5 years of depression: how to make my body move.

Lady Adamska

Hi there, I'm in dire need of a little hug and support:tap:

5 years of depression (already overcome it and it's 58 days I'm without antidepressants, yay!) - and I understood I'm a) not able to move properly, tired in 5 minutes of any cardio, too devastated to go for a 5 km walk and feel like I'm a human dumpling b) +12 kilos from my usual weight and I'm desperate to lose it!

Could you please suggest some fitness program for me? The main issue: I became horribly indecisive and can not decide whether I should do something REAL like 1 hour of hard training every day (but I literally will do it through violence and tears) or start with something easy like 10-minute workouts (but will it be useful at all?!)

I thought about PowerHiit (because I like the feeling of light dumbells) - but I am not sure it will be enough for any progress at all.

Thanks in advance, I'm so glad I found such a community!

Shaarawi

Hunter from Alexandria, Egypt
Welcome to Darebee.

@Lady Adamska The sign of success is when you start to complaining. Conitune post here until you feel good and workouts becoming daily habit.

Think of it as a project,
1) create a plan
2) start very small
3) do it daily
4) never think, look at your plan and do it
5) keep post your progression
6) get advices from others (who will give only positive feedback)
7) trust of God

As you stated your goal to lose fat and strengthen your core.

You need to look for cardio programs with subtitle "High burn & streamline" and add-on programs with title core or abs
Do not forget to start filter by difficulty 1 and so on.

For example you can start with Baseline program and "Back And Core" program.

Note add-on programs are designed in away will not affect other programs you are doing

Hope this help!

PetiteSheWolf

Alchemist from France
A five km walk is nothing to sneeze at, especially if you start again your fitness journey. So, hugs, it will come. As you start again, maybe filter through the level II programs ? Cardio is good, but muscle building is good too, so pick what feels fun. One of the add ons for core / abs is great too - if it fits for you. See if you can set a walking goal like 5,000 steps/day (10,000 is a good goal if your lifestyle fits, but better start small and take the habit!)
Weight loss is another topic, a complex one, I'd leave to other people ; but more movement and starting to try watch what you eat is a good start.
Finally, start a log, it will force you some accountability and people will come encourage you :)

Good luck, you're starting on the right path!

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
"“Keep an eye on the staircases. They like to change.” Percy Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."
I would take a look at Darebee's Programs and quickly choose the one that inspires me and start like that.
The programs are the simplest choice, they are already well-structured and progressive workouts that teach you to train consistently every day.
You don't have to think about anything, reason or structure a workout, every day you just follow the program.
Make it easy and start, you can always change direction easily ;)

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
Pronouns: She/her
Maybe define to yourself what "progress" is? Fitness? Or weight loss? Because weight loss has a lot more to do with nutrition than exercise.

Exercise, however, will be great for managing your mood and making you feel good overall, despite the extra weight. So maybe change your goal to that, instead, for exercise.

At this point, anything is better than nothing, and it's more important to build the habit of moving daily. Choose something that you'll enjoy too.

There is nothing wrong with long walks, I lost 20kg just by eating less and walking, that was before I discovered Darebee.

I agree with Fremen that the programs are a great starting point. And you can always add on as you get more comfortable.

MolBren

Jedi Pronouns: she/her
"newbie"
Hi Lady Adamska! I'm pretty new here myself.

I've been somewhat sedentary for some time and opted to do something on the easy side (not anywhere near 1 hour of hard training per day) to build up the practice and habit of putting exercise back into my days.
Like seriously, I think I found the easiest program this site offers: FOUNDATION light
I do that on top of walking and some hiking on weekends. Some days I'll do added stretching or yoga, but I'm focusing on that one program for now. Part of me wants to jump in with many other add-ons, but I know myself and I know that my motivation and interest wanes. I'm taking the 'slow and steady' course.

But, like Nevetharine mentions above, I think it depends on what your idea of progress means. I want to build a habit I'll stick to and progress is measured in sticking to it. If I miss days (which I do) I just come back and keep going. Giving myself space and grace to not be perfect has helped a lot this past month.
What would progress look like to you?

Also, welcome!
*virtual hugs*

DeeCeeLee

from USA
@Lady Adamska

I can certainly relate. I'm new here as well and have been at various levels of depression for the past 2 years- maybe longer, but 2 years for certain. A co-worker introduced me to Darebee and I'm so pleased. I'm a fitness professional with degrees and certifications but the only thing I've been moderately consistent with lately is walking- and that's been more for my mental health.

You also stated "I became horribly indecisive...." I'm dealing with the same thing; sometimes over the most simple choices. Do you think it's because of depression?

It's time for me to add to the walking but I'm so out of shape and my joints ache from extra weight and not using them regularly. I also have set myself up for failure several times by doing workouts that were too hard; letting my ego determine my workout because of what I was capable of in the past. I like that this platform has true beginner programs.

I will start with FOUNDATION. Everything in me is screaming "Foundation is too easy" but that's exactly what I need. Who am I fooling, it will NOT be too easy:happy:

@Shaarawi I appreciate your list for getting back on track as well as the other suggestions from members. I'm so glad to be here!