My Bright Lines of Fitness

JohnStrong

Commando from Alberta
"No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates"
What is a Bright Line? It's a clearly defined line you do not cross; an easily understood rule that, by not breaking, enables helpful guard rails to keep you on track and plans for success.

What might the Bright Lines of my fitness be?

1. Exercise daily -- this means electing to exercise in a way that minimizes the need for recovery and enables daily activity. Exercising daily doesn't just mean that your mind and body never have to wait to enjoy the benefits of physical activity, it also means you are strengthening your habit. Life always gets in the way. Since exercise requires effort (it is not purely the avoidance of a threat) and is the pursuit of an outcome, I think it benefits enormously from habituation, and automaticity. Exercise can mean many things: a workout, an activity or series of motions you do at intervals throughout the day, etc. I think whatever it is, it would be useful to add regularity to it's timing so it, again, aids in habituation. This will help bridge the will power gap that is particularly challenging at the beginning but will continue to serve you as you progress and perhaps elect to take on greater physical challenges.

2. Aim low -- don't take on too much, too soon. Adopt a 'journey' over 'destination' mindset in exercise. Your job, probably for the first 2 years of a fitness journey, should simply be to show up and move your body in a way you enjoy; in a way that blends enough challenge to yield enough reward. Pushing yourself too hard, too quickly, is the surest way to failure. If fitness was a kind of one-time thing... like perhaps riding a bike: once you figure it out and unlock the correct technique = you're good! You're fit now for life!... maybe there would be an argument for an intense, boot camping of your body. If it was all about the 'destination', aiming higher would make sense. But of course there is no actual permanent destination you can reach in fitness, only the journey you endeavour, day after day. So make that journey a simple one, a basic one, a kind one. Make it a journey of steps you're interested to continue each day, not one you dread returning to. It *is* possible to challenge yourself without forcing yourself to do something. I think that's a BIG problem in people's perception of fitness. No pain, no gain. People tend to think that to improve their body, suffering is a requirement. It calls to mind massive bodybuilders grunting loudly through painfully heavy reps, or from another angle, exotic martial arts senseis abusing their students for the slightest divergence from physical training. I think a lot of us, myself included, expect that if you're trying to get on the fitness wagon again, that you will have to *steel* yourself, and show up for a confrontation with your body and dominate it. But it's a journey, not a war. Which means...

3. Be kind to myself -- this ties into the last bright line, but needs to be stated outright. Again, life can get in the way -- be kind to yourself if you elect to not workout. Appreciate the progress you've made and know, since this is a journey, it's not over simply because the adventurer decides to stay at the inn an extra day! No need to start all over. Regard blips in your habit as opportunities to learn on your journey.

4. Follow a plan -- any kind of plan is fine, so long as it's one you enjoy following. Darebee is perfect for this, it provides all manner of plans in the form of it's books and online resources. Easily accessible content helps people start their journey faster and figure out what kinds of steps they enjoy and want to continue to take each day. A good plan is like a good Dungeon Master - they add lots of variety and outsources decision-making, so you can pour more of your energy into the doing of the journey.

5. No equipment -- a gym membership is not required for your fitness journey, just a body, with some energy, and time. Not money. Removing the obstacle of equipment opens up so many possibilities for a fitness journey. Exercise wherever and whenever you like and incorporate the enjoyment of the outdoors, weather permitting.

6. Reflect on my journey -- I think this can always be useful, but is particularly prescient once daily exercise has been successfully habituated. Though this habituation helps free up will power and other energies, we want to continue to apply attention to what we're doing and how we're feeling in regards to our journey. This process allows us to better answer questions like - Is it time to challenge myself? Or am I just bored, and would like some more variety? Am I looking forward to my workout, or am I dreading it a bit? Why? If you believe your physical training is one of the most important parts of your life, don't neglect it. This means bringing regular attention to it (journaling, meditation, etc), even when sticking to the plan seems effortless and care-free, is a very good practice and will help you stay on track.