Preparing for the zombie apocalypse.

Nefisa

Berserker from Belgium - Wallonia
"Sleeping Berserk. Keep Chilled."
I've been a regular user of Darebee program for a few years now and had a couple of accountability threads in the previous forum. I've named this one the same as the previous one because I haven't changed my goal.

I'm not getting younger and while we are not reaching a "survival of fittest" phase anytime soon, I somehow feel like our social system is not going to provide that much support for the ill and the weak in the near future.
(I'm European, I'm used to go to the doctor without having to sell my house, a lung and my next newborn just to get an appointment.)

So, here's the goal : stay in shape, do what has to be done to avoid the avoidable and *just in case* be able to outrun zombies and fight one-on one against the wild mutated giant insects that are attacking our anti-radiation bunker.

Easy peasy.

My go-to activities are : Running, Capoeira (since 2 years, still a beginner), Swimming and anything with dumbells.

I'm going to set myself monthly goals.

For September, it's all set:
I run a 10 k obstacle run on the 3rd
I'm supposed to run a 21k on the 17th but I'll certainly switch to 12k because I don't feel ready enough this year.
And I've 3 week-ends of capoeira's batizados in a row the last two week-ends of september and the first week-end of october.
On top of that I'm back at school (I'm the teacher) so I'll certainly have a cold or some kind of snotty ailment by the end of the month.

September Goal "Avoid Exhaustion"

SUN 27-08-23

-- AM - Cardio & Coordination: Bollywood Dance (With Deepti), Beginner - 25 minutes

-- PM - Stretching: Evening flexibility (Tom Merrick Follow along), Passive Stretching - 25 minutes.

Last edited:

Nefisa

Last edited:

Nefisa

THU 31-08-23

-- PM - Capoeira - Sao Bento - 1h30
Stretching
Warmup (lots of abs related exercices)
Work in lines : Aù / Martelo de chao / combo Meia Lua de Frente-> Aù / Queixada-> Aù
Formation : Basic kicks : Martelo / Bençao / Pisao / Queixada / Armada
Combo of the Day : Queixada-> Paralel -> Armada -> Decilabase -> Martelo while doing a rôlé (not sure of the proper name.)
Nice lesson overall, energetic roda at the end.

Nefisa

@Mamatigerj & @Tileenah Thanks.<3 I have a very powerful medicine, takes a few hours to work but then I'm usually free for a day and by then the migraine is gone or on the leave.

SUN 03-09-23
-- PM. Running. 10km - 2h30 (yes, yes...)

I ran the Sand Race a 10 km obstacle race in Belgium, in a sand quarry. I ran it along a few members of my capoeira group. It took us 2h30 because one of us had shoes problems and couldn't run too fast for fear of ending up barefoot. Also, we really tried to manage all of the obstacles and some of them were pretty hard. I still have no upper body strength so I had to skip all the monkey runs, and "ninja" stuff, but I tried and last year I couldn't even hang, this year I actually passed a ring of two. Improvement!
It was good fun, even though it was extremely muddy and the water in showers ran out at the exact time we entered it.
Oh well...

Last edited:

Nefisa

Thank you @Tileenah @Fremen @Anek !

I did not update here because there wasn't much to report.

MON 04-09-23
DOMS from the Sand race, extreme heat, and also, going back to school (I'm the teacher).

TUE 05-09-23
DOMS still, extreme heat and general exhaustion, I gave up on the capoeira evening class.

WED 06-09-23
Extreme heat and a headache.

THU 07-09-23
Same old same old.

FRI 08-09-23
I'm letting you guess + extra guests and no time.

SAT 09-09-23
Wedding of my step son. This in itself was an intense psychological workout because his mother hates me guts.

SUN 10-09-23
Still the wedding + people at home

MON 11-09-23
Extreme heat again and general exhaustion

TUE 12-09-23
AM -- Dance with Deepti 20 min HIIT Training
PM -- Capoeira class - Sao Bento - a rather long but cool combo of kicks and esquivas, requiring a lot of low squatting. Good thighs/glutes workout.

