Cardio Trim - mission aborted

dadbod_jam

from Birmingham, UK
Starting thread late as only just found this.

Started Cardio Trim program already... six days down so far.

Start weight 181 lbs.
Target weight 171 lbs.

I've followed the level 3 number of sets on all days where there are options. I finish every session drenched in sweat.

Already feeling better and feel as though my posture has improved. Was worried about doing push ups, but surprised that I was able to manage some. Feel this program will improve how many I can do.

Going to do day 7 and day 8 in one now. Will post shortly on how I found it.

dadbod_jam

from Birmingham, UK
Day 7 and Day 8 done together

Day 7

Ouch!

Found 'Hopper' hard. Maybe it was the accumulation of previous days' workouts, but really felt it in calves, hips and worryingly in my achilles. Think I'll ice the achilles and stretch it tonight to be on the safe side.

Abs. Either my abs are super weak or it is mega ambitious to say beginners can follow this program. From set 1, I couldn't complete the required reps for leg raises, scissors or raised leg hold without tiny breaks. Did the full reps with short breaks - something is better than nothing I guess.

So glad Day 7 is over. I remember now that I didn't enjoy Day 3 either (that was also Hopper and Abs). I think I'll approach every futute abs workout with dread now.

Day 8
Not much to report. Did it in two sets of 50, not taxing. Maybe I'm making a mistake by not keeping this to a dedicated day. Perhaps it is in there to let the body rest? I'm in a bit of a hurry though, so I'll take the risk - hope I don't regret it.

Worked up a good sweat again :ss:

dadbod_jam

from Birmingham, UK
Before I give thoughts on today's workout, I'll just say that my stomach was feeling nice and tight today. I might have struggled yesterday, but I'm feeling the effects today. A nice reminder of why I shouldn't give up.

Day 9
Nearly a third of the way there. Tough day again, but aren't they all?

Power Run was challenging but I got through all ten rounds. It did get more difficult in the later rounds, I wasn't getting my knees as high and really had to squeeze out the push ups. I was doing the odd 5k run before starting this program, but all at a gentle pace, so the intensity of this program is definitely something different. As for the push ups, I really worried that I wasn't going to have the strength for this program, so to have completed 50 push ups has got me super happy.

Tendon Strength was very difficult for me. I injured my hip 11 years ago, so much so that I've never been able to play my favourite sports again (tennis and football/soccer). The tension from keeping my leg off the floor combined with lateral movements made this painful for me. I persevered though, with my focus on staying in control. Really glad to get through it.

Diet update: I'm doing well with reducing my sugar intake (sweet tooth is my weakness). Lot of temptation around me - ice cream, chocolate, cakes, doughnuts etc. But I'm able to tell myself that with sweating buckets and going through pain in my training, it's not worth wasting my efforts for a quick sugar fix.

Had a peek at tomorrow's circuit. Burpees! Should be fun :eyes:

dadbod_jam

from Birmingham, UK
Before my little report on today's workout, an update on my weight. I had set myself a target of weight coming down from 181lbs to 171lbs. Well, I'm at 178lbs, so there is progress. At that rate, I probably won't hit 171lbs from this program, but it doesn't matter. The bigger target really is to complete the program, I'll be happy with whatever results come from it.

Onto my training, I did two days' worth again.

Day 11
Circuit Prime. I was tempted not to do this. I contemplated going for a gentle 5k run instead. Main reason was that I would enjoy that more as I'm struggling with repetitiveness in Cardio Trim, especially with these warm ups. But the intensity is tough too and I have to admit that I wanted to have an easier session. As they say though, trust the process. So I stuck to the program and all the suffering and sweat that comes with it.

Upper Body workout was good. In first set I managed 18 push ups before failure, that came down to 5 push ups by the fifth set. I used 1.25kg in each hand for the punches for half the reps. Close grip push ups are difficult, I only managed 5 in the first set - had to do knee pushups for some reps in all sets after.

