Vegetarian eating

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
Pronouns: She/her
We were vegetarian a couple of years ago. What started happening is that my husband started getting gout in his elbows everytime he ate lentils or beans.

And these days he gets heartburn when he eats soy.

So we're onto processed meat because it's cheap. (We initially ate vegetarian because it was cheap). Though, the meat we buy now seems to be a mix of venison and soy anyway, with all the added nitrates and so on. We only eat meat five times a week, thank goodness.

But I still add red lentils to a lot of my stuff.

And again... I have lost my tolerance for beans. After skipping a single day. The next day I was dying when I ate them again. So, maybe my body just doesn't like them.

Kanary

Amazon Pronouns: she/her
"For the Light! For Victory! For Cake!"
I try to have breakfast and lunch be vegetarian most days, and at least one vegetarian dinner per week.
I spent at least ten years as a vegetarian, so it's still just my default to pick up a couple of packs of tofu or some canned beans when I am shopping.

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
I normally don't eat breakfast so that's by default vegan. Lol!

Lunch is now hardboiled eggs and a smoothie. Vegetarian.

I have some meat at dinner, not really more than a palm. Except on Tuesdays and Thursdays when we eat eggs for dinner too.

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
@Nevetharine when you eat beans are they from dried ? I think canned give less gas. I usually buy in cans with no salt added, I did make chickpea soup the other day by accident, used a hand blender and it went soupy I was thinking hummus. I then added strong stock coz it was a bit bland.

Either dried or canned does that. But it's not just gas. My colon literally feels like it's been twisted like a washcloth after eating them, or as if someone has clawed at my intestinal wall with a fork.

We don't have beano here so I'd have to special order it which would be very expensive.

Ohh! I forgot about hummus. I picked up brown chickpeas (dried) for so cheap yesterday. Also thought about mashing them for sandwiches 🤔

OJJJEM

Mother of Dragons Posts: 583
My colon literally feels like it's been twisted like a washcloth after eating them, or as if someone has clawed at my intestinal wall with a fork.
Does this happen with nuts, seeds, and whole grains, too, per chance?

OJJJEM

I guess so... But it seems to only be bean-fibre that does that. I'm fine with legumes and wholegrains
It's interesting, for sure... I don't know if your situation matches, but I have read of legume allergies that allow you to eat some, and then totally reject others. I wonder if you have a bean allergy... but you've only complained of intestinal inflammation, which is why I was leaning at a possible IBD... definitely something to talk to your doctor about... maybe even get allergy tested.

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
I've had some IBD symptoms in the past. Like all throughout my childhood really. I frequented doctors with inflammation, infections etc. But I haven't had it in 8 years tbh, I supposed it went dormant.

Actually, I believe the reason for that is that, to this day, I flat out refuse antibiotics. I've had them so much during those times... i think they did more harm than good
It's interesting, for sure... I don't know if your situation matches, but I have read of legume allergies that allow you to eat some, and then totally reject others. I wonder if you have a bean allergy... but you've only complained of intestinal inflammation, which is why I was leaning at a possible IBD... definitely something to talk to your doctor about... maybe even get allergy tested.

OJJJEM

I've had some IBD symptoms in the past. Like all throughout my childhood really. I frequented doctors with inflammation, infections etc. But I haven't had it in 8 years tbh, I supposed it went dormant.

Actually, I believe the reason for that is that, to this day, I flat out refuse antibiotics. I've had them so much during those times... i think they did more harm than good
That's understandable. Though, I can't say they did more harm than good if you're still alive... As long as you're not 100% refusing them even when you've got an infection that's pushing your temps over 104... However, if you have a history, you have a direction to look into concerning your difficulties. :ss: