What are you currently reading?

Andi64

from Margareten
Still digging into Alistair Reynolds: Started 'House of Suns'. I liked the 'The Inhibitor Sequence' and found out just right now that there is a fourth part. Great!. Will put the 'House of Suns' back on the digital shelf and start 'Inhibitor Phase' now.

Last edited:

AquaMarie

Paladin from Texas, USA
Pronouns: she/her
"If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water."
E-book: She Who Became the Sun by Shelly Parker-Chan. I'm only 15% into it, but it's good so far.

Paper book: Harrow the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir. I'm re-reading this one before digging into the sequel. I love this series!

BravoLimaPoppa

Viking from Houston TX
Pronouns: He/him
Still working on Needle by Linda Nagata. Got a Kickstarter project that's proving to be really interesting and a distraction from the SF: There I Was When Nothing Happened by Jason Brick. Anecdotes of de-escalation by a variety of martial artists. First, the stories so far are well told and second they illustrate the principles well.
It's also the sort of book that folks here might appreciate.

SkorpionUK

Sorceress from Germany
"Building good habits"
Paper book: Harrow the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir. I'm re-reading this one before digging into the sequel. I love this series!
Yes me too!! I'm finally making progress in Nona.
I'm not big on re-reading books generally, but these are so intricate and well-written that it is actually worth it. I love Tamsyn Muir.

MissSmilla

Sorceress from Munich, Germany
"When they go low, we go high. - Michelle Obama"
@MissSmilla I have a similar problem, especially if I read in bed before sleep. So in bed I only read Harry Potter in a cycle over and over. Last night I finished the 7th and restarted the 1st. I've been doing this since the 7th came out so it's now what, 15 years? Works perfectly :happy:
I'm so glad I'm not the only one!

PetiteSheWolf

Alchemist from France
Started Truman Capote's "in cold blood" , I have to say, his writing style is mesmerizing - very clear, not judging but showing things and people... I am just in the beginning (right before the murders I think), so we'll see how it goes, but I am discovering a pen.

Ravenous

Valkyrie Posts: 8
On the cusp of finishing Harrow the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir. I already have Nona the Ninth prepped and ready from the library. I've been primarily doing audio books so I can listen while at work or working out.

Andi64

from Margareten
@Heniek Wow!
'Sacred Breath', 'Alchemical', 'Ancients', 'Eternal Life'. Quite the collection of esoteric buzzwords just on the cover. And Gandalf in his lab! Let us know when you 'access other dimensions'.

Last edited:

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
Pronouns: She/her
I think it's old but I've finished reading The Boneless Mercies by GENEVIEVE TUCHOLKE

And I finished Warrior of the Wild by TRICIA LEVENSELLER

Now I'm searching for a viking/nordic-ish fantasy book to read. Or a fantasy series that's worth it. If anyone has any suggestions please do share!

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
@Nevetharine have you read the Broken Earth trilogy? I liked it a lot.
Ohh I'll try that!

I was looking at the Malazan Book of the Fallen series but after reading some reviews I don't think it's for me. It's a super long series but it doesn't seem like there's one main character or a real continuous plot. It sounds like the author leaves a lot of things dangling for the reader to figure out.

I'm a simple minded reader I guess. I like a plot, and an obvious main character. :)

BravoLimaPoppa

Viking from Houston TX
Pronouns: He/him
A lot right now.
Finished Needle. Not sure how I feel about this one. Not sure if it's too uncompressed or about right for a pretty hard SF novel. Interesting approach to posthuman intelligences and their knowledge though.

Mating in Captivity by Esther Perel. It's been an interesting if uncomfortable read.

There Is No Antiemetics Division by qntm. One third in and it's a head trip of a book.

Grief of Stones by Katherine Addison. Grittier than previous efforts. Still, excellent work.

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
"Motivation is temporary. Discipline is forever."
Following a theme:
SAS Sniper by Rob Maylor, The World of an Elite Australian Marksman.

Anek

Sorceress from Bavaria, Germany
"If the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember Cedric Diggory."
A random one I picked up yesterday, "Good Company". It's really nice so far.

NancyTree

Valkyrie from The Netherlands
I finished book 5 of the Earth's Children series (Jean M Auel). I still like the main storyline, but some things annoy me, like the endless repetition of the same explanation. And there are some inconsistencies with the first books, which I notice now I'm reading all the books directly after each other.

