A Revolutionary Ranger's Training Log in the Age of Zombie Capitalism

Al Raven

Ranger from Switzerland
Pronouns: he/him
Going good! I hope you are doing well too!
I'm pretty good, just the usual frustrations/tiredness because of work (aka capitalist alienation/Entfremdung) you know...
I'm in a transition period personally/professionnally, so it's both kinda exciting and a bit stressful/etc^^ Working out and stretching definitely help relaxing and staying in a good mood/mental space...

Al Raven

Ranger from Switzerland
Physio wkt done, completely exhausted/knackered...
It's a circuit with 4 exercises, I do three sets with only 1min rest in between:
  1. Bulgarian squats 10 reps per leg
  2. *mystery physio exercise* 10 reps per leg
  3. (my personal nemesis) Banded lateral crab walk over ~5 meters: I'm supposed to do 10 back-and-forths, but I basically want to die after 4 or 5 rounds.... 😭
  4. 10 jump squats (at home so without a box, which I'd use if I was at the gym)
The second exercise is nothing I've ever seen so it's pretty hard to describe lol:
  • you're on the floor, with arms behind like in a crab walk, more or less like this:
View attachment 2492
  • but with your working leg (i.e. the one moving), you're standing on your heel (with ball of the foot and toes pointing toward the sky...), and during the move you keep the other leg off the floor
  • and the move is basically to roll/slide back and forth on that working leg, extending it and bending/flexing it...
  • To be honest the physio has explained me how to do it a couple of times but I'm still not sure I'm getting it right, esp. because it's not really hard whereas he seemed to imply it would be....
Afterwards, I'm supposed to do two low-intensity exercises but I could only do one. Again it's a bit weird, but here's my best attempt at describing it:
  • I use an ankle weight on on the working leg
  • starting position is a lunge (the bottom position): working leg = knee on the floor, non-working leg is forward (i.e. lunge)
  • The exercise is to move that bottom/working/leg up and over a small object (length of a dumbbell or a bit smaller, basically)
  • Then you also rotate your ankle on each side, like in the pic below (basically when you touch the floor on each side, instead of keeping the foot/ankle straight you rotate it... FFS how am I supposed to describe this lol!!!)
View attachment 2493

Anyone has a) understood any of my attempted/poor descriptions for the these two unnamed physio exercises, b) any idea what they're called?
Did the physio wkt again, it's just exhausting/extra hard

Froud

Warrior Monk from Brussels
I'm pretty good, just the usual frustrations/tiredness because of work (aka capitalist alienation/Entfremdung) you know...
I'm in a transition period personally/professionnally, so it's both kinda exciting and a bit stressful/etc^^ Working out and stretching definitely help relaxing and staying in a good mood/mental space...
That sounds like a plan! I fully understand you. My partner and I are in the same-ish transition!
Stress can be a good driver is it does not go berserk!

Forza!

Al Raven

Ranger from Switzerland
I still have to do the knee/rehab workouts, but I'm considering starting some darebee programs.
  1. Express Tone
  2. Hard Reset Strength // Hard Rest Cardio
I'm not gonna presume I can complete #1 in October and #2 in November, because narcolepsy means it's hard for me to do consistent daily training for several weeks. Also, as I said, I still have to do knee/rehab workouts bcz unfortunately it's still not fully recovered. Lastly, I generally prefer giving myself the freedom to do/try sth else if I want to. I'll complete the program, but not in 30 days... #2 is not for now, but I like the idea of it after doing #1.

Last edited:

Al Raven

Ranger from Switzerland
Express Tone day 2 completed (I used a 12kg kettlebell)

Leave Me Alone I Give Up GIF by THE NEXT STEP

Al Raven

Ranger from Switzerland
Today's workout = modified Express Tone day 6
5 sets (~3min rest in between):
  1. Box jumps to failure, box height = 60cm
  2. Deadlifts 2 reps @ 90kg (barbell)
  3. Goblet squats to failure @ 12.5kg (dumbbell)
  4. 10 single leg deadlifts (5 reps each side) @ 10kg (dumbbell)
Good workout!

Al Raven

Ranger from Switzerland
Today's workout = modified Express Tone day 6
5 sets (~3min rest in between):
  1. Box jumps to failure, box height = 60cm
  2. Deadlifts 2 reps @ 90kg (barbell)
  3. Goblet squats to failure @ 12.5kg (dumbbell)
  4. 10 single leg deadlifts (5 reps each side) @ 10kg (dumbbell)
Good workout!
This was really fun to be honest... Went to the gym early, and I enjoyed mixing equipment/moves like that: one explosive + agility-demanding move (box jumps), one heavy compound lift (deadlift; + grip strength); goblet squats are one of my top favorite types of lower body/leg exercise + it's after two pretty demanding moves so already tired, and the single-leg deadlifts close it up nicely.
Always fascinating how the body react to different exercises, muscles/muscle-groups being activated, constraints or added difficulties/things (like having to do an exercise when the body is already tired from previous heavy/explosive/to failure moves).
Single-leg deadlifts with one ~10kg dumbbell in and of themselves don't look like much of a challenge or hard exercise, but doing them at the end of a set (and precisely after already working the same muscle groups) makes it pretty tough in their own way... Also I guess it involves hamstring strength which is likely not the strongest part of my lower body (or more than just "strength", the neuromuscular demands involved in that exercise, i.e. I don't do moves like that very often and haven't done so over the past few years, so when I do it even at lower weights/intensity, it's a bit awkward and challenging)

Al Raven

Ranger from Switzerland
Funnily enough, the only soreness that I have right now is abs/midsection (despite specifically not doing any ab wkt - tbh that's part of why I don't really do those, I don't really care aesthetically and in terms of core strength it's already exercised/trained while doing other wkts/moves e.g. anytime you lift weights, move weights/objects around, etc)

Al Raven

Ranger from Switzerland
Today's wkt: mix between physio wkt and Express Tone day 8 (and some pushups)
3 sets:
  1. Amap pushups (but don't go too hard)
  2. Bulgarian squats, 10 per leg (with or without jump, we'll see)
  3. Banded crab walk (I hate it but gotta do it for my fucking knee)
  4. 10 jump squats
  5. 80 side leg raises (40 per leg)
Afterwards I got a couple more low-intensity/low-impact physio/rehab exercises. And I'll probably do some (full body) stretching

Al Raven

Ranger from Switzerland
Today's wkt = modified Express Tone day 10
5 sets of:
  1. forward lunges to failure, with 12kg kettlebell
  2. one-legged squats, each leg (no specific #)
  3. bulgarian split squats, each leg (no specific #)
  4. single leg deadlift, 10 reps (5 reps each side), with 12kg kettlebell
+ (underhand) pullups throughout the day (~hourly)

Al Raven

Ranger from Switzerland
Again, for day 18 I'm not gonna do the exact workout, I'm modifying it based on my needs and wants.
So that still means 5 sets etc, but here are the exercises and reps:
  1. bulgarian split squats each leg ~10 per leg (back foot is on a chair, no jump, I'll try to hold some weight if possible)
  2. movnat-style split squats, few steps back and forth SLOWLY, with 12kg kettlebell (this image is from a video, I'm not doing the balancing thing)
    1. 1697962468664.jpeg
  3. banded crab walk (kill me), to failure basically (it's one of those things where I feel like any amount is "to failure" lmao)
  4. 10 single led deadlifts (w/ dumbbell), 5 per side (light exercise)
  5. weird physio exercise, 30-40 reps per side (light exercise)
I may also do some (turning and side) kicks (#3), but maybe it's too much...

