Swashbuckling Under Neon Lights in a Grimdark Futuristic City with Tons of D20s

Sólveig

Pirate from Cabudare - Venezuela
Pronouns: She/Her
"Ars longa, vita brevis"
Quiet day, both at work and outside of work. The students were a bit desperate, and almost turned me into J. K. Simmons in Whiplash, which is something I'm more prone to go for if I'm doing creative writing. There is a lot of impatience...

Not much to say, I'm afraid. Just a quiet day. A bit of rain too... A good day to relax after what's been a stressful week.

November 11th, 2022
Kickboxing: Day 92

Morning Routine:
:v: The Right Side + 10 Decline Push-ups
:v: Sól Salutation - LVL I +EC
:v: Daily Dare: 3 Minutes Raised Arms Circles +EC
Count: 928 - 924 +EC

Night Routine:
:v: Mani Salutation - 1 Set
:v: Five Rites
:v: Virasana Meditation
:v: Daily Gratitude
:v: Counting Victories
:x: Get to Bed on Time

Programs:
On hold

Workouts:
:v: 100 Burpees +EC
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
:x: Daily Walk
:v: Shuffle Dance! (#1, #2, #3)
:x: Hamstring Stretch (3 x 30 Seconds Forward Stretch + 30 Seconds Rest)

Challenges:
:v: Power Punch:
Day 11
:x: Get to Bed on Time: Day 8

Writing progress:
:x: Nifty 350
:x: Furious 500
:x: Nightcap 200

Reading progress:
:x: Ringworld - 5%
:x: The Colour of Magic

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Music language basics, attributes of the sound... more guitar...

Others:
No sleight of hand, cardistry, or card magic
No math
No Python

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
Rest day... a much needed one. I slept through the entire day, honestly. The only productive thing I did was homebrewing a couple of things to my campaign, before I realized I could just create an entire whole race to modify a bunch of NPCs into undead beings instead of creating an entire hierarchy of them. So, apart from a couple of bad guys and one annoying monster that's probably going to make anyone tear up their character sheets on how annoying it can be one of them in a fight (and I plan to have two spawning almost whenever one of them dies), I fixed up a problem that I had on my campaign since day one: how do I make the undead enemies more like Skyrim's Draugr? Months later, I made a template to turn NPCs into them.

I'm shouldn't be so hard on me because of this. I started playing this year anyway, and I'm getting better. There's not much talking on the table, probably because three of us are introverts, and only one player is an extrovert, so we do spend more time in combat. Roleplaying is not off the table, though; there were some situations that led to many memorable moments. Seriously, I went into this with the mindset of making something grimdark with bits of swashbuckling, like HeXen with a few pirates here and there, but since Session 1, everything shifted into Fable with Discworld. And the absurdity is what I love the most from this campaign.

Two players already told me they don't know if they can make it this week, so I might have to cancel out D&D with the group. I may play solo, but the remaining player and I want to burn off a few quests together. The Loyalty Missions that have been available for quite a while.

Burpees were done, and I almost skipped them.

November 12th, 2022

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 60 Seconds Supergirl Stretch Hold +EC
Count: 929 - 925 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
On hold

Workouts:
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
:v: WoD: Tendons & Core +EC
:x: Shuffle Dance! (#1, #2, #3)

Challenges:
Day 12

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Nope

Others:
No math
No Python

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
Table of two. We managed to play D&D, but me and one party member through Discord. The other two couldn't make it, so we couldn't gather today. It was still an entire afternoon busy with one quest, plenty of roleplay, and setting up a key plot point revolving our Druid multiclassing into a Warlock a few sessions back. Now two out of three PCs are aware of this.

Other than that, not much today. I was going to do Burpees, but had to cancel all out of the sudden. I ended up doing nothing today.

I don't know what to do for classes this week. I'll see what can I do tomorrow. I can't grade the because I started at the beginning of the month, and the period ends in two weeks. But I need to plan out things, and I can always work up a plan the day before.

November 13th, 2022

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 40 Plank Knee-to-elbows +EC
Count: 930 - 926 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
On hold

Workouts:
:x: 100 Burpees +EC

Challenges:
Day 13

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Nope

Others:
No math
No Python

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
Anxiety about going to work tomorrow, even though I shouldn't have. I'm starting to feel like I regret this decision, but I can't say if that's how I really feel, or if that's the anxiety speaking for me. I mean, I need the money, and I'm not getting paid until next month... in theory, because that's up to the Ministry and whether they want to pay me or not. I don't know whether I should quit the moment I don't see any money coming into my account, or wait until the second period is over, which should be around... March or April, whenever Easter is next year. I can't support myself on nothing, let alone my family and my way out of here... And I don't want to start a big drama about it; like getting more people fighting for me, having attorneys involved, the syndicate involved... Is not worth it. If someone from school has been working an unpaid position for 10 months with promises that they will be paid, what waits for me that I'm new to the Ministry? I'd rather quit and invest my time in doing a different job. It might not be what I studied for, but at least I'm getting paid.

