not homemade)
roast potatoes with curry spice and sriracha mayo
salad of tomato, avocado, cucumber, mushroom, and hemp hearts with balsamic vinaigrette

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
February 3, 2023:

2PM:
whole wheat tortilla wrap with egg salad (hard-boiled eggs, onion, mayo, Stargazer hot sauce), nutritional yeast, and spinach

7PM:
chicken quesadillas (onion, zucchini, sweet corn, chicken, Neal Brother's Hot Hot Habanero Salsa, cheddar, whole wheat tortillas, olive oil, sour cream)

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
February 4, 2023:

1PM:
whole wheat tortilla wrap with egg salad (hard-boiled eggs, onion, mayo, Stargazer hot sauce), nutritional yeast, and spinach

8PM:
quinoa with raspberries, blueberries, almonds, Silk, no-fat Greek yogourt, cacao nibs, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds
banana with peanut butter

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
February 5, 2023:

10AM:

2PM:

7PM:
curry (garlic, onion, ginger, Madras curry paste, carrots, bok choy, chick peas, coconut milk, mango, lime) with roasted potatoes

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
February 6, 2023:

10AM:

1PM:

7PM:
chicken fajitas

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
February 7, 2023:

10AM:
black bean brownie with cashew nut butter
Wookey Hole

7:30 PM:
curry (garlic, onion, ginger, Madras curry paste, carrots, bok choy, chick peas, coconut milk, mango, lime) with quinoa
no-fat Greek yogourt with raspberries, blueberries, almonds, and cacao nibs

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
February 8, 2023:

11AM:

7PM:
chicken fajitas

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
February 9, 2023:

1PM:

7PM:
chicken quesadillas

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
February 10, 2023:

12PM:
whole wheat carrot pineapple muffins

7PM:
loaded scrambled eggs (eggs, onion, tomato, cremini mushsrooms, feta, cayenne, turmeric, cumin) with curry roasted potatoes (potato, cayenne, curry powder, olive oil) and sriracha mayo
baked apple with cranberries, cashews, cacao nibs, desiccated coconut, and cheddar
Wookey Hole

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
February 11, 2023:

9AM:
whole wheat carrot pineapple muffins

1PM:
whole wheat cacao nib banana pancakes with no-fat Greek yogourt, raspberries, blueberries, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and desiccated coconut

8:30 PM:
Wookey Hole

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
February 12, 2023:

10:30 AM:
whole wheat cacao nib banana pancakes with no-fat Greek yogourt, raspberries, blueberries, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and desiccated coconut

6PM:
Wookey Hole

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
February 13, 2023:

9AM:

NOON:

5:30 PM:

7PM:
chicken quesadillas (onion, zucchini, sweet corn, chicken, Neal Brother's Hot Hot Habanero Salsa, cheddar, whole wheat tortillas, olive oil, sour cream)

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
February 14, 2023:

9AM:

1:30 PM:
Wookey Hole

7PM:
loaded scrambled eggs (eggs, onion, tomato, cremini mushsrooms, feta, cayenne, turmeric, cumin) with curry roasted sweet potato (sweet potato, cayenne, curry powder, olive oil) and sriracha mayo
oatmeal apple spice muffins (from old batter I had in my freezer, so a bit of a guess, but I think: oats, apple, 5-spice apple sauce, Silk, cinnamon, nutmeg)

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
February 15, 2023:

7:30 AM:
Wookey Hole

NOON:

6PM:
oatmeal apple spice muffins

9:30 PM:
sweet potato fries (sweet potato, cayenne, curry powder, olive oil) and sriracha mayo

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
February 16, 2023:

1PM:

7:30 PM:
avocado
Wensleydale
broiled banana with peanut butter and chocolate

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
February 17, 2023:

10:30 AM:

4:30 PM:
aged Gouda

10PM:
cauliflower and lentil curry (cauliflower, red lentils, tomatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, ginger, turmeric, cayenne)