Progress over perfection

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
Pronouns: She/her
Thank you! @Fremen @JCU @TopNotch! And yeah, definitely will in time make me stronger! I just hoped that my rep count would increase. Can't really seem to get past 20-30 total.

April plans
New month - new set of challenges/programs to tackle. I will be following the Push, Pull, Legs workout plan, starting from day 6. Adding in Zero Hero for a bit of a lower intensity rest day.

In all ideal scenario's the plan should look a little bit like this, but if those past few months have told me anything, it probably won't entirely be this way.

MondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturdaySunday
  • Push day
  • Taekwondo training
  • Zero Hero
  • 50 push-up challenge
  • Leg Day Everyday challenge
  • YWA: April calendar
  • Run (if taekwondo training on wednesday)
  • Zero Hero
  • 50 push-up challenge
  • Flexibility training
  • Pull day
  • Taekwondo Training
  • Run (if no taekwondo training)
  • Zero Hero
  • 50 push-up challenge
  • Ab day
  • Zero Hero
  • 50 push-up challenge
  • Leg day
  • Run
  • Zero Hero
  • 50 push-up challenge
  • Flexibility training
  • Zero Hero
  • 50 push-up challenge
  • Taekwondo training
  • Recovery run
  • Zero Hero
  • 50 push-up challenge

April 1: Rest
:v: Zero Hero, day 1 level 3
:v: YWA: Root to Rise morning practice
:v:
50 push-up challenge, day 1
:v: Leg Day Everyday challenge day 1 (gambling went in my favor! Only 20 seconds of lunges for me)
Still have to do my flexibility routine, some time after dinner.

Current workout streak: 288

Last edited:

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
Thank you! @CODawn, @TheLibrarian, @daejamurrachan @Anek @PetiteSheWolf!

April 2: Rest + Taekwondo
:v: Taekwondo training
:v:/:x: Recovery run
:x: Zero Hero, day 2
:v: 50 push-up challenge (okay, I didn't actually do this one, but we did a set of ten push-ups in taekwondo training, so I feel like that can count for 6, 2, 2 push ups)
:v: Leg Day Everyday challenge, day 2
:x: YWA: April calender

April 3: Pull day
:v: Push Pull Legs - Push, day A - 8 kg.
:x: Taekwondo training
:v: Zero Hero, day 2, level 2
:v: Zero Hero, day 3, level 2
:v: 50 push-up challenge day 2
:v: 50 push-up challenge day 3
:v: Leg Day Everyday challenge, day 3
:v: Poomsae + Naeryo practice
:v: YWA: Quick Restore | Gentle Yoga Practice [April calendar]

Recovery run was on the short side - basically just ran the five minutes run back home. Not enough to really count, probably, but I had a busy afternoon, and not that much time afterwards.

Taekwondo training was great. Got some good tips on my poomsae, like making my motions a lot bigger and correcting some positions. .

Current workout streak: 290

Last edited:

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
April 4: Running day
:v: Zombies Run 5K trainer, W4D1

:v: Zero Hero, day 4, level 2
:v: 50 push-up challenge day 4
:v: Leg Day Everyday challenge, day 4
:x: Yoga
:v: Poomsae practice

April 5: Pull day
:v: PPL: Pull B, @ 8 kg
:x: Taekwondo training
:v: Zero Hero, day 5, level 2
:v: 50 push-up challenge day 5
:v: Leg Day Everyday challenge, day 5
:x: Yoga

April 6: Ab day
:v: Because Abs Workout
:v: Zero Hero, day 6, level 2
:v: 50 push-up challenge day 6
:v: Leg Day Everyday challenge, day 6
:v: YWA || Yoga for a Rainy Day

Getting in all my workouts early today - going to dinner & the DnD movie with friends later today, so won't have much time later.
Kind of stoked about my run on Tuesday. I knew there was a long run incoming, but I hadn't checked beforehand exactly how long it was. 15 minutes. And only the final 3 minutes of that run were difficult! 2.1 km, at a pace of 7'09"/km. Not focusing on speed at the moment - just on endurance and getting to run everything. And that 15 minute run really surprised me, especially with how hard the previous run was. Figure, once I'll actually get to 5K and buy myself a more running focused watch, then I can start properly training pace.

Current workout streak: 293

Gandhalfit

Druid from TLV
Pronouns: You there
"Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being... it is up to all of us to become his moral superior. Vetinari/Pratchett"
Belated Congratulations on your run, Unbound and challenges 👏 :D

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
Thank you, @Tileenah @JCU @Gandhalfit!