And then there's to people close to me that are sick... The problem is not them getting sick. The problem is that certain family member gets extra annoying when one of them is sick, and therefore is making me sick too. I'm having a headache just thinking about it, that unnecessary worry when they will be fine. They always recover, and it's nothing serious. But I'm taking mom to the doctor tomorrow if she doesn't feel well, and skip all classes if I must. I am justified, as her daughter.

I'm not sure about this week again. I mean, I was going to write some, to play with words and have fun, but the mood is dead. At least I worked out... I also organized everything. It's all packed up into one major universe, and decided to leave the low fantasy stuff out on their own, since it's the real world. Same with anything that's not fantasy or sci-fi.

November 14th, 2022
Kickboxing: Day 93

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 40 Plank Hold Arm Raises +EC
Count: 931 - 927 +EC

Night Routine:
:v: Get to Bed on Time

Programs:
On hold

Workouts:
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
:v: WoD: Upperbody - LVL III +Megaset +Full Push-ups
:v: Monday +EC
:v: Monkey Queen - LVL III +EC
:v: Standing Abs +EC
:v: Daily Walk

Challenges:
Day 14
:v: Get to Bed on Time: Day 8

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Nope

Others:
No math
No Python

OJJJEM

Mother of Dragons Posts: 583
You are an amazing person and worth more than your weight in gold! If you truly do find yourself quitting, I advise you to start looking for another job before quitting this one if possible. It would be sad for you to quit, in my opinion, because I know that you are a light for those kids, but it's a totally understandable decision. I'll pray that you will have the gift of discernment concerning this situation.

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
@OJJJEM I get it. There is another music teacher at this school, but she is focused only in making a choir with students from the 7th grade and the 7th grade only; she's doing her own thing. Judging by what some students from that grade I attended this morning, she is more of a musician rather than a teacher. I actually joked about it when someone in a later class pronounced Bach as in "Batch" to let them know that teachers such as Fletcher (Whiplash) are way more common than they think.

And I'm aware that I'm a light for those kids. The fact that the most interested in my class are the ones that other teachers have problems with tells me a lot about the situation not only at school, but in their homes too. However, the school itself backstabbed me this week. The first term is almost over, and since I came in late, I don't have to evaluate the first term. I don't have an issue with it. I have an issue with the fact that some of my students (if not all) are aware of that fact, and today, around 12 of my second class didn't attend, or came and got out. I already told the others, whom were worried sick about their classmates, that they shouldn't care anyone's grades but their own, and that this classes should be taken seriously because what I'm explaining is not something I'll go over again on the second term. They are old enough to start taking responsabilities of their own.

What should have been a reprimand ended up as a motivational speech, somehow. I ended up empowering them, even though my intention was to tell them that this is not a joke.

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
Yeah, I didn't like today. Powercut in the evening, the morning was... ugh. I didn't even want to work in the first place, and I think I know why (as said in the previous post). The fun part is that I'm having all my seventh grade classes moved because the Ministry is testing something up everywhere, and this school was selected, so that's fun.

I didn't work out today. I forgot to do the Power Punch challenge because of the powercut. I was going to write, and I ended up doing nothing, also thanks to the powercut.

At least one of the two people that got sick is feeling better.

I can't say I'm looking forward to tomorrow, though. It was a day in which I couldn't adult. And I'm not sure if I can tomorrow. But on Thursday, though... I definitely can. I still have some words with that class after what happened last week.

November 15th, 2022

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 2 Minutes Boat Fold Hold +EC
Count: 932 - 928 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
On hold

Workouts:

Challenges:
:x: Power Punch:
Day 15
:v: Get to Bed on Time: Day 9

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
More music language basics, including the parts of a musical figure, and some cuatro patterns

Others:
No math
No Python

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
There's been a fun change in the curriculum. This was a decision taken by the Ministry, and our school is the one chosen to try it out. Now, that's something I was aware about it since the first day on the job... but I didn't think it would affect me. Turns out it does.

I thought there was no way to kill musical education, but I guess the Ministry found a way to do it! I am an artist, not a scientist or an engineer. Can anyone explain me how does an artist teach physics of the sounds to 12-13 year olds that are not expecting a bunch of physics on a music class? I have no idea about what to teach beyond expanding the qualities of the sound! Out of the 26 years I've been studying music, none of that prepared me for this! I feel like a fish out of the water. How am I supposed to solve this and present a project by the end of December? Not to mention, the Ministry will be breathing on our backs all the time...