WED 13-09-23
AM -- Physiotherapy and thus mandatory rest for the day.

THU 14-09-23
AM -- Dance with deepti 50 min bollywood beginner dance
PM -- Capoeira Class - Sao Bento - Lots of cartwheels and some jumping turning kicks. Not my strong suit but I did what I could. Also played on the atabaque ( a big drum) for the first time.

Nefisa

SAT 16-09-23

Rest day. I just went for a short walk around the city center.

SUN 17-09-23

I ran the yearly half-marathon of my city. Except that I changed the distance at the last minute for the 12k. My training has been all over the place during the last two month and I really wasn't feeling it. (I'm usually rather serious and committed, this time, I barely ran at all.)
I really took it easy and stacked myself behind the pacekeeper with the 6:30min/km flag and stayed around him until km 10, then I sped up to 5:30min/km for the last 1,5km (the race wasn't quite 12k, my watch says 11,4 km.
So 11,4 km in 1h13 seems to be my time. To be confirmed when the results are out.

On the bad side : this might be the slowest I've ever run this 12k. And I was set to run the 21k in 2:06, so that sucks.
On the good side : I've done a decent time without pushing myself at all and could even speed up with ease at the end, even tough my training for this specific race was next to nothing. This means that my endurance and strength baselines are way higher than what they used to be. (I'm going to thank Darebee and my consistent practice of capoeira for this.)

I still made it to the hall of fame of the race, because I've been running it for the tenth year in a row. (and it has existed for the same amount of time)

I'm saying bye to running for the next few months. I'll maintain a 5k in 30 min base line with maybe a weekly or bi-monthly "run+swimming pool" session . And that's it. My focus is on capoeira until march 2024.

Last edited:

Nefisa

SUN 17-09-23

PM -- Tendon Strength - Power-Up #1

MON 18-09-23

AM -- Strength - Full Body - Catalyst - 3kg Dumbbells.
-- Tendon Strength - Power-Up #2

PM -- Stretching - Tom Merrick 15 min full body mobility
-- Tendon Strength - Power-Up #3

On a "health& safety" note, I have decided to lose 10kg, mostly fat and water. Muscle must remain.

I'm pretty happy with my body at the moment (even though I put on 3 kg during the summer and it's not muscle :/ ) but I have a lymphoedema in my left leg.
It has been here for two decades and at the moment it is hindering me in my capoeira practice, especially when it's hot. Also, I'm prone to infections and with the accelerating climate change I really feel like unbearable heats are going to be more frequent, and it turns my leg into an unusable watermelon that can get infected very easily. This needs to change. (and I can't change the climate, I'm already doing as much as I can, spare eating the rich.)

One way to alleviate this is purely mechanical : less weight to carry means that it's easier on my lymphatic system and less fat means that my lymph is more fluid and that the lymphatic vessels in my legs are not hindered by extra fat and are aided by strong muscles. Losing ten kilos would put me right in the middle of the weight range usually accepted for a female my age and height, so that's a very safe place to be. However, I've not weighted 65 kilos since, at least, 2015. So I'm not going to do it recklessly. Time is of the essence.

My first step is to lose 5% of my body weight over 8 weeks.
Thats roughly 4 kilos. A very reasonable goal.
I already eat healthy and balanced homemade meals, so I can't and don't want to act much on my diet.

So, for the next 8 weeks :

I will eat a bit less.
I won't drink alcohol at all.
I will cut overly sugary treats (maybe allow a pain au chocolat for breakfast once a week or so, let's not be too harsh on this one.)
I will do more fat-burning cardio (under 120bpm exercice like walking or light dancing)
I will maintain some strength training to keep my muscle mass.
I'll try to be more active during the day to burn more calories and create a deficit without over-exerting myself. I'm usually a bit of a couch-potatoe.

I'll update on my progress once a week.

