Question about substituting normal and reverse lounges

BeastOfCydonia

Berserker from Hungary
I hope I post this in the right place...

So first of all, a bit of context.
I am a morbidly obese guy, I'm about 400-410 pounds. I changed my diet a year ago and my weight slowly started dripping off (I was more when I started the diet change) and now I feel like it's time to accelerate the process and do more, so I started walking, I have an hour walk every day split in two, one in the morning and one after work. Then I found this site and I felt like this could be the thing I need in my life, so I decided that every evening I will work out.

I started with the Foundation program today and I want to complete the whole 30 day course and then move to other things but... I looked at the Day 2 excercise and I saw Reverse Lunges. I looked at the video in the excercise library and tried to do it to try it out and my knees just can't handle it. The same with normal lunges. I looked through foundation and I felt like these two are the only ones I will not be able to do.

BUT...

I don't want to leave an excercise slot out and I was looking for something that could take the place of Lunges and Reverse Lunges until I reach a weight or strength where I can do it and I'm looking for ideas and input from people who know so much more about these things. So if you can, and you have the time to add your two cents to the topic, I would be more than thankful!

(Also, sorry for my english, I'm not a native speaker)

murina

You can try squats, step-ups, leg press, wall sit

What about the complexity of these exercises - you can modify the exercises to make them easier or more challenging, depending on your fitness level.

And classically, start with bodyweight exercises and add weight as you get stronger.

guibo94

Gladiator from New Asgard
"Silent but deadly."
Congrats on your progress so far! I just wanted to add that you could try doing the lunges, but just not all the way down. Maybe just try partial lunges until your legs get stronger and slowly build up to a full lunge. In other words, go as deep as you can while still feeling comfortable and stable, and with a tiny bit of challenge and after few weeks you can try little deeper.

There is a Foundation Light 30-day program (that does not have lunges) that you could try instead - since you are only on day 2 of Foundation.

Good luck and keep up the great work!

Hops_Lifts

Ranger from Tampa, FL
Pronouns: he/him
Welcome to the journey! I recently joined in the DAREBEE fun and am enjoying it so far.

I would echo some of the advice above by trying other movements which exercise the same muscles, especially step ups.

I too have bad knees and had to go to PT because I have an issue with my patellum not tracking right. Everyone is different, but as you try other movements, you can try strengthening the muscles connected to your knees using moves like:
  • Clam Shells
  • Calf Raises
  • Leg Raises while lying on the ground
  • Wall Sits
There are also great low-impact options for strengthening legs and knees:
  • Cycling
  • Elliptical
  • Air Bikes
  • Walking (like you're already doing!) :)
  • Rowing
I hope some of this helps!

Clyde69

from Frankfurt, Germany
"Warming up the engine"
Best advice: Darebee is best served in little nibbles on can handle.

Start slow, but do it on a regular base. You're not alone, had the exact same problem with lunges, both forward and reverse, and with side lunges still btw :D But it's getting better with every cycle, and after a few weeks doing a mix of lower-body excercises every other day, I'm finally able to reach the ground without pain.

Booster2442

Paladin from Georgia, USA
Pronouns: They/Them
"Deeds will not be less valiant because they are unpraised."
Personally lunges for me are hard on my knees. I tend to always have a chair i can hold onto or just prop my foot up a step and do an assisted lunge. you can do supported lunges, and go as far as you feel comfortable or you can substitute them with squats, step ups or maybe some basic marching.