Abdominal Gap or Separation (Diastasis Recti)

bee2

I call it my alien baby (just imagine that scene in Aliens). It's most pronounced when I'm on my back and attempt to do a crunch or sit up. It's not painful, however, those type of exercises must be avoided.

A bit of background, I'm 50 years old. Male. Overweight. The abdomen separation doesn't just happen to pregnant women.

The Postpartum workout is good for Diastasis Recti (DR). Does anyone else have recommendations for DR friendly workouts that I can lookup (there are so many to explore).

Diastasis-Recti-Do-You-Have-It-Plus-How-to-Treat-It-pregnancy-post-by-Mama-Natural.jpg

STUMPY

Ya, I have that too. Male too, 69 years young. Don't do anything that resembles a curl up/crunch type of movement. Eccentric core workouts may help the abdominal floor. Lot's of examples in the workouts herein, just have to pick and choose what works for you. See the Core for Runners.

Last edited:

Andi64

from Margareten
So, I get you must avoid movements that put pressure on the abdominal wall like crunches, but what about 'negativ-pressure' like the stomach vacuum? It's easy to learn and you can do it e.g. in a train or car while commuting to work.

Last edited: