Beginner - Gotta Start Somewhere

Selene_Ragnarok

Mercenary from Pennsylvania
Pronouns: She/Her
I'm relatively new to fitness - I've worked out a few times over the years but it was usually just a generic workout plan with no specific goal in mind or a part of the body to focus on. The exercises here seem very promising but my question to anyone here who would be willing to assist: how does one meal prep? I'm 180lbs- 82kg and I'm 5'0 - 152cm. Do you plan for the entire week? Every few days? Is it one meal prepped or all three- breakfast, lunch, and dinner prepped?

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
"Striving to be the change."
Welcome @Selene_Ragnarok !

I second @Andi64 's suggestion to check out the Kitchen sub-forum. You will find lots of discussion there on different approaches to food prep and planning.
Also check out DAREBEE's sister site, DAREBEETS.com . You will find lots of great healthy recipes there, many of which are suitable for batch cooking.

As a general rule: the more meals you prepare for yourself, the healthier your diet will be. (Restaurant food, fast food, and ready-made meals you find in the grocery store tend to be loaded with sugar, salt, and fat and are deliberately designed to make you crave more of them, which often leads to over-eating.)

I personally prepare all of my own meals. To facilitate this, I cook my food in large batches. Then I portion it up, and I freeze some of them. This enables me to cook on the days when I have time to do so, and to grab ready-made (by me!) meals on the days when I don't. It also enables me to mix-and-match my meals, so I don't have to eat the same thing every day for a week just because that's what I cooked that week. But it's important to note: I work from home, and I set my own hours. This makes it a lot easier for me to eat only homemade! When I was working two jobs for other people, running around all over the city to work at their locations and on their schedules, I was not able to eat only homemade food. But I did the best I could. Batch cooking was imperative back then to enable me to eat homemade as much as I did.

The most important thing is to work with a plan which is sustainable for you. I would suggest looking at what you are doing now. Ask yourself:

How much of my own meal prep am I doing now?
How much time can I realistically make to do more?
When/on what days can I make that time?
How much food can I realistically prepare during that time?

Then plan accordingly.

Meal prep doesn't need to be all-or-nothing. Any gains you can make towards a healthier diet are good gains.