Now I will try to read and finish book 6 (around 800 pages) before the end of the year. I need only 1 book to reach my year goal on Goodreads 🤓

marcuskeller

Started reading Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison. Pretty interesting for me. But now I don't have a lot of free time for reading because I need to work on my diploma. I'm writing a dissertation, which is a very complicated process, so almost all the time is dedicated to searching for materials, analyzing, and writing. With two parts of it, I used the help of https://edubirdie.com/dissertation-help because I was stuck for so long and needed help. And now, when they are ready, I can move on and finish other parts. So I hope that soon everything will be ready, and I'll have a chance to read something interesting.

Last edited:

NancyTree

Last night I finished the last book of the Earth's Children series, The Land of Painted Caves. It was dissapointing. This book contained a lot of repetitions; she tells a story when she meets other people about what she experienced in the other books, and she meets a lot of people (I re-read the same story at least 3 times).
There were a few parts I liked, and I was curious about the storyline. But I'm happy I finished. The writer should've stopped earlier in the series.

With finishing this book, I reached my reading goal for 2022 😊.
And now I can start a new book. Not sure yet what to choose next.

motionaction

Rogue from the Caribbean
Pronouns: she/her/hers
Just read The Boy, the mole, the fox and the horse by Charlie Mackesy.
Absolutely loved it!
It wasn't exactly what I was expecting ut what I ended up getting is worth so much more. Sometimes life surprises you with exactly what you need.

mavie

from germany
Just read The Boy, the mole, the fox and the horse by Charlie Mackesy.
Absolutely loved it!
It wasn't exactly what I was expecting ut what I ended up getting is worth so much more. Sometimes life surprises you with exactly what you need.
A dear friend gave that one to me for christmas and at first sight it looks beautiful. I figured that i'd need some quiet time to read it, which i did not have yet but i'm even more looking forward to it now.

Ughoji007

Paladin Posts: 107
Loads of manga,back in the old days,but these days,I only read via playing a game named choice ( the one with head of medusa on Google play store)

Andi64

from Margareten
Heaven's River No. 4 of the Bobiverse series by Dennis E. Taylor.
Almost double the pages than the other parts. Yes! Love big volumes.
So he takes it slow and also less rotation of the different 'Bobs'. The usual pop-cultural references and a lot of new tech (torus habitats!) for the fans of the notorious van Neumann probe.

AquaMarie

Paladin from Texas, USA
Non-fiction: The Boston Cooking-school Cookbook by Fannie Farmer. One of my interests is the history of food and cooking, so this book (published in 1896) is right up my alley.

Fiction: The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton. Interesting, but slow going. The narrative flips from person to person (sort of) and the timeline isn't linear, so it makes the story jerky and a bit hard for me to follow. I wanna know whodunit, though, so I'm sticking with it! :LOL:

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
I'm currently working through Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole Series. I'm on the third book in the series, The Redbreast.

Loving them, and other crime novels, so far.

Also (finally) reading the Divergent series by Veronica Roth. I want to read it because I watched the movies. But I'm not too keen on reading through the eyes of female characters these days. I guess that's because I relate better to the emotional-mellowness (is that a thing?) Of male characters. I feel like the females are just... Well, bitchy and moany a lot of times. I don't know why that is.

I tend to read two books at once, dedicating equal amounts of time to each a day.

PetiteSheWolf

Alchemist from France
Oh, so I finished Truman Capote's "in cold blood". Very very impressed with him : though there is no suspense, no who-dunnit, he describes the events, suggests the characters, in a way that really takes you.
Still with cozy mysteries, again one with the painter Magritte, in the city of Brugges this time.
And I am starting "sharp objects". I loved the TV adaptation, and from what I started, the source seems worth reading. It's this attraction and repulsion at the same time for those deeply unhealthy mother/daughter relationships. I am blessed with a healthy relationship with my parents, and that makes me appreciate even more!

Last edited:

NancyTree

@Nevetharine which book are you at? I once started the series but tuned out somewhere in book 3. I want to try again once, also to read the book Four. Some things in the movies make sense though, after reading the books, especially in the first one.

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
@Nevetharine which book are you at? I once started the series but tuned out somewhere in book 3. I want to try again once, also to read the book Four. Some things in the movies make sense though, after reading the books, especially in the first one.
The Divergent series? I've currently read all the short stories that were written from Four's view.

And then I've finished the first book. I'm reading two of Jo Nesbo's books now, and then I'll read Insurgent.

