No abs? 🤔

jeremyjr

50 years old, 178 cm, 75 kg.
Can't seem to do situps or crunches. Simply can't get up. First, how is this even possible?? Second, what can I do?
Thanks

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
"Motivation is temporary. Discipline is forever."
Don't worry - there are lots of other ways of strengthening your core. What can you do? If you can do planks, they are great for working that core. If you can't, perhaps you might try something like dead bugs (I love them - possibly the name...) or toe taps. Whatever you do, start slowly and gently. If your core is weak, you can easily damage your back, especially if you rush into things. Can you do push-ups? Even wall push-ups are good at strengthening the core. There are so many ways, but without knowing exactly where you are, what you are currently doing, what you can do, it's difficult to advise more. But I hope this helps.

PetiteSheWolf

Alchemist from France
@TopNotch has good points. I have problems with sit-ups that are part neck sensitivity, part back stiffness, so hugs, you're not alone. But you can still do bugs, windshield wipers, leg raises / alternate leg raises and so on. Planks, push ups.

May I suggest you take a look at the abs challenges (go to challenges, use the filter for "abs" only, and pick one that's with exercises you can manage). Sometimes the last days on the challenges are, well... challenges, but if worst comes to worst, you can stop the increases some time during the challenge and continue for 30 days. Maybe that'll put you on the way for situps and crunches, who knows!

Last edited:

jeremyjr

Thanks for the suggestions and the support!

Though I do have a desk job I wouldn't say I'm inactive. Throughout my life I've always done some physical activity but with long (long!) pauses between the various phases (biking, hiking, swimming, running). Nowadays I have two small kids (6 and 2) and really feel the fatigue at the end of the day! Also, being an old dad I want to do what I can to stay active and well as my kids grow.

I'm not new to Darebee. Just after COVID I was running every other day and exercising with the Foundation program. Kept it up for a few months. But now it's been a while since I've done any physical activity and for me it's always a challenge to get back to it 😄

jeremyjr

😄🔥
Get your wife to hold your legs and give you a kiss for each sit-up . . .

depositphotos_211512914-stock-photo-strong-man-do-situps-kissing.jpg
. . . you just need a little motivation.

Nitrous828

Jedi from United States
"May The Force Be With You!"
Thanks for the suggestions and the support!

Though I do have a desk job I wouldn't say I'm inactive. Throughout my life I've always done some physical activity but with long (long!) pauses between the various phases (biking, hiking, swimming, running). Nowadays I have two small kids (6 and 2) and really feel the fatigue at the end of the day! Also, being an old dad I want to do what I can to stay active and well as my kids grow.

I'm not new to Darebee. Just after COVID I was running every other day and exercising with the Foundation program. Kept it up for a few months. But now it's been a while since I've done any physical activity and for me it's always a challenge to get back to it 😄

Hello @jeremyjr

you got great advice about the abs workout from other users, I cannot add to that, but I would like to shed some light on another side which will help a lot!

I kind of have a similar situation here, I got a 5 and 2 year old's I'm in my mid 40's 178cm 65kg and also got into darebee during the corvid 2020 but I did that for a year then life got in the way and I also recently came back to it... one thing that stuck with me during that time was the diet, I cannot stress enough how crucial it is for controlling your weight, preserving your muscles and staying healthy, they do have excellent diet plans here for vegans/vegetarians and meat lovers I would highly recommend you stick to one of them, they also have a lot of healthy and tasty recipes if your not sure what to cook, the key is to have 5-6 healthy meals/snacks per day which will help rise your fat burning process and help your body recover better after workouts, I hope that helps! good luck!

brucezubaa