Anybody got advice for keeping a consistent schedule of training?

FlaminFang

Pronouns: male pronouns
"interest in strength training (views for getting strong, and getting in better shape)"
I'm a teen attempting to get into shape (a little overweight) and build up strength for my next few years.
I've already set up a mini-schedule where every consecutive day I would follow an exercise before starting a task or going to sleep.

But recently, I've been finding it hard to keep this consistent schedule while tackling other things happening throughout my life.
For one, there's homework, plenty of chores around the house, and generally also procrastination problems (this has been a problem not just with exercising)
As so, I've been forced to skip days of exercise or do every day of exercise to keep up with my schedule while still finishing everything and also keeping a consistent sleep schedule (I mostly get 7-8 hours of sleep)

Does anyone have any advice for keeping a consistent schedule, or just general advice on which exercises to follow if I want to build up strength, and stamina, or get into shape?
I have really only been bookmarking exercises and consistently doing the "Bigger, Stronger" exercise for about 2-4 reps every consecutive day.

Rocinante

Scout from NJ USA
What worked for me was to decide to start working out first thing in the morning. I started going to bed just a few minutes earlier so I could get up a little earlier. Then I cut down the time I used first thing to have coffee, read news, etc. before getting started on the day. Instead of 30 minutes or whatever I cut it to about 10-15, and that along with the 15-20 minutes I was getting up earlier gave me enough time in the AM to get in a workout and still have that AM coffee. I didn't start with anything too extreme, just something to get in to the rhythm, and after a few weeks it was easier, and after a bit more it was second nature. Now almost 10 years later and it really is just what I do. I may not work out at 100% every day, but I still stick to it and it is very rare that I don't do something in a day.

As far as what exercises, since this is Darebee, I'd suggest to look at the Programs and start with one geared toward your goals, but also not limit yourself to just that - Variety is good and keeps you from getting bored. And even if a program may not be exactly what you want, do something is better for your overall fitness than nothing. And most of the programs can be done in less 30 minutes a day or even less, so it isn't that much of a sacrifice to fit in to your day, you just have to find the time that works for you and decide that yes this is what you're going to do.
Good luck.

Shaarawi

Hunter from Alexandria, Egypt
@FlaminFang The sign of success is when you start to complaining. Conitune post here until you feel good and workouts becoming daily habit.

Think of it as a project,
1) create a plan
2) start very small
3) do it daily
4) never think, look at your plan and do it
5) keep post your progression
6) get advices from others (who will give only positive feedback)
7) trust of God

In Darebee, start with programs that you can do it, even it is very easy for you, challenge yourself

Hope this help!

You need to find a time to exercise , for example you may exercise at the morning or before lunch.
Also you may consider, if you need to eat something before exercise, for example if you use weights or doing intense exercise
At the night before bed you may do standing meditation

guibo94

Gladiator from New Asgard
"Silent but deadly."
In addition to all the suggestions so far, I would like to add one thing that really helped me stay consistent which was to change my perspective. What I mean by that is I started looking at fitness goals in terms of months and years instead of days and weeks. I give myself goals for the month and then I fit them in whenever I can throughout the week as opposed to making a daily checklist (that I always fail with). I also assess my routine and training monthly instead of weekly so missing a day or two or three in a row doesn't really matter if I get most of my training in for the entire month. Right now I am focused on resistance training and my goal is to do three sessions each week, but sometimes I only get 1 or 2 but over the past 18 months I have been actively training consistently, which is the longest stretch for me since I stopped sports and I am the strongest I have ever felt. I am not going to win any awards or competitions, but I enjoy training now more than ever and I am staying consistent with it better than I ever have. Lastly, start small, easy, and something fun so it doesn't feel like a chore.

Good luck!

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Hey, just wanted to jump on the bandwagon.

There's no real trick to it - it's about doing it, and doing it again and again until it becomes automatic. I'm at the point where I go to the gym and workout because I'm used to doing it, and on certain days when I don't want to, I go anyway - because I've made it a habit.

Greasing the groove is helpful if your schedule is inconsistent. Pick a good bang for your buck exercise (like squats), and throughout the day, whenever you have time, do the same number of repetitions.