Yoga Team

Heniek

Warrior Monk Posts: 170
"Go Henry - Live, lift, learn and grow - Never quit - Dave Draper"
It was too cold to do yoga outside
A few winters back at Shangrila Yoga after an indoor class wearing tank top and shorts looked out the window, the outside deck studio has the canvas roof cover taken off and there was 6 inches of snow. I couldn't resist going out there in bare feet for some standing poses and downward dog movement. Then did some Tai Chi Chuan, it felt amazing and I became very happy. My apartment building has a large green area in front, also in shorts and tank top went out for Tai Chi Chuan but did wear me Converse high tops.

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
"Striving to be the change."
A few winters back at Shangrila Yoga after an indoor class wearing tank top and shorts looked out the window, the outside deck studio has the canvas roof cover taken off and there was 6 inches of snow. I couldn't resist going out there in bare feet for some standing poses and downward dog movement. Then did some Tai Chi Chuan, it felt amazing and I became very happy. My apartment building has a large green area in front, also in shorts and tank top went out for Tai Chi Chuan but did wear me Converse high tops.
I have done yoga in the snow too--but only standing poses, and definitely with shoes on.! And a coat. And long pants. Gloves too. I'm no polar bear!

Heniek

Warrior Monk Posts: 170
"Go Henry - Live, lift, learn and grow - Never quit - Dave Draper"
I have done yoga in the snow too--but only standing poses, and definitely with shoes on.! And a coat. And long pants. Gloves too. I'm no polar bear!
I had read and watched videos about Wim Hoff the Iceman, also I worked for a builder a spent a lot of time out in the cold Ontario winters.

Nevetharine

Commando from Prometheus Cloud Galaxy
Pronouns: She/her
I'm really struggling to figure out what my long-term workout strategy should be. You know, the one I need to keep up until I'm 90 - if I don't get hit in the head by a drunken pigeon and die of brain bleeding before that.

There's a couple of things I know I should do, strength training is one. But I just don't want to. I don't like doing it in the traditional sense so much, squats, lunges etc. anymore.

So okay, yoga it is. But now I'm wondering, should I confine the power routines to Thrice a week, for the whole body?

Or would it be better to find classes that target specific groups of the body and rather do 5 power yoga classes a week? But then, what areas specifically do I need to find videos for?

I know I'm overcomplicating this. And it often leads to not doing anything whatsoever. Or doing it for a day and then stopping because suddenly it's not good enough anymore and I need to do something that's "better". Which also ends up not being enough, and then we keep going around that cycle. Blah. Why???

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
I know I'm overcomplicating this.

Yup. You've said both your goal and your challenge is long-term adherence. So pick the schedule that's going to be easiest/most enjoyable for you to stick to.

When I was teaching BodyFlow I did the same 60-minute class (approximately: 5-minutes Tai Chi, 10-minutes Pilates, 35-minutes power yoga, 10-minutes meditation) every day, sometimes two or three times in the same day. I kept this up for 3 years, during which time I was also running competitively (competing in 10-12 middle distance--i.e.: 5K and 10K-- road races per year), and doing a considerable amount of hiking and biking as my sole means of transportation. This likely isn't the ideal training schedule for a competitive power lifter, but it worked great for me. If your goal is general health and happiness, and your body is conditioned to be able to handle working out every day, it is perfectly fine to do full-body bodyweight strength training every day.

Choose classes/instructors/styles of yoga that you enjoy, first and foremost. Do these classes as often as you want to. See how it goes. If you feel that parts of your body are being overworked and/or undertrained, adjust your schedule accordingly. It doesn't need to be complicated at all.

PetiteSheWolf

Alchemist from France
Hello all. I am pondering getting back into more yoga next year. For background, I will still definitly go to the gym for a yoga class/week (good teacher, corrects us well), as well as a bodybuilding class (BodyPump), and probably a light aquagym.
I am thinking of adding yoga , about 20 minutes, more days in the week. I "know" on youtube channels Adrienne, Bird, Bad Yogi and Eckhart. Oh, I also like a lot DownDog yoga. I used to be at Yoga International too (the month-long July practice was from one of their programs) but they had such a price hike I ... hesitate to get back.
But ... how do you contruct a coherent practice from those different sources - that the different days complete each other ? Any other resource?

ETA : my main goals would be working on my balance, as well as keep knee well-protected and core strong. Hope it may help!

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
Hello all. I am pondering getting back into more yoga next year. For background, I will still definitly go to the gym for a yoga class/week (good teacher, corrects us well), as well as a bodybuilding class (BodyPump), and probably a light aquagym.
I am thinking of adding yoga , about 20 minutes, more days in the week. I "know" on youtube channels Adrienne, Bird, Bad Yogi and Eckhart. Oh, I also like a lot DownDog yoga. I used to be at Yoga International too (the month-long July practice was from one of their programs) but they had such a price hike I ... hesitate to get back.
But ... how do you contruct a coherent practice from those different sources - that the different days complete each other ? Any other resource?

ETA : my main goals would be working on my balance, as well as keep knee well-protected and core strong. Hope it may help!

For balance training I like this routine. (It's also great core work and will strengthen your legs to protect your knees!) ;)

With YouTube videos you pretty much need to do the work yourself of hunting around for what's there to put together a suitable schedule, although some channels have useful playlists. In addition to the ones you've mentioned, I like Kino MacGregor. Kino is strong on technique and cueing and has a lot of content on YouTube. She does talk quickly, but I know you have lived in the States so I'm thinking could handle her. She has some YouTube playlists that might be useful for what you are looking for too, such as Quick Yoga Core and 20 Minute Yoga. I also like Patrick Beach and Carling Harps. (I prefer Carling's teaching style, and most of the videos on their YouTube channel feature Patrick, but they are both strong teachers.) It doesn't look like they've posted anything new to YouTube in a while, but they have some good content there, including a good selection of core-focussed classes with Patrick.

The sites behind paywalls are generally easier to navigate re: finding content geared to a specific focus due to their class search functions. I use Yoga Download these days. The advertised price for their full access pass is US$120 per year but they frequently run sales. (I pay only US$60 per year, and my subscription renews at that rate. I think I got that offer through signing up for one of their free challenges, which they run periodically.) I like YD for its wide variety of classes with solid content and also its class search functions, which make it easy to search for what I want on any given day. Under the "STYLE" filter you can select "FREE CLASSES" to check out some of their content and see if it's a good fit for you. If you find a class that you like you can use the "VIEW ALL CLASSES" link at the bottom of the right-hand column to view all classes they have by that instructor, so you can see if the instructor(s) you like have a lot of content on the site or only a few classes. The annual subscription also allows one to download classes for offline viewing, which is often helpful for me.