I won't bore you with the science but there is a sizeable body of research on this. As we get older we lose some of our spontaneity. Our ability to have fun for fun's sake is curtailed. Our sense of wonder at the world is lost. We become locked into social obligations and guided by social expectations. We forget to do things for ourselves just because we want to such as: A few minutes spent walking by the sea, or in the park. Some time spent listening to a song or reading a book on the floor, on your back. Long minutes spent looking up at clouds, or throwing a ball against a wall. Even an aimless wander through a mall or a stroll around the block.
Now here's what happens when we do exercise this form of self-care:
- Our levels of experienced anxiety, drop.
- We find it easier to focus afterwards.
- Blood pressure drops to more regular levels.
- Cravings become easier to manage.
- External stressors become easier to cope with.
- Hormonal levels normalize.
- We feel a little bit happier without a real reason.
- Our curiosity levels increase.
- We become a little more social.
- Our healthspan and lifespan become a little longer.