I'm torn. On one hand, I got a more comfortable schedule. Sure, I don't have Mondays off anymore, but I get off earlier from work the majority of the days, which is a boon because everyone is so tired near the end of day. I dismissed a class today way earlier than I should have because the students were visibly very hungry, stressed, and anxious. I can't work with such an environment. The Ministry, the administrators, the other teachers, whatever they want or have to do with me, they might just do it; I don't care. I always put my students' needs first. And if I have to force them into taking a class under inhumane conditions, I'd rather lose the job than take part of that. I'm doing this because I need the cash, but thankfully, there are other places where I can get a job.

But yeah, I'm very close to quitting. Nevertheless, I'm not calling on quits yet. I'm still very puzzled about this challenge, and I have no idea how to take it. I'm shocked. Fish out of the water. And if this class is evidently uncomfortable on doing this... well, I guess I only have two options left. People are pressuring me about not quitting, but in all honesty, this time, I'm not thinking about myself. I'm thinking about them. It's a science focused school, I get it. I understand it. I also graduated from high school with a science degree. But music is not something that shall be taught as a science unless you're studying musicology, synthesis, or sound engineering. And I have my doubts about the first two.

I don't blame anyone about this. This is something that comes from the higher-ups, and the administratives had no word upon it. I don't have any issue with them whatsoever.

November 16th, 2022

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 60 Seconds Lunge Step-ups +EC
Count: 933 - 929 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
On hold

Workouts:
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees

Challenges:
Day 15, Day 16
:v: Get to Bed on Time: Day 10

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
More music language basics, including the parts of a musical figure, and some cuatro patterns

Others:
No math
No Python

OJJJEM

Hmm... I'm no authority on teaching school, and I have no formal education, but I have a feeling you will find your answer as you continue to strive to teach your children joy in sound and music. You may have already started without realizing it. You've got quite a self-learning curve ahead of you either way until your term as their teacher ends. So, good luck! <3 <3 <3

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
I understand your frustration but this may be a starting point to get some inspiration:

…the making of is linked in the description.

I saw it at school, and I couldn't watch the video until I came home... But you sent me down a rabbit hole that I can't get out of now, and saved my ass in the process! Thank you so much; I mean it! :please:

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
I should clock off after that first class, but I have to stay at school to keep the schedule for a couple of hours more. I only had one class today, and the coordinator from that grade showed up to congratulate that class for having the best grades of that year, right after I finished today's lesson. Not going to lie, these kids are actually a breeze; with only a couple being brats, but they are not as bad or disrespectful as others. I'm earning their trust, which is good.

On the other hand, I got a big spook after Qi Gong: I lost my house keys. So I walked back to the park, after sunset, at a very fast pace, worried sick about it. There was a couple, and I asked them if they saw my keys, but they didn't. In fact, the man was afraid that I could accuse him of stealing, but I told him that I wasn't thinking that at all, so I looked for them in the floor, to no avail. Then I remember that today's exercise had a move in which we looked up to the sky. So I did, and found myself back at the same view I had. I remember sitting right next to a patch of coco-grass that grew in the middle of the concrete. I looked down, saw the patch, and right next to it, my keys. No wonder I didn't listen to them falling off my pocket.

Told the couple that I found the keys, and apologized for any inconvenience, and walked back home. Needless to say that I ticked off the daily walk by pure accident. Sadly, there were no Burpees. I went out this morning, after school, to purchase some veggies, and I took a long nap.

It was a good day. I'm ready for tomorrow, the weekend, which of course includes D&D. We're about to face off the big bad from this long ass arc, and after this, our characters reach the 20th level, and we can finally go through the final arc and face the BBEG itself at the end.

This campaign has lasted... at least nine months. I'm not ready to say goodbye to it, but there's still time for that.

November 17th, 2022

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 30 Side-to-side Lunges +EC
Count: 934 - 930 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
On hold

Workouts:
:v: WoD: I can & I Will - LVL III +No rest between sets
:v: Ba Han Sheng Qi Gong: Picking up the celestial aromas

Challenges:
Day 17
:v: Get to Bed on Time: Day 11

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:

Others:
No math
No Python

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
Well, I got out of school earlier than I thought. There was a meeting, but the attendance to that meeting was optional. Nevertheless, my boss dismissed my class, and I had nothing to do there, so... I left.

And I slept...

I called a rain check on walking, though. And I mean that literally. It rained very heavily.

I also managed to write today! Even though I got stuck... But I wrote!

