Pole Dance Prep: Stretches and Exercises

Sólveig

Pirate from Cabudare - Venezuela
Pronouns: She/Her
"Ars longa, vita brevis"
Hello, Bees! I've been digging into this for a while, but it wasn't until this year that I decided to take the step forward. While I don't have a pole just yet, I am looking to prepare myself for it, and I'm doing research on different exercises I could do, as well as stretches. The reason I'm asking for help is two-fold:

1. From DAREBEE workouts, programs, and challenges, what are your suggestions? I am thinking about doing the Yoga programs and Unbound once again, but I'd like to broaden my horizons.
  2. I'm researching outside the site, and found this blog entry for suggested stretches. My question is about stretches 2, 6, 7, and 10. Is there an alternative to the strap and the pole, or alternate stretches that remove the equipment?

Deadoks

Viking from Belgium
"Berserker"
The first picture of your link made me nearly feint. I'm such not a strechy person :-D

The 7 you do this easily with the foot of a table.
The 3 other if you have an old t-shirt or a bath towel you can do it with that easily.
No need to buy just use what you have.

Take care

PetiteSheWolf

Alchemist from France
An old belt from an old bathrobe / nightrobe could serve for the exercises with strap? And for 7, instead of the pole, as you need something sturdy to push/pull toward and from, a heavy chair that won't budge if you push/pull reasoanably ? (try adding an encyclopedia on the chair in case ;) - only half joking)

Sólveig

Pirate from Cabudare - Venezuela
Pronouns: She/Her
"Ars longa, vita brevis"
The first picture of your link made me nearly feint. I'm such not a strechy person :-D

Don't worry, neither I am. I can change that, though. I already proved myself that I can!

The 7 you do this easily with the foot of a table.
The 3 other if you have an old t-shirt or a bath towel you can do it with that easily.
No need to buy just use what you have.

Take care

An old belt from an old bathrobe / nightrobe could serve for the exercises with strap? And for 7, instead of the pole, as you need something sturdy to push/pull toward and from, a heavy chair that won't budge if you push/pull reasoanably ?

I do have an old leather belt somewhere, but using a towel is something I considered. @oneironaut also suggested me to do Number 2 (he he, number 2) standing and putting a leg somewhere high, like a chair or the trunk of a tree.

For the pole replacement, I might use my stairs railing... unless I clutter my desk with heavy stuff.

(try adding an encyclopedia on the chair in case ;) - only half joking)

I have a three-volume encyclopedia about teaching that weighs 5 kgs in total, and I used it as weight for Goblet Squats before. Not even joking.

Thank you for the suggestions, I'm still welcoming more answers and extra tips, especially with related workouts.

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
"Striving to be the change."
  1. I'm researching outside the site, and found this blog entry for suggested stretches. My question is about stretches 2, 6, 7, and 10. Is there an alternative to the strap and the pole, or alternate stretches that remove the equipment?
#2 can be done with pretty much anything that is long enough to reach around your foot. A strap, towel, belt, sock, neck tie, scarf, whatever. You can also just hold your leg with your hand. Hold your toes if you can reach. If not, hold onto your calf wherever you can reach. Hamstring stretches can be done seated and standing as well. (A seated or standing forward fold will do it.)

#6 is the seated hamstring stretch I referred to above. Again: whatever tool enables you to reach your feet is fine. Or just hand on with your hands wherever they reach to. If you cannot reach your toes with your hands (in either position) you can increase the stretch on your calves by actively dorsiflexing your feet (pulling your toes towards your face).

#7 doesn't require any kind of prop. You can put your hands on the floor in front of you and just pull on the floor.

#10 is the same deal as with all the other strap substitutes, except you need a strap that's long enough to enable you to complete the motion.

Edit to add: I just read @DorothyMH 's log and was reminded that you can also do #10 with a stiff prop, like a broom handle.

1. From DAREBEE workouts, programs, and challenges, what are your suggestions? I am thinking about doing the Yoga programs and Unbound once again, but I'd like to broaden my horizons.

Pole dancing is a lot more about strength than flexibility. Sure, a hyper-flexible body is necessary to create the aesthetic lines you may desire, and it does to some degree reduce the amount of muscular force necessary to pull your body into some of the positions. But mostly what you need is abdominal and hip flexor strength. I would concentrate on the exercises in this chart. Things like wipers, leg raises, L-sits, and V-ups are all the floor work equivalent of pole moves. But really anything on that chart would be great prep for pole dancing.

For yoga I would think any of the arm balances that call for straightening one or both legs would be great prep. I would suggest particularly:

Eight Angle
Elephant Trunk
Firefly
Flying Man
Revolved Flying Man
Grasshopper
Peacock
Flying Pigeon
Side Crow with extended legs
Flying Crow
Flying Lizard (I haven't tried this one myself. But it looks like it would be great if you can do it!)

All of the above poses will help you work on the flexibility and strength you need for pole dancing at the same time--which is how you'll need to use those attributes on the pole.

DAREBEE has a workout aimed specifically at training for L-sits:

That one would definitely be helpful.

Good luck with your training! I think this would be a challenging but also very fun journey!

Last edited: