A Revolutionary Ranger's Training Log in the Age of Zombie Capitalism

Al Raven

Ranger from Switzerland
Pronouns: he/him
On the days when you can't have you thought of using some of the "Exercise Snacks" shown on our YouTube Library?
Thanks Damer, I'll check it out. I've always struggled with managing my narcolepsy to find the time and energy to train/do physical activities, but since december it's been pretty tough, probably because of my ongoing/unsolved knee problem.
But as Darebee has always promoted (and given useful tools and ideas to find solutions!), you can find ways and things that "work for you" and fit into your specific daily circumstances...

Damer

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Warrior Monk from Terra
Pronouns: He/Him
So I've found the link on the website, but apparently (at least for me) on youtube the specific playlist isn't there...
That's so weird! I wonder why not. We don't have any restrictions in place so this has to be either a glitch on YouTube's side or some kind of regional issue with access rights. Our world is so complex at times!

Al Raven

Ranger from Switzerland
And I can tweak/modify them a little bit to make it more challenging or focus on other moves/exercises, e.g. pullups, burpees, turkish get ups or other kettlebell moves...
It's good because I simply don't always have enough energy to get into a "full"/longer workout (also it's unpredictable, so a bit hard to stick to a strict schedule even if I have the motivation...)

Al Raven

Ranger from Switzerland
Workout 3/3
Warmup: barbell squat warmup sets + jumping jacks
Part 1) 3 sets (rest as needed):
  1. 5 barbell squats @ 80kg
  2. 2 or 3 min jump rope
Part 2) deadlift warmup then 1 x 5 @ 90kg
Lower Body stretching
I'm always amazed by the longevity of squat/deadlift strength "gains", for lack of a better word...
I haven't done any heavy squats or deadlifts for over six months, maybe even a year.
Yet I could comfortably do these (with proper warmup of course)!

Al Raven

Ranger from Switzerland
Alongside the physio/knee rehab stuff and pushups and pullups training, I want to take up some cardio/fat-burning workouts, and specifically running and HIIT/circuit workouts.
Running (either treadmill or outdoors, now that the weather is finally nicer/warmer) is one option, but I'm also coming up with a straightforward, go-to workout (obviously I might have to test and modify it):
  • Duration/level: do as many sets/rounds as possible, but the idea is even if I'm only able to do a short/small session it's still a solid HIIT-type effort (e.g. as I've explained many times, I always have to factor in how much energy vs sleepiness on I have on a given day)
  • Exercise selection: probably some of the cardio/HIIT/fat-burning classics, but I'll do the ones that I kind of "enjoy" doing because I need to do this regularly (e.g. I'm not gonna do 10 or more burpee reps in a row, or plank "climbers"; etc)
  • I think it's a good idea to not have too many wkts to choose from and rather focus on running on the one hand, and when I don't feel like it, a go-to indoor/home HIIT/circuit-type workout that's straightforward and adaptable to my flows of energy/lack thereof
I'm brainstorming and testing today, I'll share my notes and specific workout details as I come up with it

Al Raven

Ranger from Switzerland
Brainstorming: exercises (obviously I'm not gonna do all these in a single workout lmao)
These are hiit/circuit-type fat-burning/cardio-challenging exercises that I actually enjoy doing
  • Jumping jacks
  • High knees and butt kicks
  • Jab-cross-elbow-knee
  • Backfist or lateral elbow + side kick
  • Kb swings
  • Squat jumps
  • Side-to-side ski jumps
  • 123-123 (yes, as a teen I once made the mistake of trying the "Insanity" wkt which represents everything I hate about the US-centered fitness/weight loss industry; but one thing I'll say is some of the exercises themselves are nice!)
  • Squat jacks (jack starting position then drop/jump into a squat with legs slightly spread/turned outward, and repeat)
  • Power jumps (again it's from "Insanity": kind of a darebee "knee tuck jump" + tapping the knees each time)
  • Hit the floor
  • Kb squats
  • Hop heel clicks
  • (Toe tap hops)
  • Bounce+squat
  • Sprinter lunges

I also think one thing that would work for me is doing a pushup in between exercises as "sneaky/proxy/dummy burpee" (i.e. makes you drop to the ground and get back up, it's a kind of "fake" burpee between exercises - also a classic martial arts/boxing conditioning drill, of course! - that also work/train the pushup exercise which is undeniably one of the GOATs).

Last edited:

Al Raven

Ranger from Switzerland
Draft of the single set:
  1. 2min-5min jumping jacks (or jump rope)
  2. Kb swings or Combat Move/combo (either for 10-20 reps or for 30'' to 1min)
  3. 30'' Plyo exercise 1
  4. Kb squats
  5. 30'' Plyo exercise 2
  6. 1 min sprint high knees
Bonus/"extra credit" (which means I can avoid it if too tired, which is 100% gonna happen some days): is doing a pushup between each exercise

Al Raven

Ranger from Switzerland
Draft of the single set:
  1. 2min-5min jumping jacks (or jump rope)
  2. Kb swings or Combat Move/combo (either for 10-20 reps or for 30'' to 1min)
  3. 30'' Plyo exercise 1
  4. Kb squats
  5. 30'' Plyo exercise 2
  6. 1 min sprint high knees
Bonus/"extra credit" (which means I can avoid it if too tired, which is 100% gonna happen some days): is doing a pushup between each exercise
Would appreciate some feedback/thoughts!

Al Raven

Ranger from Switzerland
Basic weekly plan:
  • Doing running OR this wkt (which I'll call my "Raven HIT wkt" - HIT for "high intensity training", not necessarily with intervals...) at least three times a week.
  • Pushups and pullups training throughout the week: during the HIT workouts, and on non-cardio/HIT days, probably a type of "Greasing the Groove" format or doing one or two short pushup and/or pullups-focused workouts.
  • Physio/knee exercises -> to be defined (it might change the amount of times I do running/HIT workouts; hopefully it will be set by Friday)

Al Raven

Ranger from Switzerland
I feel like this workout template/format works for me (aside from physio wkts, gym stuff, running maybe, pushup and pullup training - all varying depending on energy and so on):
  • Can scale it/increase the level as I get back to being fitter etc
  • Fine to do a few (3-4) sets if I don't have time or low energy/motivation; while I can on the contrary try doing "as many sets as possible" when I have more energy
  • I like jumping jacks, high knees, kettlebell swings, kettlebell squats, and they're some of the best fat-burning/cardio-training exercises
  • Extra feature/challenge if I feel like it: drop down, do a pushup, come back up between exercises (as I explained previously, this is a sort of "dummy burpee", I think that's a neat trick^^)
  • Having two slots where I can pick exercises means I can mix it up a bit and make it a bit more fun or challenging
    • (I called them "Plyo exercises" since most are jump-based, but it's not set in stone - e.g. combat moves or combos are fine!)
  • Still relatively short, i.e. between 20 and 45min, which I like

Al Raven

Ranger from Switzerland
We'll see, I think these four or five things (physio/knee, pushup-pullup training, Raven circuit/HIIT, running)are a nice plan to focus on in the upcoming months, in parallel to eating better (and greener). Of course the knee/physio rehab does remain my priority, but the exercises I've been given constitute a solid workout on their own (if done back to back)
Let's keep that motivation up!
Now that I'm settled, the difficult/crucial part is staying committed to it instead of changing every two or three weeks.