Unleash Your Inner Child

Damer

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Warrior Monk from Terra
Pronouns: He/Him
0_unvZJBMsuUC5Xd5u.jpg
I won't bore you with the science but there is a sizeable body of research on this. As we get older we lose some of our spontaneity. Our ability to have fun for fun's sake is curtailed. Our sense of wonder at the world is lost. We become locked into social obligations and guided by social expectations. We forget to do things for ourselves just because we want to such as: A few minutes spent walking by the sea, or in the park. Some time spent listening to a song or reading a book on the floor, on your back. Long minutes spent looking up at clouds, or throwing a ball against a wall. Even an aimless wander through a mall or a stroll around the block.

Now here's what happens when we do exercise this form of self-care:

1. Our levels of experienced anxiety, drop.
  2. We find it easier to focus afterwards.
  3. Blood pressure drops to more regular levels.
  4. Cravings become easier to manage.
  5. External stressors become easier to cope with.
  6. Hormonal levels normalize.
  7. We feel a little bit happier without a real reason.
  8. Our curiosity levels increase.
  9. We become a little more social.
  10. Our healthspan and lifespan become a little longer.
What do you guys do to find that little bit of space for yourselves that we all need from time to time? How do you keep your inner child alive?

Damer

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Warrior Monk from Terra
Pronouns: He/Him
The external world will always impose itself upon us through expectations, judgement and traditions that must be followed. Those who cannot find the time for themselves so they can recharge and practice self-care will often criticize those who do as a means of validating their own choices and behavior. Secure people raise those around them. Insecure raise themselves by undermining those around around them. You owe it to yourself to grow by accepting that other's acceptance is not always required. That's when you begin to become your own person. This is not easy and it requires, as I am sure you're well aware, a lot of self-reflection and a thick skin.

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
"Motivation is temporary. Discipline is forever."
The external world will always impose itself upon us through expectations, judgement and traditions that must be followed. Those who cannot find the time for themselves so they can recharge and practice self-care will often criticize those who do as a means of validating their own choices and behavior. Secure people raise those around them. Insecure raise themselves by undermining those around around them. You owe it to yourself to grow by accepting that other's acceptance is not always required. That's when you begin to become your own person. This is not easy and it requires, as I am sure you're well aware, a lot of self-reflection and a thick skin.
Sorry for leaving your post uncontextualised! I realised belatedly that I had broken my own rule of not criticising others, even obliquely. I am glad, however, that I have a thick skin!

calldipankar

View attachment 322
I won't bore you with the science but there is a sizeable body of research on this. As we get older we lose some of our spontaneity. Our ability to have fun for fun's sake is curtailed. Our sense of wonder at the world is lost. We become locked into social obligations and guided by social expectations. We forget to do things for ourselves just because we want to such as: A few minutes spent walking by the sea, or in the park. Some time spent listening to a song or reading a book on the floor, on your back. Long minutes spent looking up at clouds, or throwing a ball against a wall. Even an aimless wander through a mall or a stroll around the block.

Now here's what happens when we do exercise this form of self-care:

1. Our levels of experienced anxiety, drop.
  2. We find it easier to focus afterwards.
  3. Blood pressure drops to more regular levels.
  4. Cravings become easier to manage.
  5. External stressors become easier to cope with.
  6. Hormonal levels normalize.
  7. We feel a little bit happier without a real reason.
  8. Our curiosity levels increase.
  9. We become a little more social.
  10. Our healthspan and lifespan become a little longer.
What do you guys do to find that little bit of space for yourselves that we all need from time to time? How do you keep your inner child alive?
I am a middle aged man going through my 50th year ,I have been through so many medcal and family crisis.In spite of all these depression or negetive mindset has never been my load.The reason behind such positive luck is my addiction to fitness and getting chance to maintain that habit.

Attachments

• IMG-20211005-WA0030.jpg
    IMG-20211005-WA0030.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 12

JohnStrong

Guardian from Alberta
"No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates"
How do you keep your inner child alive?
It's a really good question! What jumped to the forefront of my mind while reading your post was the concept of play.

This is one of those things that kids understand and are encouraged towards but adults are generally conditioned to avoid (by design or not) so they can be productive members of society. It's funny - playing video games is WAY more socially acceptable than it was when I was a kid, but I'm not sure it's a good example of play. It's a form of entertainment; I tend to see play or engaging your inner child as involving the use of one's imagination.

Satisfying my inner child got a lot easier once we started our family since our kids are constantly interested in playing with us. Wild strokes of imaginative story-telling or play-acting are their own reward because our kids simply love them.

On my own, I keep my inner child alive by taking my creative ideas seriously. Sometimes they're weird, and impractical, but I've found the more I choose to give expression to these ideas(visuals, poetry, DIY projects, etc), versus diminishing them, the more whole and confident I feel in who I am :) Makes your soul shine

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
Pronouns: She/her
Also want to add, I still talk to my imaginary friend(s). Some people call that being a writer. Sometimes I do too if I want an excuse for talking to imaginary people all day. 🤣🤣🤣

I've had this friend forever. Since being very young. This week I took an entire day where I challenged myself to not talk to myself at all. Just sit with myself.

And it's helped me to realize that the reason I talk to said imaginary friend is because it helps me with loneliness, it helps me to organize my thoughts by saying them out loud as if someone is listening. It's kind of like keeping a diary or a journal. In a verbal way.

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
"Striving to be the change."
This in spades.

I grew up under the thumb of a highly critical person. Fortunately, I also had exposure to other people who seemed to think I was pretty great. This was confusing at times. But ultimately I think it helped me to understand that other people's judgements are about them. They're not about me at all. And I developed the self-confidence to trust my own judgements about myself.

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
"Striving to be the change."

I sing. I dance. I play with my dogs. (Just the one dog now. :sad:) I make time almost every day to be in nature, even if it's only sitting in my own yard under a tree for ten minutes.) I watch birds (and squirrels, rabbits, groundhogs, snakes, frogs, toads, turtles, deer, raccoons, opossum, fish, insects, spiders, mice, moles, weasels, and whatever other critters choose to grace me with their presence) doing their thing and give myself permission to just watch and enjoy without trying to document every observation. I read fiction. And I sometimes write stories purely for my own enjoyment.

lpf

Rogue Posts: 285
"“I am, and always will be, the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes, and the dreamer of improbable dreams.” (Eleventh Doctor)"

oh.... mmh... building lego... taking pictures of lego....
or taking pictures of nature... what I learned about this is not only the technical aspect of taking pictures in general,
but also that you walk around with open eyes (can I say it like that?) and curiosity and the fascination of nature...
keeping the magic alive of all the things around you, even if you know, how it all works
also playing games....
playing games with my friends we used to play when we were young...
things like that...