Difficulty with HIIT?

bigfish

I don't know why, but I find it really hard to exercise without counting. I tried to do today's workout of the day, but lost focus after a round and a half. I don't think it was just raising my heart rate that was hard, I have some problem with doing something for a set amount of time. I find it easier to do 10 of one exercise, 10 of another, repeat, etc. for a minute than just one thing for a set amount of time. Any advice for not being so focused on counting?

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
"“Keep an eye on the staircases. They like to change.” Percy Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."
I usually time how many repetitions I do of each exercise in the time frame foreseen by the workout, so after the first set I already know when to change the exercise in the following ones even without a timer :)
What makes a workout a HIIT is the maximum effort for those exercises in that period of time, if you count or follow the timer nothing changes, as long as you keep the effort constant for that time.
Even when I follow the timer for a HIIT workout in my head I always keep in mind how many repetitions I do in that given time so that I can make sure I maintain the same level of effort.

SwimMeow

Pirate from Italy
Pronouns: She/Her
"“Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, but Today is a Gift.” (Grand Master Oogway)"
Hi @bigfish ! When I go for a HIIT workout or program, sometimes I prefer to use an interval timer app, so I study the workout before, i edit the workout on the app, with prepare/rest/workout intervals, what exercise I have to do,...and I find it easier to focus on the task, thanks to different sounds and colors, with the timer filling the whole screen. I don't know if this makes sense to you, or if this could help you to focus on the maximum effort rather than counting. Good luck with your workouts!