Author of a Thousand Fails

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
"Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today"
Healing vibes for your foot, that sucks :vibes:

We have Mormon missionaries over here in Europe, too. At least I've seen them in bigger towns sometimes. Always young men with black slacks, white dress shirts, backpacks and a nametag, always in pairs. They're very polite and friendly, but for a long time I always thought they were super shady, con-artists probably, until someone told me what was up with them. I have no idea what they're doing in Europe, but I've never seen them talk to anyone of their own accord. :confused:

OJJJEM

Mother of Dragons Posts: 46
Healing vibes for your foot, that sucks :vibes:

We have Mormon missionaries over here in Europe, too. At least I've seen them in bigger towns sometimes. Always young men with black slacks, white dress shirts, backpacks and a nametag, always in pairs. They're very polite and friendly, but for a long time I always thought they were super shady, con-artists probably, until someone told me what was up with them. I have no idea what they're doing in Europe, but I've never seen them talk to anyone of their own accord. :confused:
:hehehe::hehehe::hehehe: Well, you certainly wouldn't be the first to believe that! One person thought they were a gay couple serving some sort of "Scarlet Letter" type sentence. The most common belief, though, is "cult". They've also been accused of being door to door salesmen, devil worshippers, and government agents... Really, most of them are sci-fi and cult classic nerds with hidden athletic or artistic talents...
1664747367612.png

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
Interesting. I imagined them to be very... tame? Conservative? Traditional?
But really, do you have an idea what exactly they're doing in Europe? My partner once told me that Mitt Romney was in Europe once as a missionary for the Mormons and started hating Europe so much because he wasn't treated very well. He has no idea if there's truth to this story, though, but I found it interesting, especially because he said he had heard that many young Mormons returning from Europe had made similar experiences. Makes me wonder even more what they're doing over here.

OJJJEM

Interesting. I imagined them to be very... tame? Conservative? Traditional?
But really, do you have an idea what exactly they're doing in Europe? My partner once told me that Mitt Romney was in Europe once as a missionary for the Mormons and started hating Europe so much because he wasn't treated very well. He has no idea if there's truth to this story, though, but I found it interesting, especially because he said he had heard that many young Mormons returning from Europe had made similar experiences. Makes me wonder even more what they're doing over here.
Mormons serve missions in any country where religious freedom permits them to be. They're in Europe because they were called to serve there when they applied for their missions. Serving a mission anywhere is hard, though, as they face frequent (and often rude) rejections on a daily basis (imagine telemarketing)... You will find that there are a LOT of LDS Christians all over Europe. For an idea of just how many, you can GoogleMaps LDS temples... The Church only builds temples in areas where there are enough members in a given area.
I don't know much about Mitt Romney, but I believe he served in France where there was a very strong Catholic community, and if it's anything like the strong Catholic community that I grew up in, they probably saw him as a heathen. No clue whether or not he hated his mission.
As for the universal question of why missionaries are still serving missions in a place that may yield a greater outcome of regret than satisfaction... That has more to do with those few who ARE reached and served and come to know that somewhere out there, someone loves them... It's the hope for making a difference in even ONE person's life that drives a missionary.

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
Thank you for taking the time to explain a few things. I still have a few questions regarding all that missionary thing, but I don't want to derail your thread. Sometimes, I get interested in the weirdest things, at least for me, as I have no idea about religions.
Again, thank you very much :)

OJJJEM

@lofivelcro You're welcome to message me anytime. Thank you for your consideration for my thread... I wish I had thought of that... HAHAHA!

Breakfast: clementine and peanut butter sandwich
Dinner: Tuna and mixed veggies
snack: some leftover cabbage stew

FITNESS:
I walked this morning all over my orchard, if that counts. I spent the afternoon with my foot up, though. The bruise is small, which I am so grateful for... Just don't want to cause any more damage if it's blood pressure causing the bruising.

Weight, unknown
0 consecutive days working out