April 7
:x: Leg workout
:x: Run
:x: Zero Hero, day 7
:v: 50 push-up challenge day 7
:v: Leg Day Everyday challenge, day 7
:x: yoga

April 8
:v: Zero Hero, day 7 (2x60 high knees, 20 seconds rest)

Plans: (stretched out in tiny tidbits over the day)
- Stretching
- Zero Hero, day 7 + 8
- 50 push-up challenge day 8
- Leg Day Everyday challenge, day 8
- yoga
- Poomsae practice

I'm getting really tired of these constant colds. Really stuck in my chest this time, heart rate is constantly super high, and i've been coughing most of the day and night. Still feel the muscle soreness from coughing though. We'll see how things go, don't anticipate any more running until I get ahead of this again.

Gonna be looking into some more vitamins to boost my immune system, see if maybe I could do anything to prevent this further, and speed up my recovery. I just want a month off. A month of no colds.

:crawl:

Current workout streak: 294

Gandhalfit

Druid from TLV
"Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being... it is up to all of us to become his moral superior. Vetinari/Pratchett"
I used to have repeated colds but I found out it was a combination of rapid heat (outside) cold (air-conditioning) changes and protein products I used to take.
Maybe you should exercise a bit less and eat more fruit rather than take vitamins? The body doesn't absorb them as well as natural vitamins.

Tileenah

Warrior from France
Beware of vitamin supplements... They are not your friend if not needed (that is if you're not in deficit, found out through a blood sample). Too much of a vitamin can make your body stop some protective mechanisms because it thinks "okay there's plenty of this so I'll stop the production of that for a while"...
I agree with Gandalfhit here, stick to eating enough veggies and fruit, and also try to sleep well and exercise regularly and you'll be in your best shape.
Colds are often viruses so you can do what was counseled for covid if you don't want to get them... Facemasks, social distantiation, sneezing in your elbows and hand washing...
:vibes:I hope you get better real soon, it really is a pain to be sick all the time

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the advice & well wishes!

Re: the vitamins, thank you for bringing that to my attenion, @Gandhalfit @Tileenah & @PetiteSheWolf! I'll steer clear of those for now and just try to incorporate more fruit & vegetables. Give myself a little more rest.

@Tileenah For avoidance, I have been trying to. I don't go outside beyond taekwondo training & runs (and the occasional DnD meeting). I think it's more my friend I do taekwondo with & parents who seem to be bringing stuff in from work, which tends to affect me a lot more than them. Have definitely been doing the washing hands religiously and sneezing only in tissues/in my elbows. Maybe I should be putting a little more effort into that though.

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
Oh, no, sorry! @Tileenah. Just wanted to say I have been taking care of that a bit, that I haven't been very reckless or something! Didn't take offence or anything, sorry if it came across that way!

APRIL 9 + 10
Rest. Did some stretching & Leg Day Everyday, but let myself rest. Feeling loads better at the moment. Te

Current workout streak: 296

Tileenah

Warrior from France
Oh, no, sorry! @Tileenah. Just wanted to say I have been taking care of that a bit, that I haven't been very reckless or something! Didn't take offence or anything, sorry if it came across that way!
Not at all, I just wanted to specify things, because I didn't want any misunderstanding of my earlier message... 😅 Sometimes I read back what I wrote and think "oh you wanted to say this, but what if they think you meant that instead" (as it's harder for me to evaluate impact in writing and in english...)
It's all very well if you received the message in the informative/non-judgemental way I intended 😉 I just got overanxious over my previous post, that's all 😂

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
APRIL 11
:v: Zero Hero, day 8, level 2
:v: Leg Day Everyday, day 11 (1m20 sec lunges, gambled and lost)
:v: 50 push-up challenge, day 8

APRIL 12: Pull
:v: Zero Hero, day 9, level 1
:v: Leg Day Everyday, day 12
:v: 50 push-up challenge, day 9
:v: PPL: Pull, day A. 3 sets @ 10 kg, but low rep count

APRIL 13: Ab
:v: Zero Hero, day 10, level 2
:v: Leg Day Everyday, day 13 (1 minute)
:v: 50 push-up challenge, day 9 (accidentally repeated the day)
:v: 50 push-up challenge, day 10
:v: Selkie, lvl 1
:v: One Minute Plank

Slowly getting back into it. I really had to stop myself from pushing as many days of Zero Hero etc I could in there, so I could catch up. But why. It doesn't have to end perfectly at the end of the month. I am silently in love with Zero Hero's story though. It's just so silly.

Starting up running again on Sunday, with my recovery run.

