Life is but a journey....

from Australia
Today I begin my journey to a new, healthy fitter me.

A little about me. I live in a small country town in Australia. I have been following dare bee for about 6-7 years and have dabbled in some programs, challenges and workouts over the years on and off. I have never posted any threads or comments, so I'm hoping this will help me stay accountable by posting as often as I can about any progress, achievements and what workouts I have done. My most recent weight is 141kgs (5 foot 9). (The heaviest I ever got was back in 2016 at 149.9kg, before turning it around and getting down to 103kg in 2021). Due to some traumatic events and losses since then, unfortunately my mental, physical and emotional state took a severe beating. Fast forward to now and I am trying to regain my life and independence back, one baby step at a time. Its been a very long road. My goal to not so much to reach a set goal weight number, but to improve my mental, physical and emotional state through not only exercise and weight loss but through much need counselling support and medication. I recently joined my local gym (This was very nerve racking stepping back into one) and I have primarily been focusing on the treadmill, bike and stairs. I try to get to my local pools when I can - mainly just to tread water and use the hydro pool. Any tips, are more than welcome. Any support is welcomed. Here's to on wards and upwards, one step at a time...

Deadoks

Viking from Belgium
"Berserker"
Welcome to the hive!

What are your plan now? What programs are you going to follow?
Depending of your level of health and cardio condition you can choose from level 1 to 5.

If you begin after a long rest and no sport you should begin with a difficulty one program and follow it every day and post your result here, it helps a lot believe me!
Recovery, Vitality, baseline, square one and foundation light are good to begin with. Then you'll do more and more month after month.
It's a long journey you begin.

All the best!

Damer

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Warrior Monk from Terra
Pronouns: He/Him
@Life is but a journey... welcome here and I am glad you decided to take this step. We have a sizeable corpus of neuroscientific research that shows the willingness to articulate our goals and make ourselves accountable to ourselves is the first real step we can take towards being responsible for our own fitness and wellbeing. Everything else then stems from there. Posts here inspire many other people who, like yourself, need some time before they reach the moment when the first, all-important, step needs to be taken.

We have this video which I hope cal also help add some perspective.

from Australia
Hello to all and thank you for your warm welcomes. @Deadoks @Damer @Fremen @aku-chan @Mamatigerj @Anek @MadamMeow @Mianevem.

@Deadoks

I found 2 warm ups, 1 program, 1 challenge and 1 cool down several times a day worked best. I usually only do level 1 - 3 sets on each one. Using body weight alone. So per month I select 4 - 30 day programs, 3-4 challenges, 2 Warm Ups, 1 Cool down and focus on these. I know it sounds a lot but I have a very sedamentry day out side of all that. Below is usually how I Structure my day - I have started with the Light/ Level 1 Fitness. As my Fitness levels increase I will scale back the number of programs and challenges and increase the number of sets per one.

1. First in the Morning: 2 Min Warm Up + 4 Min Warm Up + 30 Day Foundation Light Program + 30 Day Office Friendly Posture Challenge + Top to Bottom Cool Down
2. Morning Tea/ Lunch: 2 Min Warm Up + 4 Min Warm Up + 30 Day Zero Hero Program + 30 Day Power Grip Challenge + Top to Bottom Cool Down
3. Afternoon Tea/ Dinner: 2 min Warm Up + 4 Min Warm Up + 30 Day Base Line Program + 30 Day Upper Body Light Challenge + Top to Bottom Cool Down
4. Before Bed: 2 Min Warm Up + 4 Min Warm Up + 30 Day of Yoga Program + Top to Bottom Cool Down

As I attend a gym and pool - the gym I aim for 3-4 days per week roughly this takes me about 2 hours a session due to the pace I am doing- the focus here right now is the Treadmill (5km), Bike (5-10Km) and the Stairs starting at 5min and working up in 2 min intervals every 2 weeks (Goal is to reach 20 min constantly for now). The Gym I attend does has evening classes and depending on what I have going on I may slip a few extra class sessions in over the fortnight. (Zumba, Balance, Abs and Booty, Functional Training HIIT, Box Fit, Stretch and Flex and Metafit) As for the pool I aim to get there 2 times a week for about 1 hour sessions. In our town we also have a 5km Park Run that happens on a Saturday. Occassionally I will attend this too but only walk it.

As for meals I stick to basic fruit, vegetables and meat - I have many intolerances and sensitivites so I try to keep it simple. Occassionally I will include Gluten free grains and vegan/ dairy free products. Some meals I will have a meal replacement shake.

Medically I have just found out I have insulin resistance and over active thyroid levels which need adjustments, so this is still leveling its self out.

I aim to drink between 3-4 Litres of water everyday, and I have scaled back on my softdrink, energy drinks and juice drinks.

All of this is small steps and I still have fall backs as I am an emotional eatter but I am working on the triggers that lead to this. (Having a eating disorder Bulimia Nevousa which I have battle for the past 24 years still plays a huge role in my life). Binge eating or no eating at all. Its a vicious cycle.

Areas I need to focus on are strengthening my lower back and both my ankles. Running is not on the cards yet, however I would like to be able to complete in fun runs, and do at least 1 full marathon event. Some obstacle challenges and to find a general sport I enjoy over all. I have seen the walking programs all the way up to marathons so they have definitly caught my eye and are for future goals.

Step by step its all coming togetter, but keeping and sticking to routine is going to be the challenge....

Last edited:
from Australia
Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it to the gym this week at all. I re injured my lower back and was barely able to move. I will attempt tomorrow to attend the gym for a light workout. Main focus on stairs and treadmill. I did get a 3 in 1 Tens Machine while shopping today. These are fantastic. I found the last time I used one I recovered quicker.
On a positive note: Even though we are nearing the end of summer and coming into the cooler months I finally found some swim wear in my size. YAY!! It is so hard to find something comfortable in swim wear. I prefer one piece or a one piece with a dress type top over it. Its very hard to find anything in the size 24-26 in small towns, so unless you drive 2.5 hours + to the larger communities/ cities. Chances are slim. In my local town the pool closes usually at the end of March/ April (around Easter), and then reopen around September. However 40 - 45mins drive down the road in another town they have a indoor 25m pool and a hydro pool. (Mainly Good Friday, Easter weekend and Christmas Day they are closed) So perfect all year round. My goal is to incorporate 1-2 sessions a week.
Sunday just gone was the only time I got any exercise in. This was a 1 hour walk - 4kms around the local Industrial Estate opposite to where I live.
My eating did go a little bit over the place this week, I did in corporate a vegan meal replacement shake in. Enjoyable, so will stick with these for now. After today's shopping, salads, fruit, vegetables and snacks are restocked.

I hope everyone has a blessed, productive and enjoyable week...Keep at it Bees!! Stay Safe.