Last edited:

Al Raven

Ranger from Switzerland
Day 19 completed! For three sets I used two 10kg (10.5, to be exact) dumbbells, which was an increase from what I've used so far in this program (7.9kg, and 9.2kg); then two last sets I used the 7.9kg ones.
I'm looking good, clearly got a bit stronger (and arms bigger, also traps noticeably lol) since the start of the program:tude:

1698074232783.jpeg

Al Raven

Ranger from Switzerland
I think it's kinda important to note sth, it's only a note about my personal "journey" but it seems relevant. Because of narcolepsy, and specifically how I probably got it when I was a kid (i.e. an auto-immune reaction, no way to know from/after what but we found an excess of antibodies, presumably against streptococcal tonsillitis but I actually didn't have the symptoms so who knows the origin, it's not really relevant lol), I've struggled most of my life with "overeating", binge eating, overnight eating (especially), and weight issues (though not obesity, I've been so-called "overweight" at times, though I'm honestly not a fan of this term...). I still do, but since one or two years ago things have changed significantly, partly because of some exercise but actually mainly because of a mental/mindset shift.
I've never had "extreme" levels of struggle/suffering with my self-esteem or specifically body image/perception (I empathize with folks who have had worst pain and suffering, it luckily never got "too bad" for me), but of course because of this constant eating problem it's been tough to feel healthy and good about my body shape/about how I look. Narcolepsy (and any form of insomnia/sleep or energy health issue) are known to provoke this because if fucks up the daily physiological and sleep/wake cycles/rythm, but in my case the auto-immune thing is even more relevant because it most likely also attacked the part of the brain that regulate appetite and js the same that takes care of circadian rythms and sleep cycles (and the hormones that we need to sleep, for instance), namely the hypothalamus (in fact I was lucky that we found out and could stop it before it continued, it could have done even worse damage obviously).

So, basically since I was a teen I've been trying to get fitter and stronger because a) I enjoy sports/exercise, b) I like improving my physical abilites, regardless of how I look and so on..., but for years I never managed to reach a "body shape" that I really felt good about. At some point I (rightly imo) started not caring much about body shape or belly fat and so on, what I wanted was to feel good physically, be healthy, strong, etc. That's probably why I never fell into massive body image/self esteem issues, because I was satisfied and felt good generally speaking.
But one thing never went away, and still remains, because as I said I've tried for almost a decade to fight it but it's partly physiological. It's the eating issues, to be precise the hardest is overnight (and more broadly this period: late evening-sleeping hours (for normal ppl lol)-early morning and breakfast) eating because for the most part the daily eating is okay, though it could be better (more greens, more balanced, less "comfort food"..).

A few years ago (I'm now almost 25yo), maybe one or two I don't really know, I started for the first time actually LIKING how I looked (body shape and evrth), but it didn't have a lot to do with aesthetics-based or weight loss/etc workouts... I think it probably played a part insofar as doing weightlifting for a while (first with the "Starting Strength" program maybe three or four years ago or more, then as some ppl might know from the old Hive log, I did deadlifts and squats at my new gym when I started using it about a year ago). But frankly, since I played a lot of football/soccer as a kid and early teen, I've been quite strong and relatively big in terms of lower body for most of my life, so it didn't stand out to me lol... So basically in the past few years (2 to 3 years, let's say) for the FIRST TIME in my life I'd look in the mirror and actually "identify" and enjoy how I looked. I'm not really tall (179.5cm or 5'10''), and for a while now (again timeline is not sth I remember, but at least 5-7 years) I've been in the 90's in kg/200's-210's in lbs (right now ~92kg/202lbs but it did went as high as 97/98 kg/216lb at some point).

But the thing is that the numbers really don't matter that much (ofc they always do in some way, but not for what I'm talking about here) since a) self-image/feelings (whether positive or negative) about one's own body is a psychological and sociocultural phenomenon, it's NOT about the actual bodyweight... b) although there are potential health issues after a certain threshold of gaining weight (esp. "obesity", then again I'm sure we could question and discuss some of the dehumanizing connotations that exist around this notion), one thing I wished was addressed A LOT MORE in fitness-oriented spaces is that health, welness, happiness aren't linearly tied to being thinner, slimmer, etc... What I mean is that clearly, it's far more complicated than the common belief/prejudice that "rounder/bigger/fatter people = automatically unhealthy, unattractive, unhappy, etc." (these are different things, but also interconnected) I'm not knowledgeable enough to go into specifics, I'm sure on one hand health risks/issues definitely increase when ppl reach certain ranges of weight, I suspect it's more specific than a general absolute law though (i.e. it depends on how balanced or unbalanced your eating is, if you're physically active, and then there's all the psychological and sociocultural stuff which is even more messy). But I also know how much rounder, bigger people are dehumanized in modern society (esp. in the West), esp. women and girls.