Current workout streak: 299

Gandhalfit

Druid from TLV
Good luck with zero 2 hero. It doesn't have to end exactly at the end of month. I finished most of my programs in some delay.
Now I'm interested in the story 🤔

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
@Gandhalfit Thank you! Even if you're not interested in doing the program at the moment, I would honestly really recommend just reading through a few of the days! It's almost like a high paced apocalyptic film with aliens, except if the film was 0% intended to be realistic/serious, and everything that possibly can go wrong goes wrong. Its amazing.

APRIL 14: Leg day
:v: Zero Hero, day 11, level 2 [1 minute intervals, 20 sec rest in between)
:v: Leg Day Everyday, day 14
:v: 50 push-up challenge, day 11 [I struggle so much with those push-up planks]
:v: Stronger legs, level 1
:v: Poomsae practice [Running through pretty much all of the ones I know]

Hanging out with some friends over the weekend, so don't know how much I'll have time for tomorrow. Fit all in in one workout.
Focussing on some technical things for leg day today, because there are a few things I tend to do wrong in kicks. So for the whole of stronger legs, I focused on getting my core as straight as possible without leaning forward/to the side too much, or 'ducking' my shoulders down to get higher and rounding my back to get more motion towards the front. Requires a lot of focus, but is always interesting.

Current workout streak: 300

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
Thank you so much, @HellYeah @TortoiseVibe @Tileenah @Gandhalfit @TopNotch @JCU @roman @daejamurrachan @Whirly @CODawn @Mianevem!

:thanku:

APRIL 15: Rest
:v: Leg Day Everyday, day 15
:v: 2-ish km morning walk with a friend. Fitbit didn't record so I kind of had to guess

APRIL 16: Rest + Taekwondo
:v: Leg Day Everyday, day 16
:v: Taekwondo training
:v: Recovery run, ish(?)
:x: Zero Hero, day 12
:x: 50 push-up challenge, day 12

Weekend has been a bit busy - the entiry of Saturday ended up being gaming session, so didn't have much time to work other workouts in, beyond a morning walk with his dog before the rest of the group was awake.

Really meant to do a lot more on the 16th - bit of a catch up day. I was so looking forward to a lot of things. Taekwondo class again, finally getting that run back in... It was supposed to be a good day. Taekwondo class was absolutely great - some sparring kick practice which was clicking with my brain, but enough of a challenge to take a few tries to get the movement which is my favorite kind of practice. And then my partner landed a move wrong.

He landed on my foot, and then moved away which somehow really pushed my toes together. Result? Two toes that have slightly torn open where they are attached to the foot. The skin on the entire side of my middle toe is hanging loose apart from like an inch and may fall off, may reattach to the wound. Best guess is my (fully short & clipped, not long at all) nails sliced it off. Bled so much that it bled through the band-aid, K-tape (to put pressure on it), and the tissue I'd wrapped around it.

Can't put pressure on it without hurting it, so for now no push ups or anything. I tried running on it yesterday and I lasted about two minutes before I realized no way that was gonna work. It's bandaged up a little bit better now I'm home and have the proper supplies. Less bulky.

So I may be able to run on it? We'll see after today (monday)'s taekwondo class. It'll be a self-defense focussed training, which honestly I have zero interest in at the moment, but we'll already be missing so many classes once my friend goes on vacation that I cannot skip. We are able to attend so little lately because of him that I don't know if I want to continue training like this, if the money I pay for it per 6-months, is worth only being able to come to training for mainly 1/3rd of the classes. It leaves me with no chance to cancel without that meaning that we will miss another week (sometimes more) of training. But for me that doesn't work, because I do lose a lot of the confidence by not going regularly. Let alone how guilty I feel if I say I can't.

Current workout streak: 302

Last edited:

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
"Motivation is temporary. Discipline is forever."
:vibes:healing for your toe.
Do you absolutely have to bring your own partner (as it were)? Can't you just rock up and train? I know it's a major problem training without a regular partner, and it often happened to me at my previous club.

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
:vibes:healing for your toe.
Do you absolutely have to bring your own partner (as it were)? Can't you just rock up and train? I know it's a major problem training without a regular partner, and it often happened to me at my previous club.
In theory I absolutely could go train on my own. The issue is that without him, because I don't have my license yet I can't physically get to training. I could ask my father to drive there, but the drive there is 45 minutes from home (I usually go by train for part of it), so either dad would have to sit there for an hour and a half waiting, or be home for like, five minutes and have to drive back to pick me up. Train and bus also aren't really an option, I could get there but because there are no busses back that late I would be unable to make it back.