Tonto - New Guy, 61

Tonto

from Tennessee, USA
First post. Dabbled with fitness most of my life, getting more serious over the past three months or so about more intense exercise and nutrition, so the golden years are truly golden.

Did first workout of Hard Reset Strength. Never been much of a weights guy. Honestly a little intimidated by that part of the gym, and lack of a plan made it hard without knowing what to do on which day. But everyone says resistance training is important for older folks, so I picked a program and gave it a shot. Anyway, I think it went fine. I liked knowing exactly how much to do of each exercise, and I knew when I was done. Much better than aimlessly drifting from one thing to another. I think I went a little light on the weights I chose for each exercise, but part of the learning curve, I guess. Took a little over a half hour, which seems reasonable. Also: Nobody cared that an old guy was lifting dumbbells, so there really wasn't a reason to feel awkward about starting as an older beginner. Ready for Day 2 tomorrow, which will focus on lower body.

Followed that up with a 30-minute stationary bike ride - that's been my favorite exercise for a year or so, so it was like a reward for getting started with resistance training. I'm also doing Man Flow Yoga, which I love. Looking forward to a good stretch before bed.

Looking forward to learning from all of you.

Tonto

from Tennessee, USA
Day 2 of Strength Reset in the books. I might have over-corrected on the weights. I thought yesterday was too little, today I was at my limit on a couple of moves. Maybe it's supposed to be that way - I made it through the three sets of everything I had planned after all. I suspect I'll feel it in the glutes tomorrow. It's fine, Day 3 and 4 look more like active recovery - no weights at any rate.

Wrapped up with a brisk 13 minute treadmill walk, simply because I wanted to finish the podcast I was listening to.

Thank you for the kind words of welcome.

Tonto

from Tennessee, USA
Day 3 done. Just static stretches and core engagement but I'm doing what the program says. Lack of a planned program has been a downfall before, so now that I have one, I'm sticking with it. Also 45 minutes of yoga plus an unplanned 20-minute walk around a parking lot because I was bored while waiting for wife to get out of an appointment.

My prediction about feeling a little sore today came true, but honestly not as bad as I thought it might be.

Another fairly easy program day tomorrow, then back on it with the weights.

I know these aren't thrilling updates but recording them helps me focus.

Tonto

from Tennessee, USA
Day 4 of Strength Reset. Side leg and back leg raises are deceptive. They look so easy, but I certainly felt it after 80 of them on each leg. The side-to-side lunges actually felt good, although I didn't go as low as the drawing. The 2-minute split hold felt great, and my extension grew as the timer went along.

Also: 40 minutes of yoga, so I'm still on track with that, too. That workout included a lot of seated leg raises held for a long time - an unwelcome surprise on the heels of all the hip work with Reset this morning, but done nonetheless.

Back to the gym tomorrow for more dumbbell work. Upper body, thank goodness, because the legs can use a break!

Tonto

from Tennessee, USA
Day 5 done. I had to move down a little bit in weight with the bicep curls after failing midway on the second set. On the other hand, I moved up on the second and third set of the shrugs because the first set was too easy.

30 minutes of yoga early in the morning set me up to start the day in a good mood.

Tonto

from Tennessee, USA
Day 6 of Strength Reset done. I really challenged myself on the squats and the reverse lunges. Barely made it through the last sets on shaky legs, but I did it.

Moved up in weight by 5 pounds on the calf raises after the first set because someone snagged the dumbbells I was using, but the last two sets went just fine. So that's my new norm. I might even go up another 5 pounds the next time those roll around.

Another early morning yoga session. I think I like doing that in the morning - surprising because I don't see myself as a morning person.

Bonus: Student massage at my local community college massage school because poor folks gotta find luxuries where we can. $20 for the hour. He was great, and I've re-booked with him in three weeks. Something to look forward to.

Tonto

from Tennessee, USA
Day 9 complete.

Lateral raises are not my friend. I had to drop down in weight after the first set, and there were only 6 in a set.

Followed up with an Apple treadmill workout. 20 minutes grooving to boy bands from the 80s. It was actually fun, and I got the heartrate up pretty good.

Been doing some research for a full-body dumbbell workout plan (3 days a week) to transition after this program. The weather is getting nicer, and ideally I'd like to continue strength training with cardio in between during the week, and reserve weekends for hikes and other physical activities my soul needs.

Tonto

from Tennessee, USA
Day 10 done, and I resented every minute of it.

First off, I just wasn't feeling it today. Then I went to the gym and it was so packed I left and had to go back this evening. I make this sound like a great hardship, but I only live a mile away. But still.

It was leg day, not my favorite, and I didn't match my previous best on lunges or side lunges. Like I said, not feeling it.

But... it may be the workout I'm most proud of. I had all kinds of excuses to wimp out. I even invented some. But, in the end, I got the job done.

I actually don't resent it now.

Oh yeah, yoga this morning. Wasn't feeling that either, but also did it anyway. LOL

Tonto

from Tennessee, USA
Thank you all for the boost! I needed it. Much better attitude today! I have a lot to be grateful for, and it's pretty wimpy to complain that other people were in the gym when I wanted to go.

Day 11 is done - mainly static core poses. I just rolled those into my weekday yoga - extending the workout a bit. It fit nicely since my yoga program is also pretty core intensive.

What made the day special was that it was pretty nice this morning, so I got an early walk in. I'm not an indoor cat, and I think being cooped up hasn't helped the past few days. A couple miles in the sunshine with just a light jacket hit the spot.

Tonto

from Tennessee, USA
Day 13 wrapped up early. Back to the gym and the weights. I've come to really love upper body day. Wouldn't have guessed that, but old dogs can learn new tricks.

Woke up really early and knocked out a pretty intense yoga session before wife woke up. Nice having the house sorta to myself.

Still researching a program with a full body dumbell routine 3x a week. The good news is I've found lots of workouts outside of programs, so I can just build my own using those as a base. But first things first. I'm sticking with this program until it is done.

Tonto

from Tennessee, USA
Day 15 done. Mainly leg lifts. Made it to the gym for my stationary bike ride. I haven't had time for that lately. I put a lot of effort into that ride, and I can tell the strength work is showing. A good thing!

I think a gentle bedtime stretch is in order, and I've got a hike planned tomorrow. I need some Me Time, so I hope my favorite close-by trail isn't crowded.

Tonto

from Tennessee, USA
Day 17 Upper Body done, and I actually enjoyed the gym. Leg day tomorrow.

Nearly an hour of yoga this evening, so I'm still up to date with that program, too. It ends on Friday, so I'm looking to the next yoga program on the platform I use. I still have to decide what that will be, but I'm leaning towards a fundamentals class to get my form just right before doing an intermediate or advanced.

Surprise for the day: A friend I hadn't seen in some time said I had lost a lot of weight!

Tonto

from Tennessee, USA
Day 21 in the books! I really enjoyed upper body day. It's my favorite. Leg day tomorrow (boo!)

35 minutes of yoga, and only one more day to do on that program before I pick another. I like have routines already programmed out for me rather than having to pick my own.

Sure, it's less "control" but I also don't dither around searching for just the right thing.