Weight (Kg)BMIMuscle %Fat %Chest (cm)Belly (cm)Waist (cm)Hips (cm)Thigh (cm)
Week 0
75,426,730,227,4102 / 818976,510263
Week 1
Week 2
Week 3
Week 4
Week 5
Week 6
Week 7
Week 8
GOAL71,424,7>31< 26< 98/78<85<74<98<61

Last edited:

Nefisa

TUE 19-07-23

AM -- Cardio & Coordination: Bollywood Dance (With Deepti), Beginner - 25 minutes

PM -- Capoeira Class - Sao Bento - We have a demo and a festival coming up this week, so we reveiwed basic moves and the rest of the lesson was a training roda with restrictive rules "only armada, queixadas and meia lua de frente and esquivas" or "place a négativa troca rolê cadeira and a meia lua de compasso". A challenging exeercice for me, as I am not at ease in improvisation. I still think too much.
-- Walk - 45 mins - 3,6 km. I love walking back home from the capoeira class, it's late, it's mostly on a busy road without any sidewalk, but it's a relaxing stroll after a hardcore session.

I had an audit at work and needed extra time to prepare it at home (and it was eventually cancelled...) and I also got a very upset belly (the iron supplement I'm taking can have painful side effects, especially at the beginning of my yearly cure.) So I did not find the time and energy for the 2 Power-up days I had planned.

I won't pass on it tomorrow.

Last edited:

Zenchan

Warrior Monk Posts: 64
"...probably in a forest..."
Your run actually sounds great (having energy at the end to speed up)!

Good luck on your weight loss journey! I have the same problem. :p :LOL:
I've never heard of lymphoedema before, I googled it, it sounds bad :sad:, but I am sure you have everything under control.

Healing vibes! :vibes:

Nefisa

@Zenchan : I'm quite happy with my run, indeed, this ability to speed up was a first. It feels very nice!
(and yeah, I don't recommend lymphoedema having it 'under control' takes up a lot of time unfortunately.)

Let's update it's been almost a week.

WED 20-09-23
Nothing, I was tired.

THU 21-09-23
We were supposed to do a capoeira demo at midday, but it was an outdoor event, and a storm got in the way.

In the evening, I went to capoeira class, but there were only 5 of us teacher included, and we had an event incoming, so we played music instead, let's say that it was a vocal cord, palms and pinkie workout...

FRI - 22-09-23
AM -- Nothing. I was in shambles because I went to bed at 2 am, something an old lady like me should avoid at all cost.

PM -- 1 hour capoeira class during the opening of our capoeira group festival. Sao Bento - lots of work on high turning kicks and exchanging them in a timely manner.

SAT - 23-09-23
AM-PM
we had the capoeira festival
- 1 hour warm-up. started easy with some stretching and breathing and all of a sudden we were jumping on one leg, kicking and escaping kicks from each other, sweaty, breathless and praying for strong knees.
- 1 beginner- intermediate level roda in benguela (very low game with almost all the time 3 resting points (one leg/two arms, two arms/your head, etc.) hald of the player weren't two motivated so I entered the circle 6 times.
- 1 hour of lesson on floreios (acrobatics) we slowly worked towards a combo of round kick, feint, and cartwheel without hand transforming into a direct side kick (and if you can't visualized this, it's normal, capoeira is made to be highly deceptive.)
- half an hour of 'resting lesson' which started quietly indeed, with songs and proprioception exercices but soon, we were doing bridges above each other or using a comrade to launch a handstand and turning it into a cartwheel. Oh well... I chose this.

SUN - 24-09-23
Rest. uUnless you count carrying a few heavy table across a very large lawn.

Mon - 25-09-23

Not sure what happened there but I did absolutely nothing. Just a 15 min brisk walk.
Actually, I was in France on Sunday and came back by train in the morning, then worked, then I couldn't bother.

Week 1 of *dieting* - It started well, but Thursday night in a pub and the sunday spent at my mum kinda counterbalanced it.
(I couldn't weight myself first thing on Monday because I wasn't home and there's no point in using a different scale.) so here we go.