November 18th, 2022

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 40 Raised Leg Circles +EC
Count: 935 - 931 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
On hold

Workouts:
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
:v: Zombie - LVL III +No rest between sets

Challenges:
Day 17, Day 18
:x: Get to Bed on Time: Day 12

Writing progress:
:v: Furious 500
:v: Nightcap 200

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:

Others:
No math
No Python

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
I wrote a thing last night! Finally! I stopped caring about filling a wordcount this time and let it go. 2K is not so bad for a story, though it seems more like a first part out of three. I still have another idea on the qeue to develop. Again, a short. High urban fantasy, neon-noir, and romance do get along very well. And since I also use the lore of my campaign, I don't need to do maintenance. Not only that, I can also rescue a ton of works that I've done in the past. High fantasy/Cyberpunk work that can actually benefit from this.

I'm smiling. I'm back, albeit partially. But I'm back.

November 19th, 2022

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 40 Scorpion Twists +EC
Count: 936 - 932 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
On hold

Workouts:
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
:v: WoD: Rowdy +Megaset

Challenges:
Day 19
:x: Get to Bed on Time: Day 12

Writing progress:
:v: Nifty 350

:v: 1500 Words Daily!

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Nope

Others:
No math
No Python

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
It seems my skills for writing, balancing combats, and making sure everyone has fun are improving. No one expected the many plot twists I put on today's session, and the first boss combat we had, though it took us 7 rounds and almost the entire session, it was really hard. I thought I'd turned it on a TPK, and one character was a few hit points away into dying. Nevertheless, that's only one combat out of the two I had planned, and the second one is longer since it has two phases instead of one... The characters aren't starting next session at their 100% either, so it'll be difficult.

I also introduced a homebrew parody of the Deck of Many Things that I called the "Deck of Not So Many Things," which has absurd effects on the cards. The Skull was one of the cards drawn when I motivated the players to try it out, and instead of it's usual effect, it summoned actual Discworld's Death for a couple of minutes before vanishing.

So yeah, I did skip working out. In fact, it's a bit late for me, so I'm skipping the Night Routine. Tomorrow, I'll compensate everything.

November 20th, 2022

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 40 Tricep Dips +EC
Count: 937 - 933 +EC

Night Routine:
:x: Mani Salutation - 1 Set
:x: Five Rites
:x: Virasana Meditation

Programs:
On hold

Workouts:
:v: WoD: 2-Minute Abs +EC

Challenges:
Day 20
:v: Get to Bed on Time: Day 12

Writing progress:

:x: 1500 Words Daily!

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Nope

Others:
No math
No Python

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
Well, I'm going to bed a bit late tonight. It's fine, though. On my new schedule, I don't need to be early on Tuesdays, so I can rest a bit more. Like I said, this new schedule is great. It's the way the classes are organized that is awful.

Today was good. It was quick too, way quicker than I thought it would be. My science class wasn't so great, but it's the one on Friday that worries me the most. I'll get to it eventually.

No walking, but some Burpees.

November 21st, 2022

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 60 Seconds Virabhadrasana III +EC
Count: 938 - 934 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
On hold

Workouts:
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
:v: WoD: Big Bang - LVL III +Megaset

Challenges:
Day 20
:v: Get to Bed on Time: Day 13

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
The same as last week, and some science behind music...

Others:
No math
No Python

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
Even though the school year is beginning, I started working pretty late. In fact, late enough so that I don't have to grant grades during this period. I mean, so far, it's been only four weeks, and somehow, one of my bosses is demanding that I give her a grade report. The students can barely differentiate between a quarter note than an eighth note, and just now are learning about rests. Sure, if I started on September, I could have that already, but what am I supposed to grade? All I can do is report on their progress and nothing more.

Not to mention a couple of them missed classes because email meetings were called out, so it's annoying to have them at the same level. I don't know, but none of those kids are ready for a first evaluation as of yet. If they can give me two or three weeks, I can surely do one, but I didn't plan for any exams or anything of the sort for just a month of classes. And how am I supposed to do a report by Friday when I'm learning about this after my shift ended? How am I supposed to turn back in time?

There's a miscommunication problem on some end, or there's something that make no sense. If I have to grade these kids, I'll report on their progress, and be absolutely biased towards the fact that they are not ready for that yet. This is unethical. I'm not going to demotivate my students with a low number that I'm fully aware they will get just because I need to "do my job" even when I can't evaluate anything in a month. They're teenagers, for crying out loud! I'm not dealing with adults that are learning music on a conservatory, this is a high school, and some of these kids don't even want to attend my class sometimes!

Ugh...

At least the classes went alright. I had to pull out my Whiplash role and pretend that I was in a very bad mood, and became the orthodox conductor that can kick someone out just because they hear them breathing. Suffice to say that they were intimidated enough to participate, and I brought up the laziest bunch. I got so deep into that role that I broke a clave mid-class. I couldn't stop laughing on my way back home, I was not expecting for them to buy the whole thing. Thankfully, I'm not willing to throw them a chair, but the persona is sticking, though it can hurt my throat because... the laziest ones make me scream so loud that probably other classes can hear me.

Tomorrow... will be tough. The last hour is the toughest, and they gave me the worst-behaved ones at the last hour.

November 22nd, 2022

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 20 Jump Squats +EC
Count: 939 - 935 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
On hold

Workouts:
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees

Challenges:
Day 21, Day 22
:v: Get to Bed on Time: Day 14

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Rests. Rhythmic solfeggio. Rolling Nat 20s on Intimidation checks. Does anyone ever read this?

Others:
No math
No Python

OJJJEM

Not sure if this will solve your problem, but perhaps you can give an end of week evaluation (quiz) of whether or not the child comprehends what's being taught and submit that as a grade report?

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
Well, as I said before, I bought myself another week. I dismissed the class I had at the final hour because the teacher from the class before me didn't show up. Rather than having them to wait until the end of the morning, I was allowed by my supervisor to dismiss them. Told them to look for some stuff up, and that I'll evaluate them next week. Like I said, I'll be as helpful as I can with them, because I know some of them will fail no matter what.

I'm having some doubts. I think I went a bit overboard today with one class, but I redeemed myself from that quick. It's difficult enough to get them to participate, so I'll let them choose: either they practice for the exam next week, or they fail. I'll still be helpful, but my demeanor with them will me more strict than with the others.

Another class with troubles that made me roll very high on an Intimidation check. What's the best way to deal with two students that are constantly interrupting the class because they keep fighting between themselves? Forcing them to work together. Either they put their differences to the side and work with each other, or stop fighting and interrupting the class. Speaking of these kids, I'm actually earning their trust. Some of them already asked me if it's fine to have a boyfriend / girlfriend. I had to tell me that answer relies on your parents and not me, and one threw it back at me, asking if I had a girlfriend at his age. I told him that's something you won't know. With subjects like this, I prefer to let the parents deal with it, else I can get in deep troubles for that.

There's a kid in this year too that so many teachers seem to have trouble with, and today I figured out why: he seems to be lacking attention from home, therefore, he's compensating by looking for it at school, no matter whether it's good or bad. Fun thing: he's the most interested, driven, motivated, and disciplined student in my classes. He might not be the best, but he puts a lot of effort, and is always willing to do everything. I think the other teachers should lower their guards a bit and keep an eye on him.

Empathy does a lot of things. I might behave like Fletcher, but at least I do my best to understand these kids so that I can get the best of them. They can learn music if they put the effort on it, even if they're not very good at it. At worst, they should leave with music as a hobby that they're not good at, but they still find joy in doing so. I don't want them to be the very best musicians; this isn't a conservatory. All I want from them is to learn.

And if someone does as much as putting a finger on them, mama teacher bear is coming for them.

November 23rd, 2022

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 60 Seconds Leg Raise Hold +EC
Count: 940 - 936 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
On hold

Workouts:
:v: Rise & Shine

Challenges:
Day 23
:v: Get to Bed on Time: Day 15

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Rests. Rhythmic solfeggio. Rolling Dirty 20s on Intimidation checks. Seems like no one does, lol

Others:
No math
No Python

PetiteSheWolf

Alchemist from France
I love it how clearly you feel for those kids and are trying your best. :) And your comments about boyfriend / girlfriend question also make very much sense to me. Home / school boundaries are very much in discussion these days, and your approach appears healthy to me. Keep on the good work!

OJJJEM

I have recently been studying up on the difference between authoritative and authoritarian behaviors for the sake of better caring for the children under my stewardship. It's been a very eye-opening process for me. The strain of a performance deadline given you by others my invoke desperation at times. So, I feel impressed to remind you of the importance of an authoritative stance when demands for a more authoritarian approach arise. It's not right, but there are people out there who will push you in ways that you never though possible concerning how to tend the children. Never compromise your standards if you are doing what is right by those kids, even if the end result isn't in your favor.

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
There is a lot of things to improvise now. I'm posting right now for two reasons: I believe I'm catching a cold, and I had no class today. There's an exterminator at school now, so everyone has the day off. Long weekend, and some recovery too.

So, I'm catching a cold. Hence I didn't do any workouts yesterday. Not even Qi Gong. I was so tired that I went to bed straight after shower. I didn't even write, despite the fact that I was close to do so. All in all, it was a meh day.

November 24th, 2022

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 100 Side Shoulder Taps +EC
Count: 941 - 937 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
On hold

Workouts:
:v: Squat & Co

Challenges:
Day 23, Day 24
:v: Get to Bed on Time: Day 16

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Rests. Rhythmic solfeggio.