To me, the book is better than the movies, so far. But the movie wasn't bad, it was good in it's own right. Just doesn't feel like it follows the book all that much.

I've read the ones from Four's view first... Because I feel like that explains a lot about him and it's kind of where it all began.

NancyTree

@Nevetharine Would you recommend reading Four before Divergent?

The movie Divergent was pretty close to the book, but further in the series the movies get further away from the book's storyline. I think for the best, but I'm curious what you think after reading Insurgent and Allegiant.

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
@Nevetharine Would you recommend reading Four before Divergent?

The movie Divergent was pretty close to the book, but further in the series the movies get further away from the book's storyline. I think for the best, but I'm curious what you think after reading Insurgent and Allegiant.

I'll let you know when I've read them. :)

I guess I would recommend reading it that way. It gives you insight into his thoughts, especially the last book where he's with Tris. I liked reading it that way around. Besides, I've never really understood why the things that happened in the past is always in the last book of a series. 🙄

So, chronologically, it makes sense to read it that way.

I think I can't really compare the books and the movies. They each kind of follow their own vibe.

daejamurrachan

Druid from Colorado
"Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together. Marilyn Monroe"
But I'm not too keen on reading through the eyes of female characters these days. I guess that's because I relate better to the emotional-mellowness (is that a thing?) Of male characters. I feel like the females are just... Well, bitchy and moany a lot of times. I don't know why that is.
and judgy!! so judgy!! I quit reading the Wheel of Time series for this reason. Robert Jordan must have had very shallow and juvenile women in his life.

I absolutely recommend (non-fiction) American Kingpin by Nick Bilton The epic hunt for the criminal mastermind behind the Silk Road
The Silk Road was an on-line storefront for drugs that grew to include other products and services that you can't easily or legally buy from a brick and mortar store.

Current read is: (non-fiction) Three Minutes to Doomsday by Joe Navarro An agent, a traitor, and the worst espionage breach in U.S. history

Fiction read right now is Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly ... but I had to take a break because the first books were written in the early 90's when smoking wasn't reserved for the bad guys ... and it makes me want a cigarette!

Last edited:

AquaMarie

Paladin from Texas, USA
Non-fiction: How to Hug a Porcupine: Dealing with Toxic and Difficult to Love Personalities by John Lund. To be honest, I haven't started this one yet. If I'm going to read 50 nonfiction books this year, I have to tackle one a week, and this is what is on deck for this week. It's got great reviews and a clever title, so I'm looking forward to it.

Fiction: Artificial Condition by Martha Wells. I love Murderbot!

Noah526

I recently finished a book called Rich Dad, Poor Dad. It tells how a boy had two daddies, one daddy was rich and the other daddy was a teacher. After reading this book I learned a lot, so I think everyone should read it.

SkorpionUK

Sorceress from Germany
"Building good habits"
I quit reading the Wheel of Time series for this reason. Robert Jordan must have had very shallow and juvenile women in his life.
urgh, what a shame... I have these vaguely on my radar because of the recent series? film?, which I haven't seen but the write-ups made it sound interesting.
I guess I won't get to it soon, if at all.

Fiction read right now is Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly
I LOVE this series. I mean, I love a good noir anyway (except Ellroy, he annoys me), but these are just consistently high quality.

AquaMarie

Paladin from Texas, USA
Non-fiction: Kurashi at Home by Marie Kondo. I really liked her other two books. The first few pages have been intriguing (and beautiful!) so I'm interested to see how this goes.

Fiction: Two Degrees by Alan Gratz. Really, REALLY intense adventure book. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED it (I read all 350 pages in one sitting, and it has a really important message and fantastically clever title), but still: :whaa:.

Update on How to Hug a Porcupine: Good book with some great advice, but the writing style was a little to all-or-nothing, my-way-is-the-only-way for my taste. I'll probably revisit it at some point to sort what I think will work for me from what won't.

Chris

I'm reading World of Warcraft. This book is based on the game World of Warcraft. It is very interesting especially for those who play this game. But now I change my games. I like spin and win. It is an exciting game offered by Parimatch. It involves spinning a virtual wheel with various rewards and prizes. Players can place their bets on different outcomes and spin the wheel to test their luck. With its engaging gameplay and potential for big wins, Spin and Win provides an entertaining and thrilling experience for players.

Last edited:

Anek

Sorceress from Bavaria, Germany
"If the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember Cedric Diggory."
Currently reading "Shrines of Gaiety", I love Kate Atkinson.