Overweight, where do i start?

gemsnoob

Hello guys, my name is darma, im from indonesia i am 26 y.o i never do exercise in my life except school p.e
I weight 120kg and height around 175 and gym is expensive for me (300$ monthly wage, 50-75$ monthly gym membership,
Where do i start?? As of today i start exercising foundation light, and is there any guide about what food i should avoid?

Redline

DAREBEE Team
DAREBEE Team
Ninja from Marseille, France
Hello @gemsnoob , and welcome to the community!

Patience and a step-by-step approach are key. You will lose weight if you burn more calories than what you take in. But right now, just try to make training (and moving around in general) a regular habit.

Avoiding sugary foods is also a good way to reduce calories, but that doesn't mean you have to feel like you're punishing yourself. Try to find other low-calorie foods you enjoy and you can have when you feel hungry without actually overeating (most green vegetables are healthy choices).

Try to enjoy the journey, to build healthier habits gradually, and change will come, little by little.
Best of luck!

gemsnoob

Y
Hello @gemsnoob , and welcome to the community!

Patience and a step-by-step approach are key. You will lose weight if you burn more calories than what you take in. But right now, just try to make training (and moving around in general) a regular habit.

Avoiding sugary foods is also a good way to reduce calories, but that doesn't mean you have to feel like you're punishing yourself. Try to find other low-calorie foods you enjoy and you can have when you feel hungry without actually overeating (most green vegetables are healthy choices).

Try to enjoy the journey, to build healthier habits gradually, and change will come, little by little.
Best of luck!
Ok sir, thanks for the advice, today i chip away some of my meal portion, and i change my snack from chips and cake/ice cream to banana

Kanary

Amazon Pronouns: she/her
"For the Light! For Victory! For Cake!"
What I found most effective was to pick just one change at a time and work on that until it was just part of how I did things:
  • Eat fruit and yogurt for breakfast instead of whatever else I would have eaten
  • Have a big salad for lunch
  • Skip the sweets or chips
  • Pre-prep some healthier snacks that I enjoy
  • Have an extra serving of veggies instead of rice or pasta with dinner
That's my short list but it won't suit everyone's needs. But I didn't do it all at once and I still don't get caught up in it if I make a different decision for a day. Remember that you didn't gain weight all in one day; losing it will take a while and is more about changing habits than about applying a quick fix.

gemsnoob

@gemsnoob
What do you do for work ? I'm retired but my last job was a labourer working for a builder, actually got paid to workout. I use to prep all my food for the day and it was a lot but I also went 100% Plant Base (Vegan). No junk just natural food, my foreman would watch me eat and what I was eating, he always drank pop and fast food he was quite fat.

I retired and one day visited the main office, the receptionist told me that Jason had lost a lot of weight, a lot and that he was actually coming to the office. Holy smokes, his weight loss was incredible. He went on to say that I had inspired him and he started to eat like I was, also exercised everyday and did intermittent fasting. No pop had switched to sparkling water.

Maybe try a 30 day Plant Base (Vegan) challenge, usually will get you into eating healthy and Vegans can eat a lot.

Thanks for the suggestion, i will try it, i think all vegan is to much for now but i will reduce my meat , chips and sweet and transitiok to vegan slowly thanks!

gemsnoob

What I found most effective was to pick just one change at a time and work on that until it was just part of how I did things:
  • Eat fruit and yogurt for breakfast instead of whatever else I would have eaten
  • Have a big salad for lunch
  • Skip the sweets or chips
  • Pre-prep some healthier snacks that I enjoy
  • Have an extra serving of veggies instead of rice or pasta with dinner
That's my short list but it won't suit everyone's needs. But I didn't do it all at once and I still don't get caught up in it if I make a different decision for a day. Remember that you didn't gain weight all in one day; losing it will take a while and is more about changing habits than about applying a quick fix.
I will try to eat fruit only for my breakfast
I will try everything

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
"Motivation is temporary. Discipline is forever."
I will try to eat fruit only for my breakfast
I will try everything
Don't try everything - that's too much change at once and you'll likely not maintain it. Pick one. Stick with it. If, after a while, you've successfully incorporated it into your life, add another. Little by little.

Hekewika

Mercenary from North America
Pronouns: It/Its
"INPRG"
@gemsnoob have you checked out the challenges section of this website? you can filter them by degree of difficulty. most of them are physical, but there are some other challenges that feature nutrition.

Last edited:

Roby

First of all start with yoga exercises and gain some mobility... meanwhile you can think on your meals but before that you need to know exactly what you'll take out from your daily basis so you don't get sick... If you keep your diet over 2 3 months you'll feel some changes and after that you can start cutting small amounts or things from your daily food routine. Until then be strong and try to finish what you are proposing. Take the challenge with 30 days yoga session... Good luck!!

gemsnoob

Try apple instead of banana. Apples will release your stomach easier when banana will help you gain more weight. Fruits are good but depending on your "needs".
welp, just know it today, so i should avoid banana too...
Im doing 5th day foundation light today, skipped 1 day because work and by the end of work, im to tired and just sleep

dedethrone

Hello guys, my name is darma, im from indonesia i am 26 y.o i never do exercise in my life except school p.e
I weight 120kg and height around 175 and gym is expensive for me (300$ monthly wage, 50-75$ monthly gym membership,
Where do i start?? As of today i start exercising foundation light, and is there any guide about what food i should avoid?
Hey Darma,
All you have to do for weight loss is make a few lifestyle changes, basically as someone else wrote move more and eat less.
I'll give you some tips that helped me cut down my weight from 95 kg to 75kg.

• Drink sufficient amount of water (as this will make you feel full and eat less portion of food)
• Try to reduce sugar intake (processed sugar is extremely unhealthy for our body)
• Try to include more Protein and fiber in your meals( Chicken, Egg, Fish, Soy Chunks are all good sources of protein, oats and fruits can help you with the fiber intake.)
• As an Asian myself I understand that Rice is an important part of our life, and we take too much of it, try to cut down the amount of rice you consume daily.
• Eating fruits or veggies a few hours before taking your Heavy meals may also help you to eat less food.
• Try taking your dinner atleast 3 hours before you sleep.
• Make exercise a part of your life.(Even a 5 minute walk everyday will be a good start to your fitness journey)
Dont starve to reduce weight as this will lead to other health issues.
• Dont make drastic changes to your life for weight loss as you will end up losing your confidence to reduce weight.
• Try not to skip any meal as you will end up overeating the next meal.
!!Most importantly try to get 7-8 hours of sound sleep.!!

:)Hope this Helps.