Uneven number of set repetitions for asymmetrical exercise

miaux

Often in the Fit December program (for example: Day 4 holds, Day 8 raise leg holds, Day 12 leg holds, et cetera) there is an uneven number of set repetitions for an asymmetrical exercise.

What is intended here?

The Workout Manuel says:
Number of reps is always a total number for both legs / arms / sides. It’s easier to count this way: e.g. if it says 20 climbers, it means that both legs are already counted in - it is 10 reps each leg.
(Aside - I just realized that I have probably been doing this wrong for years! I always did what was in the picture x number of reps, that is sometimes both sides and sometimes only one. Interesting!)

It seems like in these cases, there should either be an even number of set repetitions (even numbers hold one leg and odd numbers the other) or it should be indicated that one should switch sides in the middle.

I did the former, changed the 5 repetitions to 6 and did 3 on each side, but am curious anyway!

Last edited:
Solution
If you notice the numbers are always divisible by two so you can do half the exercise on one side and half on the other :)
Some illustrations can be a little misleading but if you remember how it works in general, just apply that rule ;)
Putting instructions or double images for each workout would be impractical.

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
"“Keep an eye on the staircases. They like to change.” Percy Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."
If you notice the numbers are always divisible by two so you can do half the exercise on one side and half on the other :)
Some illustrations can be a little misleading but if you remember how it works in general, just apply that rule ;)
Putting instructions or double images for each workout would be impractical.

Solution

miaux

Thanks for the reply!

I get that logic for repetitions, but don't like it for holds.

20 reps are still 20 reps even if I split them between legs, but a 20 second hold split in two becomes 2 10-second holds! 😀

I agree that two pictures are unnecessary, and that the rule is generally clear, but think a short clarification for holds would be helpful ("10 seconds each side", or "switch sides in the middle", or similar). The clarifying instructions "Repeat the sequence on the other side", "per leg", "per side", "X seconds each side, switch on the fly" indeed already appear in Darebee programs.