Week 075,426,730,227,4102 / 818976,510263
Week 174,826,530,327,2101 / 81897510163
Week 2
Week 3
Week 4
Week 5
Week 6
Week 7
Week 8

Last edited:

Nefisa

OK, apparently, I did not update for a century.
Not that there's much to report. I was ill most of the week.

TUE 26-09-23

PM -- Capoeira - Did the stretching and started feeling very hot and breathless. I checked my smart watch and my pulse was over 140 even though I was only working on my bridges (not something that should push me over 110 and make me feel like I just climbed a hill on one foot). I deduced fever and went home.
Walk : 3,6 km walk home from the capoeira as there was no bus.

WED 27-09-23

Felt pretty lame all day (fever and stuffed nose)and thus did nothing worth noting.

THU 28-09-23

PM -- Went to capoeira but just did the warm-up and the final roda. I played instruments in between.

FRI 29-09-23

PMS started to kick in on top of the cold. Hello migraine.
Still :

AM -- Hiking - 6km in a nearby forest with my boyfriend, it was quiet and lovely. We picked chestnuts and looked at the mushrooms.
PM -- A few brisk walks as a was running errands in the city center.

SAT 30-09-23

With a few members of my capoeira group we went to another group's batizado in Eindhoven, Netherlands. It was lovely : that day my migraine was under control, so I wasn't feeling 100% but it was ok.

1h30 hour warm up, quiet stretching at first then basic kicks and evasions, then a long roda (in which I didn't participate because the level was to high)
1h30 Capoeira beginner lesson with a very nice contramestre who made us work on movement and space/body perception, something I sorely need to train. It wasn't difficult but it was enlightening, especially at the end when we went in a roda and he would explain us what to improve as we played.
More rodas, but with crazy levels, so I just watched and enjoyed.

SUN 1-10-23

We had a long party the night before and slept in a dormitory which is not a recipe for a rejuvenating night. In the morning my migraine was back (not alcohol related though, I stuck to sparkling water)

40 min warm-up it was actually 1h30 long, but we started doing hand stands and being upside down was impossible at that moment without dire consequences. I stepped aside and stuffed myself with the maximal daily allowance of paracetamol.

1h30 capoeira beginner lesson with a mestre from Portugal who started to ask us to do bananeiras, beijaflores and all sorts of stuff upside down, so I hated him a lttle at first. then we moved onto a very nice combo of kicks and evasion and he really made it feel easy to learn and apply. We finished by trying to stick this combo in a roda game and I really enjoyed it.

More rodas, but I played only once.

--------------------

This brings us to the end of September. Let's review :

My goal for September was pretty much "survival" as the month was hectic. I managed. It would have been easier without the cold this week, but I won't complain.

My goal for October : lose weight and maintain muscle.

Recipe is :
More slow cardio everyday (walking, move around the house)
Smaller food portions + no alcohol + very little sweet treats
Muscle maintenance every other day.
High cardio / give it your all and likely die in a puddle of sweat on the tatami twice a week, since I'm not giving up on capoeira, hell no.
Some dance and swimming if I feel the energy.
A lot of stretching and massaging (for the bloating and the lymphatic system, since I have a lymphoedema)

MON 02-10-23

I'm starting the power builder program. It's a level 4 but I've done all of the level 3 programs with dumbells with relative ease, so I'm ready to move up and I like that there is a stretching day between each circuit/training day. It fits my week better than a heavy load program. Also I intend to use light dumbells for hypertrophy days, I'll just work on proper form throughout the many many repeats.

AM- Power Builder #1 - Hypertrophy - 2kg Dumbells.
PM- (Was supposed to stretch but I fell asleep very early. That's fine too.)

No weight in and measurement today because it's the first day of my period and the week-end was reckless with low quality food, too much medication and not enough rest. Not representative and possibly depressing. We don't want that.

Last edited:

Nefisa

TUE 03-10-23

I wanted to bollywood dance this morning but, energy-wise, I'm feeling like an overcooked spagethi. So I worked on my lacking senses of balance, coordination and proprioception. I didn't break a sweat but it's very challenging. I'll try to work on it more often.

AM-- Balance and Proprioception exercices. 12 mins
Power Builder #2 - Stretching

PM -- Capoeira - Benguela - 1h30 - A very complicated sequence. The teacher asked me to concentrate on my hands, and my quality of movement rather than executing it to perfection. Then we did a long roda that he stopped and commented so we could correct our weaknesses on the spot. (mostly for beginners) a useful thing to do, every now and then.
-- Walking (back home from capoeira) - 3,6 km

Last edited:

Nefisa

WED 04-10-23

Woke up with a dull pain in the left knee, mostly due to capoeira and maybe a badly executed side lunge in Power Builder day 1. Put some ice on it while wondering if it was reasonnable to do the strength day of the program when my phone alarm told me that I had physio this morning. I had totally forgotten and made it late to the appointment, but the physiotherapist fixed my knee (it was just my fibula acting up, nothing out of the ordinary for me, and, apparently an easy fix). By 3pm the pain was totally gone.

AM-- nothing because physio.
PM -- Very late because we had guests for dinner : Power Builder #3 -Strength - 3 kg dumbells. Mods : only 3 sets, because of tiredness and also didn't want to undo my physio therapist job with too many squat holds + knee push ups, because honestly, I'm that knackered. I need a real week-end.

Nefisa

THU 05-10-23

I experienced an intense working day from 8am to 8pm and gave up on capoeira in the evening because going back home at 11pm was asking a bit too much of me. (usually I don't work in the morning) No regrets, there was pizza for dinner, and that's just what I needed. Also, I'm going to spend my week-end playing capoeira anyway.

PM-- 2,5km very very brisk walk because my bus was late and I had to walk between two appointments.
-- Power Builder #4 - Stretching

Nefisa

@Nanna Io Thanks! I'm going really easy on the weights though, it's more for maintenance than actual gain, but I think I've done Ironborn 4 times already, some variety is always welcome!

FRI 06-10-23

I was a couch potatoe most of the day, I got a lymphatic drainage at 1pm, then used my pressure boots and it made me fall asleep. I emerged around 5pm... Luckily I wasn't working today.

PM -- Power Builder #5 - Hypertrophy - 3 kg dumbells. Last time was really too easy with the 2kg dumbells, It was fine with 3 kg here, I only had to go empty on the last two sets of the lateral raises because my form was starting to suck. I think I'll take 5kg dumbells for all the lower body sets from now on, and lighten the load for upper body, I barely felt the calf raises.

Last edited:

Nefisa

SAT 07-10-23

Saturday was the first day of a capoeira festival in Brussel. It was intense to say the least.

9 am -- Walk - 2,5km/30 min (from the train station to the venue)

10 am -- Maculelê - 1h - It was supposed to be the warm-up lesson. Holy cow... (if you don't know what maculelê is, have a look here, it's a good example.(and for the original version, imagine machetes instead of wooden sticks)

11:30 am -- Capoeira -1h20 - Sao bento - lesson by a professora who made us work on various combo of round kicks and esquivas. I didn't like it much especially at the end, when the sequence turned out to be too bulky for my beginner brain. But I picked up some cues.

1 pm -- after a break we got a roda, I managed to play about 10 seconds with a mestre.

2 pm -- Capoeira - Sao Bento - 1h - it was time for straight kicks, so we kicked. We worked on four departure points for the martelo, capoeira's most common side kicks. And of course the various ways to dodge it.

3:30 pm - Capoeira - Benguela - 1h - Sweaty and tired, our feet blistered and bleeding* because of the sticky plastic floor... that was the perfect time for a mestre to tell us to work on the ground. And I'm not talking about nice relaxing yoga poses. Mostly we worked on moving efficiently on all four, back up or towards the ground. If you have tight hips, you can wince, the first exercice was getting "comfortable" in the cocorinha, a way to squat very low while keeping the heels on the floor. The end of the session was about meia lua the compasso and the various way to dodge it. (you can see both cocorinha and meia lua de compasso here)
We had another roda in which I didn't participate.