Day 12
Thankfully this wasn't an 'all in one go' circuit. Broke into 5 sets of 60 reps. Not easy, but not too difficult.

Nearly halfway there now!

Last edited:

dadbod_jam

from Birmingham, UK
Before starting Cardio Trim, I looked to see if I could find whether somebody had shared their experience of it. I couldn't. That's why I started this thread, I figured somebody else in the future may find it useful.

As I've been checking on this thread, I've found myself questioning why I'm bothering and whether it will be of any use to anybody.

Even if not one single person goes through this thread, today I found out how useful it is to me.

I had a really broken sleep thanks to all manner of disturbances. I don't cope well with broken sleep. I had a busy day at work with barely any breaks from the desk, and when I got a break I didn't take a walk because of heavy rain. I had quite a lot of household type chores that had to get done. Basically, come 8pm, I was shattered and ready for bed. Only I hadn't done my workout.

I didn't care - I've worked so hard, surely I can have a rest?

Yes.

But... I couldn't. I had to check in my workout!!! I think this is the kind of thing people mean when they talk about accountability. So....

Day 13
It was hard. 6 burpees is my limit, 20 is murder. I just moved through the burpees too slowly. I did them though and as I always say, something is better than nothing. The amount of sweat that dripped off me onto the floor was enough validation for me that I'd got in a good workout.

I only managed three sets, which met Level 1. This is the first day where I haven't achieved Level 3 (when there have been levels). I ain't upset by it though. I know I gave it my all and sometimes we have to accept we're not quite where we want to be. It's something to work towards I guess.

Leave early for the office tomorrow, I'll do Day 14 in office gym after work - so I better get my kit ready. I just can't get a break from this program!

dadbod_jam

from Birmingham, UK
14 days completed. Cardio Trim has been good for me. I've lost a few pounds, I feel fitter and stronger, I'm eating better and I'm sleeping better. For all of that though, I just couldn't bring myself to do day 15.

Mentally and physically, I just did not want to do the program today. It wasn't even tiredness or laziness, I was feeling fine and walked a fair bit. I just needed a break from the repetitiveness and the intensity.

It was a mistake to cram 14 days into 11 days, it meant I never got a day of just doing easier workouts. I have surgery scheduled on 28 Sep after which I'll be out of action for 2-3 weeks, hence doubling up some days so that I could finish the program before my op.

Hopefully get back on it tomorrow. I don't know if I'll get to the end of the program. Partly because some of that drive has gone and partly because I'm thinking it's not a good idea to overdo it when I'll be needing some strength to heal after my op.

dadbod_jam

from Birmingham, UK
So, I've decided to end my Cardio Trim journey. No full review of the program as I had intended, but it has been a sort of a review hopefully.

Cardio Trim does produce results. But I'm probably proof that it isn't for everybody.

For me, there was just too much HIIT. I know it's a great way of improving fitness, but I'm a big believer of only doing things in moderation. I'm not so sure my body can cope with so much HIIT. I'm sure that mentally I can't keep up with so much.

Another thing for me was the lack of variety. Doing high knees for ages, throwing punches for ages etc. It's like you're on a hamster wheel sometimes. I like more variation, from day to day and within circuits themselves.

I don't want to put anybody off Cardio Trim. I'm sure it is perfect for many people.

What I will say is that it's been a great kickstart for me. Although I've stopped the program, I feel much fitter and I am more confident about getting into better shape. I just need to mix it up. Today I skipped for 20 minutes, followed by a circuit using a 20kg sandbag I bought during covid lockdown (and only used once previously!).

Tomorrow I plan to do a 5k parkrun. It'll be at an easy pace, but will get my heart rate up and I know I'll enjoy it. I think it's important to take pleasure from training, not just feel pain. But I'll take away that there is something to be gained from pushing yourself out of what is comfortable - just have to find the right balance.

Onwards and upwards now. I'm syre I'll return to Darebee for workout ideas. It's a great resource.

Good luck everybody with your own endeavours and adventures!