Others:
No math
No Python

Last edited:

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
Well, it seems that I didn't caught a cold. Other than that, I thought I was going to do Burpees yesterday, and other things... but I was not expecting to spend the entire day outside.

Needless to say I walked a lot, but it wasn't a tiring walk. I wanted to do the WoD so badly, but then again, at LVL III, once at home, already showered... I resorted to do it only at LVL I in one Megaset because I didn't want to resort to resting. Besides, the total for it was below my PBs, so I could handle it in one row.

November 25th, 2022

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 2 Minutes One-Arm Plank Hold +EC
Count: 942 - 938 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
On hold

Workouts:
:v: WoD: Push, Squat, Repeat - LVL I +Megaset

Challenges:
Day 25
:x: Get to Bed on Time: Day 17

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Nope

Others:
No math
No Python

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
"What are you doing working on a Saturday?"

I forgot to mention someone that, being a teacher, it is expected to work unpaid hours at home, on days off. Lots of plannings, lots of paperwork, lots of research, and lots, and lots, and lots... Put music on top, and there's also hours of rehearsal.

What I did today was something I was supposed to do yesterday. But now that it's done, I am completely free. I think this week is going to be the last week of class, since the term is ending very earlier than usual. I still don't know exactly what the hell am I supposed to evaluate other than progress. I don't get why they changed my things when I can't do anything of that sort in... what feels like less than a month of classes. This is something I'll bring up to the classes when the moment comes.

For now, I'm quite hyped about tomorrow. We're picking things up where we left off last week, and kill this boss so we can finally go through the final arc and end the campaign once and for all. Only a few sessions left... and one piece of Unearthed Arcana that was left unused, but it could have been useful throughout this arc! And I found it today while researching GURPS!

Yes, I'm thinking of bringing GURPS Ultra-Lite to the classroom. I just need to see how, or maybe, in the future, with something unrelated to music. I'm looking for things to help me.

At least I did Burpees today. I haven't written yet, but I will once I post.

E: I did write. Not 1500 words, but I did finish a short.

November 26th, 2022

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 60 Seconds Pacer Steps +EC
Count: 943 - 939 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
On hold

Workouts:
40 Full Burpees
30 Full Burpees
30 Full Burpees

Challenges:
Day 25, Day 26
:x: Get to Bed on Time: Day 17

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Nope

Others:
No math
No Python

Last edited:

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
Much needed D&D day. No workouts, just gaming. It was a fun session, especially towards the end, and the biggest reveal about the allusive legendary faction. Characters having visions, and now we're dealing with the consecuences of a war.

I guess only one or two sessions left before we start the final arc. We finally hit 20, so there's no need to farm anymore. All I need to do is update the sidekicks, which is something that I'll do tomorrow, considering that this week is going to be weak at school.

I can finally chill for a bit now, and rejoice that I have some time to do DM stuff. I'll miss this Bard, though. Valor Bards are amazing for when the party relies way too much on magic, and can tank more hits than a Sword Bard. I guess they are quite underused.

November 27th, 2022

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 40 Split Lunges +EC
Count: 944 - 940 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
On hold

Workouts:

Challenges:
Day 27
:v: Get to Bed on Time: Day 17

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Nope

Others:
No math
No Python

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
There goes another class...

It's been three weeks in a row in which I couldn't give the brand new class I've been given. I'm planning to use those days for that because it's when we have four hours to go, so there's time to evaluate and stuff. The problem is that I couldn't give on any Friday due to circumstances outside of my control. First, there was a meeting where I wasn't required, but my supervisor dismissed the class. Then, there was an exterminator on call. Now, I got a memo telling me that there's not one, but two meetings this week that not only seem they could have been just emails, but also take up the hours I am supposed to give class?

How can I grade my students when they pull me out of class? I'm already stressed out that I have to grade this week and this week, AFTER I was told I wasn't supposed to grade, then changing things up at the last minute... I'm one step closer to quitting. The students are not the problem. In fact, they keep getting better. It's this stupid organization in which they ask things from me that I can't deliver. How am I supposed to work like this?

The director also called out the long-haired male students this morning, which frankly, I had to tighten up my fist upon my bag's strap to channel the anger. Taking into account that two women went viral because they wouldn't get their passport pictures taken, one because of her hair, and the other one, for showing cleavage when she was wearing a t-shirt, I won't be surprised if what he said is true, and it'll be illegal for male students to have long hair. The fact that the rules are so strict with the male students, and lax with female students (they get to wear makeup and jewelry, but not so much), makes me think there is some seed of sexism involved onto them; the kind that goes both sides: it shames men, and it objectifies women. I can't say enough how, culturally speaking, this is wrong, and legally speaking, if that thing is true, and it applies for teachers as well, it is also unconstitutional.