5 pm -- Walk - 2,5/30 min

9 pm -- Power builder #6 -Stretching and some more stretching because I needed it.

* Actually the skin of my feet is now holding very well, even on unfriendly grounds but it was becoming painful and many newbies had mummy wrapped their feet in layer s of plasters.

SUN 08-10-23

Second day of the capoeira festival.

9:30 am - Walk - 2,5km/30 min (from the train station to the venue)

10:30 am - Capoeira - 1h20 - Sao Bento - Warm-up are over rated apparently. We reviewed basic turning and straight kicks and then by pairs, we worked on the various way, not only to dodge them but to take-down the opponent. It was very physical, quite interesting and I learned a few things I might want to work on some more later on.
There was a roda, and I started feeling a bit ( a lot) overwhelmed.
Not physically but emotionally. I'm autistic and with experience, I know when a melt-down is coming. Five weeks in a row with social events, while working more than usual during the week, I'm actually surprised it did not happen before. I took the cue, said bye to everyone and left early.

12:15 Walk - 2,5/30 min

No Power builder program tonight, because there's not point in doing a Strength Training after such a week-end, and the heavy load days will clash with my capoeira training during the week if I don't make this day break.

I'll stretch though, my hips and my calves are asking for it.

Over and out.

Last edited:

Nefisa

MON 09-10-23

A good night sleep makes wonders. I'm feeling almost fresh and rested this morning (my body is tired, sore and slightly scratched here and there but my mind is fine)

AM-- Power Builder #7 : Strength - 3 kg dumbells. Mods : Push-ups on the knees for all the sets. 10- count push-up hold on the knees for the last 2 sets. The rest was fine.

Nothing planned for PM appart from some gentle stretching/breathing exercices, I'm going to get my covid vaccine shot in an hour, I'm usually a bit feverish/sore for a night after these.

Now to the fat loss diet : the previous week mayhem with a cold, my period and so many random things happening foodwise didn't help at all, but it could have been worse. I'm on my own at home for 2 weeks, I should get good results. As for this week, visually I'm not so bloated anymore, there's that.

Week 075,426,730,227,4102 / 818976,510263
Week 174,826,530,327,2101 / 81897510163
Week 2 --- ------------------------
Week 374,226,330,526,8100/808774,510062
Week 4
Week 5
Week 6
Week 7
Week 8

Nefisa

I've been low on updates lately...
Ok, lets make it short and sweet.

CAPOEIRA
I missed capoeira twice because I was either knackered or sick, I still made it twice to the lesson and did my best. It pays off, I got praised in the roda for actually, for once, being able to play properly (I'm not expected to be able to do it well every time yet, as I'm still a beginner, I'm just expected to dive in and do my best.)

POWER BUILDER
I've more or less kept the schedule, except that I don't follow the plan on stretching days since I've got my own routine and it's a bit more advanced than what is offered by the program and also targets my most tense/painful areas (psoas, I'm looking at you.) So it's more upgrading the program than anything. I follow the strength and hypertrophy training to a T though.
My only adaptation is using knee push-ups instead of normal push-ups, so I can maintain a good form for more than 2 reps.
I've noticed that I breeeze through circuit/strength days and don't give it a second thought but hypertrophy days are delivering a good share of DOMS two days later. It's working I guess (I'm still functional and the pain is not unbearable, but I do feel them.)
I'm at day 14 - I missed a couple days because of a stomach bug and capoeira interfering, but I'm on track, I'll finish it, albeit a bit late.

FAT LOSS
Not a bloody clue, I forgot to weight/measure myself last Monday and I've been bloated/feeling heavy all week, I think because of that stomach bug. This morning, it was suddenly better.
I don't overeat, I keep my NEAT up and do a lot around the house, I walk fast whenever I run an errand and my average step count is 10k a day. So I guess we'll find out tomorrow if I'm still on track for my goal.

Over and out.

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
"“Keep an eye on the staircases. They like to change.” Percy Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."
Happy Birthday :fireworks: