8 weeks to 5K progression

RangerX

Boxer from Kansas
So after getting some great advice from members in the community I have been doing the 8 weeks to 5K program I would like to be able to run a 10K and then after that just kind of be able to maintain that running ability but I don't know how to progress the 5K to 10K and once I have reached it I don't know how to program for maintenance of my running. So I guess how do I progress the 8 weeks to 5K after completing it to a 10K program and then how do I maintain that fitness once I get there because I plan once I'm able to run 10K cutting my volume down a little and focusing a little on lifting

kandy

Honeybee Posts: 155
I don't know if this sounds odd. You can follow the Half Marathon program and just stop there when you reach 10k. I just checked and it said on day 28 you would be aiming at 10k.

After that you can follow the runner training plan, or do other running programs such as Runner Prime. Or you find your own running volume that suit you. I think you will have a better idea of how to plan it after all the training/running experience. :)

Tileenah

Warrior from France
@kandy 's suggestion is a good one for beggining half marathon. I suggest you train a bit at 5km first. I'd say for 2 or 3 weeks, just practice running 5 km or 30 to 40 minutes regularly, like on a 3 times a week basis, the rest of days being focused on strength/cardio training. The 30 days of hiit program really helped me there, https://darebee.com/programs/30-days-of-hiit.html
But runner prime would work perfectly as well.
Then you should continue running 3 or 4 times a week with one run focusing on speed for like 20-25 minutes, 2 runs on running 5 or 6 km and one on running 7, or 45 minutes, then 50, then 8 etc untill you reach your mark of ten.
Then the only thing you have to do is to keep running 10km or 1hour at least once a week, with another shorter run focusing on speed. Maybe there's a program out there already worked at that trains you to do that but I still don't know them all sorry 😅
Good luck!

MissSmilla

Sorceress from Munich, Germany
"When they go low, we go high. - Michelle Obama"
I don't know if this sounds odd. You can follow the Half Marathon program and just stop there when you reach 10k. I just checked and it said on day 28 you would be aiming at 10k.

After that you can follow the runner training plan, or do other running programs such as Runner Prime. Or you find your own running volume that suit you. I think you will have a better idea of how to plan it after all the training/running experience. :)
That would be exactly my recommendation. I've done the Half Marathon program in what feels like an earlier life, and as it fit my schedule pretty well, I just kept repeating the two weeks leading up to the 10k. But there are plenty running programs with ideas to either switch things up within the structure of the Half Marathon or to try a different structure that suits you.
Any way, best of luck in your running endeavour! I envy you quite a bit as I'm not cleared for running at this point, and I miss it.