This yogurt smoothie has a ton of protein??

Fitato

Mystic from Kansas
"Hello"
I'm doing what I can to try to add as much protein as my diet as I can. Today I bought "Two Good Smoothies" peach yogurt. It's 70 calories a bottle. 1 bottle has 10g protien.
GUEST_abe7adde-4d03-4e7c-8cc2-0e00dc160b8a

If I drank two bottles of this, that's 140 calories and 20g protein.
If I have 1 scoop of my protein powder, that's 140 calories and 16g protein.

This drink has more protein than my protein powder?!

I'm not really going anywhere else with this, I just feel dumbfounded. I looked up a few other yogurts, and the protein content wasn't nearly in high in those. This wasn't marketed as a high-protein product. Wonder what other high-protein foods lying around without me realizing it!

Also...I think before my next work out, I'm going to drink one of these bottles and put a scoop of protein powder in it to make the ultimate protein drink. I think it'll taste good, chocolatey and fruity!

Andi64

from Margareten
The US food industry does a lot of lobbying to make nutrition facts hard to comprehend for their customers. (Not using the metric system plays in their hands I guess). Since they are now forced to declare what's in the bottle, they make it harder for you to compare it with other products. A part of this is the percentage per serving declaration.
First you have to figure out what's the serving. In your case 207g. So, if you want to get to a meaningful, comparable value of how much of what is in your drink, like a percentage (%), you'll have to do some serious math. But dont't let yourself get off track by those DV % on the lable. They just give you an estimate of how much of your daily intake of, let's say red herring, is satisfied by ingesting that serving. So here we have percentages, but they do not really relate to the content of the bottle, more to an estimate of a wholesome diet.
Back to the math at hand: We need a percentage of what is in the bottle. 10g of protein in a 207g bottle is🎉 4,8 % protein. So a rough 1/20 of that stuff is protein. The rest (19/20) is something else, sugar, color, flavorings, water...
Your protein powder should consist of more than 5% protein. Mine has 77% (= 77g for 100g) and a whooping 29g protein for 140 kcal.
I'd guess the best high-protein sources do not come in plastic bottles, but in feathers, scales, skins and pods.

Last edited:

Fitato

Mystic from Kansas
"Hello"
@Andi64 Very insightful! Thank you for the information. Though it says the bottle is 207ml. I don't think it's also 207 grams?

I didn't realize my protein powder had such little protein in it. I'm new to protein powder :)

~
I did end up mixing this yogurt drink (but the strawberry banana flavor) with muscle milk chocolate protein powder and a small dash of milk. It didn't taste good. So I added a few spoonfuls of almond milk "ice cream" and opened a new jar of pea protein powder. The pea protein and the "ice cream" made the drink taste good and unique. A satisfying, refreshing protein dessert lol. It was a bit too thick though. I may make it again sometime but add more milk and some ice cubes.

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
"Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today"
Do you eat fish? If so, I have one word for you:
Sardines
One tin of sardines in oil, at around 90g fish, gives you 20-25g protein for not even 200 kcal. They're also pretty healthy, tasty if you like them, and super cheap. If you don't like them by themselves, mash them and mix them with yoghurt and spices, for a tasty paste.
Additionally, drink one litre of milk over the course of a day, and bam! another 30g of protein at not even 700 kcal, so your already pretty well off.
But really. Sardines.

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
The rest (19/20) is something else, sugar, color, flavorings, water...
It's a surprisingly good product for American standards:
Cultured Grade A Reduced Fat Milk, Water, Cultured Grade A Ultra-filtered Non Fat Milk, Peach Puree, Less Than 1%: Natural Flavors, Pectin, Lactase, Sea Salt, Stevia Leaf (Reb M And D), Sodium Citrate, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Vitamin D3. Yogurt Cultures L. Bulgaricus & S. Thermophilus..
You could do much worse, tbh. I think the bigger issue is the price, which seems to be around 1.90 $ per bottle, which is rather expensive, imo.

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
@Henry I have no idea how avocado tastes, because I don't get them here, but sardines in tomato sauce are pretty good, yes. Although I like those in oil more, mostly because of their versatility.

Fitato

Mystic from Kansas
"Hello"
It's a surprisingly good product for American standards:

You could do much worse, tbh. I think the bigger issue is the price, which seems to be around 1.90 $ per bottle, which is rather expensive, imo.

Yeah, I was just grabbing something quick and don't see myself buying it again for that reason. Was a nice little treat though!

Not a fan of fish

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
Not a fan of fish
Sad, but understandable. Not everyone likes those, although depending on the fish you can mask the taste pretty well. Many people like tuna, for example, despite not liking any other fish.
What about dairy? Cottage cheese has a pretty good protein-to-calorie ratio, if you take the one with less fat it's ~10-15g protein for around 100kcals. Tastes a bit boring by itself, but you can make it more interesting with berries, spices, or herbs. It can also be rather cheap, although prices nearly doubled over the past months where I live, but it needn't be the same for you.