Sorry, got sidetracked. Back to me, this whole overnight (and general) eating issue is sth I've tried to "fix" for most of my life now, despite knowing it was tied to my physiology/"disease", I still felt really bad about it. And it's always the same, it goes up and down throughout the weeks and months. A couple of days without overnight eating, then a bunch it happens again, then I try again, and so on. It's been like this for years and I've kept again and again trying to "solve it" for good. But recently I've just come to peace with it, and honestly it's even simpler than that: it might look and feel unhealthy as a regular thing, but I've realized that for the most part, over the past 4-5 years I've always been healthy (it's probably also tied to be a young adult male, to be fair... I know we're unfairly advantaged in some ways compared to older folks and also women re: weight loss).
And in conclusion, the process of feeling good about my body - both functionally and aesthetically - has largely been a psychological and self-therapeutic thing for me. Realizing that I'm okay, that I'm not ugly, that I actually feel good about who I am and how I look, then in the past year I've only felt better and better as I started working out more again (after a break) but I don't think it's the muscle-building that's the most important. It's just a bonus!!

Al Raven

Ranger from Switzerland
Yesterday I did day 21, and today I'm doing my modified version of day 22 (to include the knee rehab exercises)
I'm doing it now so it was great knowing you all, death is upon me... (basically I'm doing 3 sets of bulgarian split squats then lunges (w/ kettlebell) to failure, then banded crab walk then 10 jump squats, with 1min rest)

Al Raven

Ranger from Switzerland
I gotta say, the minute I'll have regular income I'll definitely give sth to support darebee, it's just amazing what this team and website has done for the past decade...
In fact - I think it was started around 2013 maybe? - I've used it, enjoyed it, learned from and through it, (and then when the hive got created enjoyed the community aspect and so on) for almost half of my lifetime lol (I'm almost 25, was born in 1998 so in a couple of years it'll be literally half of my life haha).
Beyond being super grateful for the team who've made it what it is as well as the community, I really think there's so much to learn and take away from a political/radical standpoint.
I think so much stuff (indeed the majority of human and social life) in modern society doesn't need and shouldn't be done to make money (i.e. the M-C-M' (or more accurately M-C...P...C'-M') process/logic of capital that defines/structures/rules/destroys our world), it should be done as an end in itself and without the constant vampiric mediation/alienation of value/money/capitalist market/capital accumulation. Humans already do countless things with zero monetary gain or aim (for instance everything that you do for your friends, partners, children, neighbors, elders/parents, all the volunteering in the world too!); indeed some of the most beautiful and powerful things aren't "economic" in that bourgeois/capitalist sense...
I've always been in awe at the passion, dedication, quality and so on of the Darebee team (and community). Even if they'd done only half of the things they created/made oveer the past decade, it would still be invaluable! I think projects like Darebee show what society could look like if it wasn't so deeply fucked up and built on fundamentally inhuman/oppressive structures (I won't talk about it here, I have my own blog and I know it's not really the place for this)
So far I've not secured a stable/sustainable income, but I hope that'll change within a year or sth (then I 100% will be supporting darebee w/ a certain amount monthly^^)

Hope everyone's good, I'm sorry I can't engage more with people's own training logs etc... I want to do it more but my energy is very limited and being on multiple social media/online things simultaneously means I struggle to interact with everyone
(Also if you're interested in my political/critical writings and things - and in discussing non-training/health-related stuff with me - please let me know^^)

With respect to training, I have two days left to do in the Express Tone program! As I said at the start, I can't really do things nonstop everyday for more than a week, so I have to take my time, but that's alright!