Pulling muscle in neck while drying hair?

eXodus

The last year I have been pulling or twisting a muscle in my neck (right side) that does down my mid back. Happens drying hair off typically and takes like 1-2 weeks to go away. Is super painful and makes you not able to turn your head/look up, etc.

I do stretches in the morning but I was curious, could focusing on building my upper body muscles (neck, shoulders, etc.) help to make this issue a thing of the past or at least less frequent?

Curious if anyone has experienced this and what their thoughts were.

Solution
@eXodus I am sorry you're experiencing that. It is a fairly common condition called occipital neuralgia. It is the result of neck stiffness and/or trapped or pinched nerves. Usually it takes a week or two to work itself out but you can hasten the process by having a really hot shower to super-heat the back of the neck and shoulders, applying local heat treatment or having a really hot sauna all of which simply help tight muscles relax and release the pressure on the pinched nerve. We have a series of Neck Workouts that might be of help here. By doing them not only it may help relieve the pressure on the pinched nerve sooner but also it will help make sure it doesn't occur with the frequency you are experiencing it. I hope...

Tileenah

Warrior from France
Building strength will definitely help you with this issue. The muscle in question seems to be the trapeze from what you describe, and progressively working on global shoulder strength and mobility will help. It's the basics of physiotherapy 😉

Damer

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Warrior Monk from Terra
Pronouns: He/Him
@eXodus I am sorry you're experiencing that. It is a fairly common condition called occipital neuralgia. It is the result of neck stiffness and/or trapped or pinched nerves. Usually it takes a week or two to work itself out but you can hasten the process by having a really hot shower to super-heat the back of the neck and shoulders, applying local heat treatment or having a really hot sauna all of which simply help tight muscles relax and release the pressure on the pinched nerve. We have a series of Neck Workouts that might be of help here. By doing them not only it may help relieve the pressure on the pinched nerve sooner but also it will help make sure it doesn't occur with the frequency you are experiencing it. I hope all this helps a little and do keep us posted on how you're doing with this as it will most probably help others who come across this thread.

Solution