If this meeting is meant for that, I'm bolting out without saying anything, and only coming back the next day to leave my first notice. The reasons for quitting keep piling up. Worst of all, is not exercising the profession that is making me quit. It's the old-fashioned and stupid rules, the general disorganization from both the Ministry and the school, and the fact that the Ministry can and will take their sweet time to pay wages that tells me to quit. I've had enough of this. If I can stand for the entire year, it'll be a miracle. But right now, all of these seems like an entire bag of troubles I'd rather not to deal with, mostly because those are lost battles. Walking away might be the best and only course of action.

November 28th, 2022

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 10 Burpees +EC
Count: 945 - 941 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
On hold

Workouts:
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees

Challenges:
Day 27, Day 28
:v: Get to Bed on Time: Day 18

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Exams

Others:
No math
No Python

OJJJEM

My kids' schools are having a major dress code issue... Our girls are dressing as sluts without consequence because enough raised the "freedom of expression" alarm that the school changed its policy... Frankly, if it's any consolation, "teen girls are dumb enough to objectify themselves..." -A former teen girl. However, you're right... long hair is a far cry from poor grooming. As long as their hair doesn't impede their vision, I see no reason why it should matter at all...

You're not alone in your battle against your local board of education! Most teachers face policies that only an idiot who doesn't spend all their time with a wide variety of kids comes up with.

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
@OJJJEM Thankfully the girls dressing up slutty is not a thing here because the system mandates that all schools, public and private, nation-wide, must have their students in uniform. The issue comes with the schools that make mandatory the use of skirts. I've heard lots of stories about creeps trying to take a peek underneath from the stairs since I was in high school myself. Teachers might do it too, considering the amount of creepy teachers I've seen on the news lately. But anyway, as I said, the issue is not them dressing up as lots. Of course, I understand if they put so much makeup they might as well be cosplaying, but sometimes only eyeliner and base is too much for someone; depending on the director.

But yeah, the long hair thing, is moronic. Besides, rules as written don't specify long hair. They only say that male students should have a conventional haircut, only specifying certain things that are not allowed. Funny enough, long hair isn't mentioned in it. "Conventional haircut" is a very subjective wording. That's why I don't bother my students about their appearance. As long as they have their uniforms, they are free to express themselves as they want.

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
How fun, another day without school. And it was announced last night that we weren't having classes today, but I didn't bother to check WhatsApp, so that's on me.

Here's my problem, though: HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO GIVE GRADES IF THEY KEEP CANCELLING CLASSES?! HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO EVALUATE STUDENTS?!

There's three classes now that I won't be delivering grades! THREE!

I am... frustrated. I am laughing my ass off at this whole ordeal! Laughing in frustration! It's like a sick game in which they're all playing to make things worst! Lucky for them I have two in-school hours free on Thursday, so maybe, and just maybe, I can evaluate those students I couldn't today. In the end, it depends more on them than on me, since I don't know if they will be here.

At least I had a day off, right? Right? What's the point on having days off if I can't do my job; the job they are demanding me to do at the same time they aren't doing any effort of allowing me to do it! And writing up those words almost made me toss the laptop to the floor!

I don't even want to complain about this in the upcoming meetings either. I was not supposed to evaluate because I started up late, then I've been demanded grades pretty much a week before the deadline, after I attended five different classes...

I want to hit my face against the desk so bad. This job is a disaster. This entire week has been nothing but a disaster, and it's only Tuesday! Am I really irresponsible for not wanting to work tomorrow? Truth being told, I'm going whether I like it or not, because I must, but if it was my choice, I'd only go there to leave my first notice. No, really, I should do that. I can't work like this. I can't! Neither my students nor I are going to perform well in class with frequent last minute changes such as this.

E: How much I needed Power Punch today, though. I completed the challenge, but I'm still pissed off about this.

November 29th, 2022

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 2 Minutes Leg Raised Hold +EC
Count: 946 - 942 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
On hold

Workouts:
:v: Number's Game +EC

Challenges:
:completed: Day 29, Day 30 :star:
:v: Get to Bed on Time: Day 19

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Guitar lessons

Others:
No math
No Python

Last edited:

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
"“Keep an eye on the staircases. They like to change.” Percy Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."
Congrats
:worried:

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
Thought I'd write today, but I ended up sleeping through the entire afternoon. I don't know why I was so tired today; I've had worst days...

But anyway, it seems that the school is aware about things going the wrong way lately, so they'll give us some extra time. Now, how much is that extra time is not something they outright said, but at least there is a silver lining. I'm still thinking about quitting, though. I'm not seeing any money, and I won't until another week, I guess. But, as I stated many times, if I don't have any money by the time they said I'll get it, I quit. I am not going to keep working for free, and I am not going to waste my time rallying up the syndicate for money that will be devaluated later on. There's been the suggestion of working on private schools, but the hair rule is something in which they are more strict than public schools, and I am not cutting my hair for a job. I'd rather die.

At least the month is over, though. This was very stressful.

I wanted to do Burpees, but I guess sleep was better for me.

November 30th, 2022

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 10 Burpees +EC
Count: 947 - 943 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
On hold

Workouts:
:v: WoD: Five-Minute Plank +EC
:v: Emergency +No rest between sets

Challenges:
:v: Get to Bed on Time: Day 20

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
More exams

Others:
No math
No Python

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
Why do we have so many meetings that could be just emails? Why did we have a two-hour email as a meeting? Why do we have another one of these tomorrow?

Is this why I stressed so much about it? Not to mention, the entire school was supposed to show up, but a lot of teachers didn't come. And I certainly am going tomorrow, because I already commited myself to it.

It was a busy day to. I didn't do Burpees because I came home at... 8 PM. So, only Fit December, and bed.

This week wasn't as stressful as the last one, but it's certainly trying to be. 9 days left. If I'm not getting paid in 9 days, I quit. This is not worth my time.

December 1st, 2022

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 30 Plank Jacks +EC
Count: 948 - 944 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
:v: Fit Yule: Day 1 +Megaset

Workouts:
:v: Ba Han Sheng Qi Gong: Prayer

Challenges:
:v: Get to Bed on Time: Day 21

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
More exams

Others:
No math
No Python

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
Finally, the first period is almost over. Only one week left, and some students to grade still. Nevertheless, it was a good week, if only a bit stressful. But I managed to work my way until the end yesterday, and finally, we had the first meeting that was an actual meeting and not an email! We did stuff! We had work to do! We wrote things! We discussed!

It's a shame that my hopes for what we've discussed are low. It's very likely it won't result in anything to get done. There is a history of shelving things up either because there's no budget, the project is deemed "too ambitious," or the Ministry doesn't want to do it. I could say this is a government thing, but this has happened since... pretty much since the 60s.

But anyway, I graded students, I'm almost done. I still have a couple of days more to keep grading the rest before delivering all the notes, and finally, my work is done. I could finally focus on doing D&D yesterday, and wow, I wrote 1500 words in my session prep that can actually go for something else. In fact, today I flavored things up for it, so there's a bit extra to do things. I'll use theatre of the mind for this, though. I'll go crazy with dividing the party, and tracking combat with the hex grid.

December 2nd, 2022

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 2 Minutes Jumping Ts +EC
Count: 949 - 945 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
:v: Fit Yule: Day 2 +Megaset

Workouts:
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees

Challenges:
:x: Get to Bed on Time: Day 22

Writing progress:

:v: 1500 Words Daily!

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
More exams

Others:
No math
No Python

OJJJEM

I'm glad you were finally able to get some DnD in! You are doing a great job... You face so many frustrations that just create such a difficult environment for you to utilize your full potential on those kids, but I can see that you're "winging it" beautifully. I don't remember who said this, but I love the springy sunshineyness to the quote, "Chin up, Ladybug!" It feels so right to use it here... So, I will... Chin up, Ladybug! I know you're in a rough patch, but you're doing an amazing job working through it.

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
Posting late because I ended up writing a little bit, with a lot of staring to black pages. I don't have much to say. Brain can't work right now.

December 3rd, 2022

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 2 Minutes Jumping Ts +EC
Count: 950 - 946 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
:v: Fit Yule: Day 3

Workouts:
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
:v: WoD: Rest & Repair - LVL III +Megaset

Challenges:
:x: Get to Bed on Time: Day 22

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Nope

Others:
No math
No Python

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
D&D day, and now I'm going to sleep. Not much to tell, except that I skipped everything fitness because it's very late, and I have to wake up early tomorrow.

Although I don't think I have much work to do. Maybe just do time, and perhaps evaluate the students that didn't show up for their exams last week, and that's it. There's not much to be done. I mean, they are pretty much on holidays, and next week we'll be done. This means that I'm supposed to be paid this week, and... I'm not too excited about it. Frankly, I don't have any hopes. I think I made my decision, and I don't want to stay. I'll be looking for other opportunities next year.

December 4th, 2022

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 60 Seconds Bridge Hold +EC
Count: 951 - 947 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
:v: Fit Yule: Hall Pass #1

Workouts:

Challenges:
:v: Get to Bed on Time: Day 22

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
I did play the guitar? Pretty much it was to resolve a doubt, and that was it. Also, my nails broke

Others:
No math
No Python